Post-mortem on the season

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I'm not buying the fatigue cop out either, our worst player this series didn't even play last year. I will admit they looked like a totally different team last night. Game 5 was Game 7. Watching their "best defenseman" hand the Caps the game was demoralizing.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm not buying the fatigue cop out either, our worst player this series didn't even play last year. I will admit they looked like a totally different team last night. Game 5 was Game 7. Watching their "best defenseman" hand the Caps the game was demoralizing.

Again, I’d like one of you ppl blaming Letang for last night to explain how he was responsible.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
we'll never know for sure. but murray looked like he was rounding back into form and then Maatta rang one off his noggin and when he came back was back at his earlier in the season form. If that concussion doesn't happen do we get a better version of Murray?

Quite possible. If I recall correctly, I believe a had a 9-game winning streak and ~2.00 GAA during that time. And yes, he struggled after returning.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I love when people make these comments...not everything is cause and effect...my nephew comes to stay with me and the next day I lose my job...it doesn’t mean my nephew was the cause of me losing my job...lol....

The team looked worse after the deadline. Maybe it wasn't cause and effect, maybe it was. All we can do is speculate. I'm not sure why that discussion seems to be taboo on here.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Again, I’d like one of you ppl blaming Letang for last night to explain how he was responsible.

Here you go and this doesn't include him stepping out of the way in beginning of the 3rd in Game 5 and letting them tie the game.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Quite possible. If I recall correctly, I believe a had a 9-game winning streak and ~2.00 GAA during that time. And yes, he struggled after returning.

I mentioned this before, and maybe I'm imagining things, but didn't Murray take a shot off the mask/head during the Flyers series right around Game 4 or something? He was fantastic the first four games of that series, but then after that he seemed to fight the puck and didn't seem like he was tracking the puck as well.

I know he had a couple of good games versus the Caps, but he still wasn't as "brick wall that no one can score on" Murray that we saw much of the first 4 games of the Flyers series.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I mentioned this before, and maybe I'm imagining things, but didn't Murray take a shot off the mask/head during the Flyers series right around Game 4 or something? He was fantastic the first four games of that series, but then after that he seemed to fight the puck and didn't seem like he was tracking the puck as well.

I know he had a couple of good games versus the Caps, but he still wasn't as "brick wall that no one can score on" Murray that we saw much of the first 4 games of the Flyers series.

Yeah, I had forgotten about that. You certainly aren't wrong.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Here you go and this doesn't include him stepping out of the way in beginning of the 3rd in Game 5 and letting them tie the game.

I specifically asked what Letang did wrong yesterday.

A picture means jack shit.

Explain why you think he was at fault on the winning goal... then I’ll tell you why you are wrong.

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
Phil Kessel has got to be the biggest let down.
Single handedly killed many pps, and if he could score any goals wed win.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

A picture means jack ****.

Explain why you think he was at fault on the winning goal... then I’ll tell you why you are wrong.
Game 5 was the Letang game. Colossal error on the Kunznetsov goal to tie it when he completely abandoned his side of the ice, as well as some unbelievably weak defense on the Caps' game winner, watching the play instead of taking the man and/or tying up the stick. He wasn't good in game 3 either.

Last night was just a lack of finish on multiple glorious chances (story of the series, really) and a weak, weak goal by Murray on the Caps' first. But we shouldn't have even had to play in that game if we didn't absolutely hand away two wins in games 3 and 5. /shrug

Reactions: vikingGoalie

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
You find out after elimination what were the injuries and schedule surgeries of the players. Clearly Kessel is hurt and others as well. I think decisions are made based on relative worth vis a vis not playing. Kessel stunk and Letang was shaky as well. So in the next couple of days, see what was the health and restrictions of those injuries. One thing however is the playoff loss will change the dynamic of needed changes to the roster.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018

A picture means jack ****.

Because like he's been doing most of his career. He passed it up to Crosby blue line to blue line and charges up the right side of the ice. Leaving the middle of the ice wide open for what reason? I don't know. Don't even try to say he was going for a line change. I've already debunked that theory in another thread.

Reactions: hockey07278771

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Game 5 was the Letang game. Colossal error on the Kunznetsov goal to tie it when he completely abandoned his side of the ice, as well as some unbelievably weak defense on the Caps' game winner, watching the play instead of taking the man and/or tying up the stick. He wasn't good in game 3 either.

Last night was just a lack of finish on multiple glorious chances (story of the series, really) and a weak, weak goal by Murray on the Caps' first. But we shouldn't have even had to play in that game if we didn't absolutely hand away two wins in games 3 and 5. /shrug

Maybe if Big Rig didn’t f*** up on that brain dead turnover or Maatta didn’t make a couple bad reads that lead to goals, maybe if Dumo made the right read last night on the winning goal, maybe if Sheary didn’t think the playoffs was a two month long version of Halloween, maybe if Sully realized Simon wasn’t a top line player (hurts to type that), maybe if Rust showed up, maybe if Murray played a little better...

Maybe there is a lot of blame to go around, but I’m not into that...

William I NEGLE

Mar 30, 2018
An open letter to the Pittsburgh Penguins and their fans

This really was their cup wasnt it?

A letter rubbing our nose in it, disguised as a congrats on a great run letter.

They truly are trying to convince themselves that they ripped our hearts out of our chest stopping the 3 peat, and that we are just hiding the unbearable pain deep down.

I guess they need to get this out. All these years of losing. The gotta strut around like a peacock as much as they can. Before Tampa Bay rips them back to reality.

That open letter was disgusting. Not that it would have taken an Einstein to figure this out, but wow ... have they been bitter.

Reactions: USMC607

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Because like he's been doing most of his career. He passed it up to Crosby blue line to blue line and charges up the right side of the ice. Leaving the middle of the ice wide open for what reason? I don't know. Don't even try to say he was going for a line change. I've already debunked that theory in another thread.

Well guess what, he was going for a change. Dumo was no longer an outlet and should have taken the middle. What you should be asking is why the weak side blue liner is heading to the attacking blue line when support was already there.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Well guess what, he was going for a change. Dumo was no longer an outlet and should have taken the middle. What you should be asking is why the weak side blue liner is heading to the attacking blue line when support was already there.

1) He never said he was in his presser. We all know Letang will take no blame and would say so if he was. He even went as far as to say "no mistakes" were made giving up a breakaway in OT. 2) You want the LD to change first because the RD can get off at anytime in the offensive zone. 3) The puck was nowhere deep enough to go for a change so even if he did, horrible mistake by him. 4) If he was going for a change somebody would have hopped on. He was 2 strides from the bench. 5) If the puck is on the left side, I want my RD as support and vice versa. It's really simple.

pens-jpg.120117

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
Maybe if Big Rig didn’t **** up on that brain dead turnover or Maatta didn’t make a couple bad reads that lead to goals, maybe if Dumo made the right read last night on the winning goal, maybe if Sheary didn’t think the playoffs was a two month long version of Halloween, maybe if Sully realized Simon wasn’t a top line player (hurts to type that), maybe if Rust showed up, maybe if Murray played a little better...

Maybe there is a lot of blame to go around, but I’m not into that...

Maybe the "superstar" defense man who pockets 7.25 million bucks a year needs to be addressed first and foremost. Nobody is saying Sheary or Maatta are indispensable on this team. If a company fails, do you blame the most important employees first? Or do you put blame on the mail room?

NV Pens Fan

Apr 22, 2018
That open letter was disgusting. Not that it would have taken an Einstein to figure this out, but wow ... have they been bitter.

They sure are bitter. Funny part is the picked the wrong year to finally get past the Pens as they aren't going any further, and if they happen to it would be glorious to see Fleury stone them in the finals and they will become a part of history becoming the team to lose to a first year expansion team in the Finals :)

Reactions: William I NEGLE

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Maybe if Big Rig didn’t **** up on that brain dead turnover or Maatta didn’t make a couple bad reads that lead to goals, maybe if Dumo made the right read last night on the winning goal, maybe if Sheary didn’t think the playoffs was a two month long version of Halloween, maybe if Sully realized Simon wasn’t a top line player (hurts to type that), maybe if Rust showed up...
Nobody's saying he was the sole reason we lost. The issue is the cornerstone defenseman that our blueline is built around is so volatile and prone to mind-boggling mistakes that are glaringly obvious and easy to identify as directly resulting in losses. Not sure how anyone can defend Letang's play in game 5. He wasn't the only problem, but he was a glaring, "gigantic neon sign pointing in his direction" problem.

There's a lot of blame to go around, anyone who disputes that is just incorrect. Murray's gotta be better, and I think he knows that more than anyone else on Earth. Rust's gotta be better, he's too good and too important a depth guy to simply disappear when the team needs him the most. Sheary's a lost cause, just a total imposter of a player whenever the playoffs come around for three years now. Simon, for as much as I think he could still be a useful and effective 4th liner, isn't a scoring line guy. Injuries killed the game of two of our most important supporting players in Kessel and Brassard. We didn't finish a multitude of glorious, "here's a freebie" chances that would've put the games and series away.

Trust me, there's a lot of reasons we lost, but Letang's gaffes in games 3 and 5 (especially the latter) were just absolutely backbreaking and very much cost us the series as much or more so than any other factor.

Reactions: hockey07278771

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
1) He never said he was in his presser. We all know Letang will take no blame and would say so if he was. He even went as far as to say "no mistakes" were made giving up a breakaway in OT. 2) You want the LD to change first because the RD can get off at anytime in the offensive zone. 3) The puck was nowhere deep enough to go for a change so even if he did, horrible mistake by him. 4) If he was going for a change somebody would have hopped on. He was 2 strides from the bench. 5) If the puck is on the left side, I want my RD as support and vice versa. It's really simple.

pens-jpg.120117

Uh, it was a long change, and it’s OT, you make changes as quickly as you can and when the opportunity arises. He assumed a gifted player could take a 2t2 pass and his almost always reliable partner wasn’t going rogue.

And no, he wasn’t close enough for the change, it’s quite easy to see.

That should have been a routine play for Crosby and Dumo, sadly they both made mistakes together at the worst time. Blaming Letang on that play means you have an axe to grind with him or you have no clue what you were watching.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Sullivan takes top blame in my book. Great coach. Hard to say anything bad about him actually. But I feel he made some crucial errors this year.

He refused to adjust to what the Caps were doing. How many 2 on 1's against does he have to see before he tells the D not to pinch?

He refused to give Sprong a serious look all year. Now, unlike most around here, I don't think Sprong's the 2nd coming of Eric Tangradi. But the kid could have helped.

He didn't force Phil to sit at the end of the year, for fear of breaking up Phil's precious streak. Then worse, he wouldn't take him off the PP when it was obvious he couldn't even handle the puck.

He also didn't play the team JR assembled for him (Reaves, Cole). Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but when JR talked about the Reaves trade, and how he wouldn't be played anyway, it seemed he was a little peeved about it?

Like I said, great coach. Hard to find fault with anything he does. But these things went a long way to us losing IMO.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Still don't know why we had the leading scorer in the playoffs sitting on the bench during the top PP unit.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
An open letter to the Pittsburgh Penguins and their fans

This really was their cup wasnt it?

A letter rubbing our nose in it, disguised as a congrats on a great run letter.

They truly are trying to convince themselves that they ripped our hearts out of our chest stopping the 3 peat, and that we are just hiding the unbearable pain deep down.

I guess they need to get this out. All these years of losing. The gotta strut around like a peacock as much as they can. Before Tampa Bay rips them back to reality.

damn, these Caps and their fans are so pathetic even when they win.

this doesn't sting, this comes after back to back Cups.

what stings for the Caps and their crappy fans and their crappy full of shit owner is that the two best versions of their shitty franchise ever, last year and 2016, got sent home by an inferior, on paper, Penguins team. and that this version of the Caps won't win shit in the process of finally eliminating an injured and tired Pens team.

Reactions: USMC607

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad