Blue Jays Discussion: Post Non-Waiver Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Not Lane, Jake.

And the MLB teams tend to let there true prospect starters cut their teeth at Double-A and make the jump from there (I believe the Jays most important pitching roving instructor operates out of NH). Triple-A is reserved for slightly lower ceiling types, like Rios and Pannone, who will likely be the key guys in that rotation, coupled with burn out quad A guys.

If your AAA team is in the PCL, I agree. This year in the IL though a team like the Rays have had: Brent Honeywell, Jacob Snell, Jose De Leon, Yonny Chirinos, Jacob Faria, and Ryan Yarbrough.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
If your AAA team is in the PCL, I agree. This year in the IL though a team like the Rays have had: Brent Honeywell, Jacob Snell, Jose De Leon, Yonny Chirinos, Jacob Faria, and Ryan Yarbrough.

Agreed, it changes from org to org. I believe their lead guy is based with their Triple-A team (or at least, that's how they used to be structured).

Where does Pearce play then?

He is not a left fielder.

Neither is JD :laugh:. Actually, JD is probably worse in the OF. Elsewhere via trade. One of those good stop gaps you hold on until Martinez is signed, and then you figure it out after that.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Neither is JD :laugh:. Actually, JD is probably worse in the OF. Elsewhere via trade. One of those good stop gaps you hold on until Martinez is signed, and then you figure it out after that.

Then we have.

1B/Smoak
LF/Pearce
DH/Martinez

That could work, especially with the options now for the outfield.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
If you can trade one of Smoak, Morales, or Pearce, it frees up room for improving the OF defense. You don't then add another DH.

The only way Martinez makes the slightest bit of sense is if you trade two of those guys, and even then, I would rather just keep Pearce and spend the Martinez money elsewhere.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Was going to ask how Bo and Vlad are doing since the promotion, but I guess pretty good?

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Alford might've injured himself. He was pulled from the game tonight. I think there was a play at the plate where he got thrown out so that might've been where he got injured.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Does anyone know anything about Maximo Castillo? He's the starting pitcher for the Bluefield Blue Jays today, he's 18 and he has a 3.95 ERA with a 7.90 K/9 and a 1.65 BB/9, but I can't find any scouting report on him "I found a short description of him from BA but it's from 2015."

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
If you can trade one of Smoak, Morales, or Pearce, it frees up room for improving the OF defense. You don't then add another DH.

The only way Martinez makes the slightest bit of sense is if you trade two of those guys, and even then, I would rather just keep Pearce and spend the Martinez money elsewhere.

Where?

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I mean at what point do you just move Bichette up to AA (The league where all the very real prospects are).

It looks like high A is no more of a challenge for him than low A was.

2 hits and a walk tonight. Now hitting .410

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
None of Morales or Pearce should have any barring on signing JD Martinez. Morales isn't very good. And Pearce can't be counted on to be healthy as a full time player. If we do sign Martinez i think he comes here as a full time outfielder.

I don't know if that is the route management will go. It'll be interesting to see how much of this "becoming younger, more athletic and versatile" talk will come into play. You have to figure they want to give the Hernandez kid a legit look in the majors. Besides LF and RF we don't have many positional roster spots open for next season.

Morales should be moved but i think they like him more than most. He clearly clogs up a DH spot that should be used as a rotation position for some of our older guys. Does another team pick him up?

Pearce shouldn't be in the OF outside of an emergency/seriously part time scenario. I don't mind him but he's another guy that should be moved if the right situation comes around.

I want to see what we do with Donaldson. That is the big domino that should set what we do with the rest of the roster. You keep him and you should keep adding to the team. If we aren't resigning him then you trade him and start the rebuild.

Sanchez, Osuna, Stroman, Bichette, Guerrero + Donaldson return isn't a terrible start to a rebuild.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
SRF
IP: 7
Hits 9
ER: 3
K's: 2
BB: 0

85 pitches (66 strikes)

Had 1 bad inning. He gave up hits but threw a lot of strikes today. He just needs more consistency in his outings.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
I mean at what point do you just move Bichette up to AA (The league where all the very real prospects are).

It looks like high A is no more of a challenge for him than low A was.

2 hits and a walk tonight. Now hitting .410

Still only 20 games so far at High A. I get that he is destroying it but he is also 19 years old, there's no real need to rush him. If he continues to destroy High A like this, I'd imagine Bichette starts in AA next season with a chance to be in the majors in September.

Should be a top 10 prospect in the league though IMO.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Still only 20 games so far at High A. I get that he is destroying it but he is also 19 years old, there's no real need to rush him. If he continues to destroy High A like this, I'd imagine Bichette starts in AA next season with a chance to be in the majors in September.

Should be a top 10 prospect in the league though IMO.

If he continues this for 2 more weeks I dont see any real point in keeping him at Dunedin seeing it proved to be really no more of a challenge than Lansing was. If the kid is good enough hes good enough. I get the rushing thing but Devers is in the majors right now with the Sox as a 20yo. I'm not saying call him up or rush him to the majors but at a certain point if hes hitting .400 and the sample size gets larger the league really isnt challenging him.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Following the Toronto Blue Jays' actions at the trade deadline, GM Ross Atkins joined Bob McCown and Arden Zwelling on Prime Time Sports to talk about the moves the team made, and how you come to the conclusion of trading certain players.

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-5/Ross-Atkins-on-Prime-Time-Sports-PTS-20170801-Interview.mp3

“Really, that’s one of the benefits of having not traded him (Marco Estrada). It increases our likelihood to stay more engaged and focus on him as an alternative for 2018.â€

“We’ll see. That takes two parties. And we’ve got to work through alternatives, and work though all of the scenarios.â€

“It’s not going to happen overnight that we have a robust farm system and we have a very young, controllable major league team that’s extremely athletic, extremely versatile, extremely durable, with depth.â€

“We benefitted from [Houston’s] depth greatly. I don’t think that Teoscar Hernandez would’ve been available to us had they not had so much outfield depth.
They were moving from an area of depth that most teams with an asset like that are not moving at a trade deadline in a rental scenario."

“That’s a compliment to [Houston.] They’ve been able to build up that much depth. We’re going to continue to obsess on that, on building from the bottom and building from within. It’s just going to take time. If we can continue to win while we’re doing that, that’s the grand slam. Thatâ€s the home run. That’s what we’re trying to do.â€

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
All players have to be placed on revocable waivers to be traded now. Every team can put in a claim on said player. It's not like other sports. Once a team puts in a claim the Jays can then negotiate a trade, give said player away for nothing or pull him back from waivers. If they can't work out a trade with that team then can move on to the next team that put in a claim on that player. Essentially every team can put in a claim. Priority goes worst to be in said players league so in your example American League first and then worst to best in the national league.

I'm surprised anyone who was watching the Jays really close in 2015 doesn't know how August trading works, considering the Yankees used it to screw us when we passed them for the division (putting in a waiver claim on David Robertson with absolutely no intention of trading for him or picking him up, just so the Jays couldn't work out an August trade to help the bullpen).

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'm surprised anyone who was watching the Jays really close in 2015 doesn't know how August trading works, considering the Yankees used it to screw us when we passed them for the division (putting in a waiver claim on David Robertson with absolutely no intention of trading for him or picking him up, just so the Jays couldn't work out an August trade to help the bullpen).

C4G knows what trade waivers are, he was asking whether or not a player could bypass the waivers and be traded but lose playoff eligibility (and the answer was no).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->