Blue Jays Discussion: Post Non-Waiver Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Alford currently with a 13 game hitting streak. Double and home run so far tonight.

Can't wait for him to get called up in September. Hopefully they view September as a try out for guys like Alford and Jansen.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
If I'm Ian Kinsler I say money well spent with his $10,000 fine for his comments on Angel Hernandez

It's not the money he should be worried about.

If you thought umps were anal before...Just imagine what happens when you **** off the union. Unfortunately I expect kinsler will have a target on his back and get shafted the rest of his career simply for speaking the truth.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
He simply doesn't strike out or miss many baseball's. If that power continues to develop he could be one beast of a catcher. I can't believe so many scouting services are sleeping on him still.

I did read recently that one scout feels his defence needs work. I think it was on fangraphs. Still wouldn't warrant the low rating he has been getting though.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I did read recently that one scout feels his defence needs work. I think it was on fangraphs. Still wouldn't warrant the low rating he has been getting though.

Defense can be a tricky thing to evaluate in the majors let alone the minors. How many catchers actually grade out positively at year's end? Defensive metrics are more advanced for outfielders and infielders but I think quite a bit of work needs to be done to improve the grading of catchers defensively.

Jansen has the potential to be elite offensively for a catcher...If his defense is a legit concern I'll take my chances that he can be coached up by Martin and improve to be average defensively.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Defense can be a tricky thing to evaluate in the majors let alone the minors. How many catchers actually grade out positively at year's end? Defensive metrics are more advanced for outfielders and infielders but I think quite a bit of work needs to be done to improve the grading of catchers defensively.

Jansen has the potential to be elite offensively for a catcher...If his defense is a legit concern I'll take my chances that he can be coached up by Martin and improve to be average defensively.

Definitely. Jansen is still young and lots of time to improve. This is the only place where I have read where his defense is called into question. Most, if not all the rest, will say his defense is average.

Here is the article.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-fringe-five-baseballs-most-compelling-fringe-prospects-99/

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Definitely. Jansen is still young and lots of time to improve. This is the only place where I have read where his defense is called into question. Most, if not all the rest, will say his defense is average.

Here is the article.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-fringe-five-baseballs-most-compelling-fringe-prospects-99/

Yeah, I've had discussions about him elsewhere and a couple people have insisted his defense is terrible purely based on the Longenhagen stuff. I'm not suggesting he's a great defender or anything, and it's certainly possible he won't stay behind the plate, but I'll have to see more evidence than that before I write him off the way some seem happy to do.

The contact ability is crazy. One K in 44 PA since getting to Buffalo.

I'm really excited to see how it translates to the majors.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
but has longenhagen ever even published anything about jansen anywhere? i've never read his take. is this just behind the scenes fangraphs writers talk?

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Law says word is his defence is fine. Not good but passable. Seems like Longenhangen is just especially down on it.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
but has longenhagen ever even published anything about jansen anywhere? i've never read his take. is this just behind the scenes fangraphs writers talk?

He's asked about him in chats occasionally.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008

Its come up in his prospect chats once or twice.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yeah I found one of the chats and he didn't mention his defense.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I find it interesting that they are using Alford on the corners quite a bit. He's in LF tonight.

I doubt they punt pillar to the curb as long as his defense is good/great.

By the #s his defence is still pretty good to great, but it's stepped down by varying degrees depending on the metric.UZR/150 and Fangraphs' "Def" WAR component both have a pretty hefty drop. DRS is a smaller drop once you extrapolate for the rest of the season, but it's still there.

This might be the right time to sell. He'll still have value while his D is considered elite and people still have fresh-ish memories of him not wholly sucking with the bat this year

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
By the #s his defence is still pretty good to great, but it's stepped down by varying degrees depending on the metric.UZR/150 and Fangraphs' "Def" WAR component both have a pretty hefty drop. DRS is a smaller drop once you extrapolate for the rest of the season, but it's still there.

This might be the right time to sell. He'll still have value while his D is considered elite and people still have fresh-ish memories of him not wholly sucking with the bat this year

I would be fine selling pillar but I don't see management considering it. I also don't see a team coming up with an offer good enough to tempt the jays.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
pillar couldn't make a catch the first month or two but has really got his defensive game back since.

he's back up to 12th in mlb in dwar, 5th among OF.and i bet he finishes higher than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad