Post-mortem on the season

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Still doesn't really apply. MAF was great for us last year, and he'd still be here if not for the expansion draft rules regarding protecting players. The reason he's gone is not because he was a problem, it was because it meant keeping him or Murray, the goalie who is more than a decade younger and had just played a crucial role in back to back Cup wins. :laugh:

Well that, and the salary cap.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yes they have been... so much pain and disappointment. They just blew their emotional money shot.

It read of someone who would stab a stuffed penguin with pins in a room with a flickering lightbulb laughing psychotically.

If Tampa wipes the floor with them, they'll raise a "BEAT PITTSBURGH" banner at the start of next season.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Too bad the Canadiens dont have much.

1 slightly used French Canadien would have Bergy salivating.

We could even throw in the rumor he can play Center in a pinch.
No joking, I know the Habs would trade the farm for Tanger. But like you said, they don't have any of the pieces we'd need in return. Lots of potential guys at forward, but absolutely nothing on defense.

Reactions: USMC607

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
There are a lot of different criticisms but for me the top one is the lack of detail in their game. It plagued them from game 1 this season. Sticks not in lanes, poor positioning, poor gap, half assed backchecking, a step late supporting, F3's not covering the pinch, a step late and lazy angles on the forecheck, etc.

We let the opposition break out and navigate the NZ far too easily. When we gained possession in the DZ, there were far too many turnovers and often a lack of support on chips. I think the top issue this off season is fixing transition play, both improving ours and impeding the opposition's. So, while personnel can be tweaked, focusing on regaining the detail is essential in my mind.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
No joking, I know the Habs would trade the farm for Tanger. But like you said, they don't have any of the pieces we'd need in return. Lots of potential guys at forward, but absolutely nothing on defense.

Mete is a solid young piece...Petry is a top 4 Dman. Certainly have a few peices to give on defense.

Juulsen too.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Why isn't anyone taking Malkin to task?

Selfish plays, lots of turnovers and a cheap shot gone wrong cost him and the Pens a lot.

I agree. He was not good. Yeah he was injured, which I get. Still disappointed by the amount of dumb plays he made.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
You could certainly compare Letang to MAF in teams of game-altering brain biffs.
Thing is, Letang has always done those but has saved a lot of them w speed/athleticism. He's lost that particle of a step now. Bottom line his issues are IQ-related and he's old enough now that he won't improve in that area. And he will only decline in athleticism.

Is he big buds w Sid? That could explain why the local media seems to have zero expectation he'll be moved.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
1) JR did a great job getting Sheahan, Brassard and Oleksiak. Reaves trade was unnecessary but he didn't double down on it and he used the good karma from Fleury to great effect in the Brassard trade. 2 birds, 1 stone. Sheahan played well enough to be a 3C in the 2nd half of the year, I have no doubt Brassard will be even better next year. Oleksiak has some chinks in his game but I think he's perfect for our team going forward.

2) Injuries. We didn't have great luck with the timing of injuries this year. Brassard's injury reduced his ability to build chemistry, Kessel's injury and ironman streak meant he was useless in the playoffs which apart from our systems I think was the biggest issue, Geno's injury meant we couldn't take advantage of the Caps early in the series. There's an aspect of luck when it comes to the cup, we got a LOT last year and not much this year.

3) Systems. I've said before that I think we should commit to the more aggressive system even if we have injuries and are letting a few too many goals in. I crapped on about how in January we started attacking the points and that's the only point this season we looked like a dangerous team. We aren't the sort of team that should play a passive defensive system like we did early in the year and especially against the Caps. We're not built for it.

4) Individual players.
Sid - clearly took it easy in the regular season and then owned the playoffs. I think that's what we're going to get from now on.
Guentzel - navigated his sophomore season reasonably well considering his usage changed every night. Same as for Sid in the playoffs. What a find. I expect even more next year now that we have our centre depth sorted and he can play with Sid all year.
Letang - had a pretty good year in the regular season considering where he was 6 months earlier. He was inconsistent defensively all year though and was victimised at times in the playoffs and needs to be better in that aspect next year. I suspect he will be and with a more aggressive system in place his strengths will be more on display.
Horny, Hagelin - struggled early and then played great from January when the system (temporarily) adjusted.
Schultz - had an average year, not as great as the previous but still very top 4 worthy. I hope he sees more 1st unit powerplay time next season.
Maatta - was far better this year than last, hopefully we're saying the same thing again next season! Get those plyometrics and sprints going asap Olli.
Murray - had a down year with a lot of extenuating circumstances, but I have no doubt he'll bounce back next year. Jarry looked close to being ready, but also was inconsistent.
Sheary - I think was more like his real self after a ridiculously good year the previous. With the amount of scoring depth we have when healthy, not sure we need him anymore.
Rust - continued to be Rust.
Malkin, Kessel - were fantastic in the regular season and unfortunately ended up injured in the playoffs. We're a different team when they're on and they're the reason we even MADE the playoffs.
Sheahan - underwhelmed to start the year but was everything we hoped he'd be later in the season. I hope we can keep him and he doesn't ask for an expanded role on another team.
Brassard, Oleksiak - looked good after the deadline but were out of sorts in the playoffs. I think they'll be better next year.
Dumo - tbh I can't recall how he was in the regular season but he was certainly fantastic in the playoffs. Hope he builds on that next year.
Rookies - Aston-Reese, Sprong should be on the team next year. ZAR looked like an impact player for his first ~10 games. Hopefully he's more THAT player next year. Sprong is clearly NHL ready, but it will take him time to figure out how to generate consistent offense at the top level.

5) Sully. Had an ok year. I think he clearly gets it and eventually gets to what I think is the right lines and ways to play, but I still disagree on playing passive when we're not healthy. I think we should always play aggressive, even if half our D are injured or we're on the PK. Still think we clearly have a great coach on our hands. I want us to play our January system all year no matter what.

Overall I think we have little to complain about and the crapping on about individual players in the playoffs is overblown. Hopefully we can come back healthier, hungrier next year and play our game all year and buzzsaw the playoffs again. We only need some minor tweaks in the off season and some better luck and we'll be even stronger next year.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Why isn't anyone taking Malkin to task?

Selfish plays, lots of turnovers and a cheap shot gone wrong cost him and the Pens a lot.
Because Malkin was good in this playoffs and could be better if he didn't get hurt. Also, he could help the team more if he had wingers/dman who would/could finish his set ups, because he set up plenty of grand A chances for his teammates through this playoffs. All things considering, he was pretty pretty good. He, as practically the whole team, needs to get better at finishing chances, tho.

What cheapshot gone wrong are you talking about? He didn't initiate contact with a Flyer. Lehtera hit him and he was falling, what he was supposed to do. Such bs. And what selfish plays? What he does out there is battling as hard for his team as he can.

Why Letang's defenders try to shift focus on Malkin lol. Second time I see this recently. Adequate/non-biased against Geno people, would understand that there's no comparsion, at least this season or post-season or any of recent post-seasons.
Try something different.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Sullivan takes top blame in my book. Great coach. Hard to say anything bad about him actually. But I feel he made some crucial errors this year.

He refused to adjust to what the Caps were doing. How many 2 on 1's against does he have to see before he tells the D not to pinch?

He refused to give Sprong a serious look all year. Now, unlike most around here, I don't think Sprong's the 2nd coming of Eric Tangradi. But the kid could have helped.

He didn't force Phil to sit at the end of the year, for fear of breaking up Phil's precious streak. Then worse, he wouldn't take him off the PP when it was obvious he couldn't even handle the puck.

He also didn't play the team JR assembled for him (Reaves, Cole). Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but when JR talked about the Reaves trade, and how he wouldn't be played anyway, it seemed he was a little peeved about it?

Like I said, great coach. Hard to find fault with anything he does. But these things went a long way to us losing IMO.
I wouldn't give him the top blame, but agree with your points otherwise.

Plus, I often very much disagree with his line combos. Many of which are alogical and unbalanced and make it harder for the players out there .
Alos his stubborness to not change things when it clearly doesn't work.

It would be eiser if we had more players (wingers really) with better all around game,like Guentzel for example, but what we have is - many guys, that good at one or couple things and other guys that good at other thing(s), and it all needs to be balanced, when you put a line out there.

On this forum, I noticed many posters are very defensive of Sully and/or JR. Idk, I don't want Sully fired, but I'd like to see him get better with things, that I think are his minuses. At least slightly so, as I understand there's no perfect coaches out there.
I wouldn't mind Rutherford gone in some time tbh (not now), as I never been a fan. Hopefully there would be some good replacement options at the time.

Last edited:

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Geno is untouchable here. Don't ever question him.
Geno, the guy that unless he is ni full God mode, he gets c... from all sides, pgh media, half of this board, etc, are you talking about that guy, the guy that f..... carried this team all season long who had a very decent playoffs, playing hurt yet giving it all...that Geno, or maybe you are talking about someone else...Dear Lord....

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
There are a lot of different criticisms but for me the top one is the lack of detail in their game. It plagued them from game 1 this season. Sticks not in lanes, poor positioning, poor gap, half assed backchecking, a step late supporting, F3's not covering the pinch, a step late and lazy angles on the forecheck, etc.

We let the opposition break out and navigate the NZ far too easily. When we gained possession in the DZ, there were far too many turnovers and often a lack of support on chips. I think the top issue this off season is fixing transition play, both improving ours and impeding the opposition's. So, while personnel can be tweaked, focusing on regaining the detail is essential in my mind.
the funny thing about that is that Sully has been preaching about all the above issues literally since Game 2, I think Sully trusted all his players including likes of Sheary until the last minute that they will flip the switch, or do the right thing...

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
The discussion on Letang is similar to the one about Fleury. The two sides are hunkered down and the folks in the middle observe and wonder why. If you don't see the issues with him and how they will grow, not decrease, with time....you have blinders on. If you don't see how he can at times drive the team's offense and be one our only physical players in the d zone......you have blinders on.

I have nothing against him, and there are times that he truly shines. But as I see it, the mistakes are now too prominent and our team has moved on from depending on his offensive capability. We don't need him to score. Do we need someone who can quarterback the powerplay, pass well, and exit our zone rapidly? Indeed. But he is not that player.

I have never seen a top d pass like Letang. He flings the puck, many times to the other team. He relies on stretch passes that are picked off instead of short passes that are safer. After 10 years, Letang can't set Malkin up for a slapshot.

He makes risky plays at points in the game that often end up costing. Those mistakes remind me of Fleury because they happen at crucial moments.

The Pittsburgh Penguins don't need a top player with his range of lows to highs. I can deal with high risk play from Malkin and Crosby because they nearly always make up for mistakes and they drive the team. We need both of them to lead our offense.

We don't need risky on defense, we will score as much as we need to in most games. We need stability and responsibility and Letang will never provide that.

Again, he can be a tremendous player and I will thank him for many special moments. I don't know if there is a more appropriate guy we can sign or what is out there. But I have to think it's time the team moves on.

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
I thought Malkin had a very solid playoffs given his obvious injury and the injuries of his linemates. 4 goals in 8.5 games (a couple of them were pure effort goals), a couple of posts, and some HUGE plays at clutch times that weren't rewarded (Maatta missing the highlight reel tap-in to tie Game 5 late, Schultz missing Geno's set up in the slot to go ahead late in the 2nd in Game 6).

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
just stop there you are embarrasing yourself...
If your turning a blind eye to a slew foot gone wrong then you're downright being a homer. Clear as day.

Pens needed Malkin clicking on cylinders and he just wasn't.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The “I don’t know if he can be replaced but it’s time to trade him no matter what” group is simply talking to hear themselves. You have a player with issues who at the same time elevates your teams transition to such an extent that you go from bottom 10 in CF% without him to 5th with him. Yes, he was dreadful at times this year. Doesn’t mean the grass is greener when you give a lesser player his responsibilities. You have to trade him and make the defense *better*, not just different because game 5 offended you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad