GDT: Post-Game: Wild @ Blues 1/27/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Let's see what happens when Yeo stacks the second line instead of spreading it out. I'd like to see Bouchard-Granlund-Clutterbuck before we fire Fletcher, Yeo, and trade off everyone making over $2M.

I'ld still rather have Seto on that line. He hasn't put in a goal yet, but he does appear to be trying.

With the removal of Cullen... It really should only get better.

Clutter couldn't hit the broadside of a barn if he was standing two feet away.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I'ld still rather have Seto on that line. He hasn't put in a goal yet, but he does appear to be trying.

With the removal of Cullen... It really should only get better.

Clutter couldn't hit the broadside of a barn if he was standing two feet away.

That is what I'm talking about. Clutterbuck takes such low potential shots, just to get shots. Seto is playing great forechecking right now. Cullen is really the weak link in that line.

Averman

Ya, Yeo Betcha
Aug 18, 2011
The main problem with the 2nd line to me seems to be a lack of a netfront presence. I don't know much about hockey, but it seems to me that pairing Granlund with someone who can create/finish some action around the net would go a long way towards bringing out the best in him. Hopefully Larsson and/or Coyle can provide an in house solution there sooner rather than later.

As far as Suter goes I think he's helped a lot when it comes to transitioning from defense to offense (the time he received a pass from Brodin in front of the net and then basically Supermanned the puck to create the possession that resulted in Heatley's goal comes to mind), but I really wish he'd be more proactive in front of his own net. I don't expect him to be a wrecking ball or anything, just to put more effort into not allowing the goalie to be screened and do a better job cutting off passing angles. He just seemed to be standing there doing nothing a bit too often. I don't blame him for the last goal though, Backstrom left that net wide open.

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
I haven't watched the last couple of games. Hope the next few aren't as bad as this thread/gdt makes it out to be.

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
I thought the same thing. Cullen, at his peak, was a 2nd line center, on a bad team.

Interesting observation. So Carolina was a bad team when they won the Stanley Cup? Cullen played as a 2nd Line Winger and 3rd Line Center on that team, in addition to QB'ing the PP as the 1st Unit PP point man. Go look at the stats for Carolina that year, they don't lie.

Belanger was a locker room cancer his last year here. Cullen is very good on special teams, both on the PK and PP. Belanger?

Anyone who expected Cullen to carry a 2nd Line, to be a goal scoring stud, was going to be disappointed.

The over the top Cullen hate on here is kind of weird, like a bunch of chickens ganging up and pecking on one with a spot on it; beyond reason.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
That was seven years ago!

Seven years ago, Modano, Sakic, Shanahan, Naslund, and Nylander were all awesome.

Seven years ago, McCabe, Zubov, Ohlund, Rafalski, and Niedermayer were all awesome.

Hell, Yzerman and Leetch were still around!

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae

Seven years ago, Modano, Sakic, Shanahan, Naslund, and Nylander were all awesome.

Seven years ago, McCabe, Zubov, Ohlund, Rafalski, and Niedermayer were all awesome.

Hell, Yzerman and Leetch were still around!

Yep.

And Selänne was considered "past his prime" and "washed-up" seven years ago. Well...

...I hope Cullen can prove us wrong.

Eagle Claw

Jan 25, 2013
Finland
Were there is miserable performances there is hate

Cullen looks like a car thats been in an cold garage for over an decade, one sunny day the owner washes the exterior of the car in the back yard and expects it to work 110% with out any maintenance work

This "maintainance" period in cullens case is WILDS SEASON that's going down the drain while YEO the "car owner" gives this old piece off antique one chance after an other to ignite itself to its former glory. After all it MIGHT start to fire on every cylinder if you wear down the soot enough!!

Every line except the 1 need to get wake up call i would trade some one to rattle the cages abit, especially brodziak feels like a part time worker compared to expectations He's just like Cullen far from firing on all cylinders

So there you have it the second line center is adjusting to nhl speed and 3 line center is still "sleeping" no wonder the goals scoring is really dry in these lines

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND

Look at the specific statement that I was replying to. Or are you going to quibble about "when he was at his peak" to mean something else. As in, the Stanley Cup winning year wasn't his peak, the year he scored the most goals wasn't his "peak", the year he tied for most points wasn't his "peak"...

Cullen is not a good goal scorer, never has been, even back in the day when he filled in for Steve Rucchin and played for a short time on a line with Selanne and Kariya. Like last year, when his linemates were 4th Liners and NHL guys, he's not good enough to carry an NHL #2 Line. He's an excellent NHL 3rd Line Center and special team guy and a support guy on a scoring line.

IMO people who claim he isn't out there busting his butt are blinded by their hate. Not good at getting the puck in the net (unless you're taking about the shoot out or short handed, where he excells)? No argument there. Guillty as charged, if he was a good goal scorer he'd have several goals this year, he's had several great chances and couldn't convert. Not a good fininsher. True. But that he's dogging it, not a hard worker? Blinded by hate...

I also think its hilarious how certain players, because they're "popular" players avoid criticism on this board. Specifically, Seto and Granlund. There's one poster on here who can't mention or discuss Cullen without ranting about him always falling down. Granlund has spent half this season on his butt or knees, is that an every post mention?

This season - who's had more chances, who's been in the action more, who's handled the puck more - Seto or Cullen? Listen to the radio guys and you'll hear Cullen's name way more than Seto's because Cullen is much more in the action. The 2nd Line sucks because of Cullen. What about Seto? Any credit there? Or the hyped rookie Center? How come the Calder kid and stud scorer Seto aren't lighting it up? Because of Cullen? But Seto is a stud and Cullen's a dud.

Is Cullen some superstar stud? A 30 goal scorer? No. Is he the worst player to ever lace on skates? Reading this board, you'd think so.

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
Let's look at Cullen's career arc (goals - points)
25 - 49 (won Stanley Cup)
16 - 41
13 - 49
22 - 43
16 - 48
12 - 39
14 - 35

Look at these last seven years. If I did the math right, he averages about 17 G, 43 pts a year. To me that's about what to expect; so-so 2nd Liner, excellent 3rd Liner.

Last game PMB was with Granlund and Seto. How'd they do on the score sheet? PMB is a much better offensive player than Cullen. Even though they are both tiny, it makes sense to me to play PMB and Granlund together if you're looking for points. Yeo tends to keep lines together so we should have a good chance to see how these three do together. But when you look at how many goals they score, don't forget to look at goals against, too.

THEALLKNOWING*

Let's look at Cullen's career arc (goals - points)

6 - 27
11 - 25
13 - 39
10 - 40
18 - 48
13 - 33
6 - 19
25 - 49 (won Stanley Cup)
16 - 41
13 - 49
22 - 43
16 - 48
12 - 39
14 - 35

Look at Cullen's distribution of scoring with the Wild. Condensed or streaky, concentrated in first part/half of season, then absent. Same with Cal C the past 3 seasons. I guess you could say if its a hockey season thing, there is still hope. If its a calendar year thing, forget it.

Teddy10Beers

Dec 31, 2011
Minnesota
Look at the specific statement that I was replying to. Or are you going to quibble about "when he was at his peak" to mean something else. As in, the Stanley Cup winning year wasn't his peak, the year he scored the most goals wasn't his "peak", the year he tied for most points wasn't his "peak"...

Cullen is not a good goal scorer, never has been, even back in the day when he filled in for Steve Rucchin and played for a short time on a line with Selanne and Kariya. Like last year, when his linemates were 4th Liners and NHL guys, he's not good enough to carry an NHL #2 Line. He's an excellent NHL 3rd Line Center and special team guy and a support guy on a scoring line.

IMO people who claim he isn't out there busting his butt are blinded by their hate. Not good at getting the puck in the net (unless you're taking about the shoot out or short handed, where he excells)? No argument there. Guillty as charged, if he was a good goal scorer he'd have several goals this year, he's had several great chances and couldn't convert. Not a good fininsher. True. But that he's dogging it, not a hard worker? Blinded by hate...

I also think its hilarious how certain players, because they're "popular" players avoid criticism on this board. Specifically, Seto and Granlund. There's one poster on here who can't mention or discuss Cullen without ranting about him always falling down. Granlund has spent half this season on his butt or knees, is that an every post mention?

This season - who's had more chances, who's been in the action more, who's handled the puck more - Seto or Cullen? Listen to the radio guys and you'll hear Cullen's name way more than Seto's because Cullen is much more in the action. The 2nd Line sucks because of Cullen. What about Seto? Any credit there? Or the hyped rookie Center? How come the Calder kid and stud scorer Seto aren't lighting it up? Because of Cullen? But Seto is a stud and Cullen's a dud.

Is Cullen some superstar stud? A 30 goal scorer? No. Is he the worst player to ever lace on skates? Reading this board, you'd think so.

Nice post!

I'm also in the camp that thinks the criticism of Cullen is overdone; bordering on scapegoating.

As for Granlund there is a huge gap between his hype and his performance to date, yet the criticism he receives is somewhere between tepid and nonexistent. Classic case of cognitive dissonance. I think some fans are in disbelief of Granlund's lack of production and inability to handle the physical play and are naturally looking for a reason (or excuse?) to explain it away. Ergo, it's not Granlund its his linemate Cullen who is now worse than Colton Gilles, or some variation of that.

Have to add the standard caveat of 'it's only five games.'

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota

I've never once considered Setoguchi a popular player on this board.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal

I dunno what boards you've been reading but Seto is pretty obviously second in line for the gallows here. Unless Backs cuts him in line. :laugh: There's a pretty big contingent that wants to see Setoguchi traded, or barring that, demoted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad