Post Draft - Updated Florida Panthers Top 20 Prospects

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
1. Jake Guentzel (3)
Last time he'll appear on this list as once the season starts, he'll likely be in my top 6. Had a breakout rookie season and playoffs in the NHL and looks like a legitimate future scoring line star (especially if he sticks with Crosby).

2. Troy Stecher (1)
Got extremely lucky winning his lottery last year, as he's now become one of the big pieces of my future blueline after an excellent rookie season in the NHL. Likely to be a third pairing defender for the HFNHL Panthers this coming season. His last appearance on this list too.

3. Mark Jankowski (4)
Was one of the AHL's best rookies and is finally paying off after years of patience. Looks like he'll develop into a quality 2nd or 3rd line center, which is what I had hoped when I originally drafted him in the first round in 2012.

4. Adam Fox (8)
Maybe a slightly aggressive ranking for Fox, considering he's leapfrogged several NHL first rounders. But I believe in his abilities as an offensive defender. Had a truly remarkable freshman year as Harvard.

5. Trent Frederic (6)
Another guy who had a tremendous freshman year in the NCAA with Wisconsin. The surprise first rounder of NHL's Boston Bruins, Frederic appears to have established himself as a fantastic prospect. Excited to see how he improves again this year.

6. Kristian Vesalainen (New)
The Panthers' first rounder this year, I've got a lot of confidence in this pick. He'll be back in his native Finland this year, where hopefully he can find his offensive game playing against men and then make the jump to NA in 2018/2019.

7. Michael Dipietro (New)

Don't care if he was an NHL 3rd rounder, I chose him in the HFNHL first round for a reason. This guy is a winner and has the athleticism that could make him the next Jonathan Quick for the Panthers. That is...when Matt Murray is no longer manning the crease in Florida.

8. Travis Dermott (7)
Dermott had a terrific first pro season in the AHL and has, perhaps, established himself as the NHL's Leafs' top prospect. With a solid training camp and some injuries, he could see significant NHL time this year.

9. Kiefer Bellows (New)

One of the big pieces in the return for Jonathan Quick, Bellows didn't have a great freshman year at Boston U. As such, he's heading to Portland of the WHL next year. With a big season, he could climb up this list quite quickly.

10. Dennis Cholowski (5)
Certainly didn't have a terrible freshman year in the NCAA, so it was a surprise to see him sign an NHL deal and give up his eligibility already. Question is, does he play next year in the AHL or in the WHL with Prince George? I hope he's in the DUB, where he could establish himself as a frontline blueline prospect.

11. Paul LaDue (18)
A quick riser in the Panthers system after a fantastic first pro season which he split between the AHL and the NHL in LA. Just how high his ceiling is remains to be seen, but he certainly looks like an NHL defender.

12. Michael McCarron (2)
Quite the fall for big Mike on this list, but a disappointing pro season will do that for the former first rounder. He'll still be an NHL player, but it's looking more like that will be in the form of a Brian Boyle type 3rd/4th liner and not a 2nd line center.

13. Jordan Kyrou (9)

Kyrou falls a bit, but only because of some additions and terrific seasons from other players on this list. He's a legit offensive talent and should be a candidate to lead the OHL in scoring this coming season.

14. Denis Malgin (10)
Malgin had a great first pro season, where he shockingly saw a ton of time with Florida of the NHL. Easy to forget that this guy is only 19. I expect bright things in the future.

15. Ryan Donato (12)

Continues to get better in the NCAA, doubling his point totals from his freshman season at Harvard. I think he's a potential Hobey Baker candidate next year. A former HFNHL first rounder who fell in the NHL draft, but I wouldn't change a thing. Well on his way to being an NHL'er.

16. Givani Smith (13)
Hard nosed power forward who didn't have a great year in the OHL. But he's a high draft pick who will require some patience. He's also a kid who is very well liked by his NHL organization. Just needs to play with more reserve.

17. Jonah Gadjovich (New)

Big believer of this kid after a breakout season in the OHL with Owen Sound. He's a real throwback who just understands what he needs to do to be successful. If he can improve his skating a little bit, he could be a quality 2nd/3rd line scoring winger.

18. Wade Allison (14)
Had a great freshman year at Western Michigan of the NCAA and will look to build upon that next year. A future power forward, one of several on this list for the HFNHL Panthers.

19. Alex Nedeljkovic (16)

Definitely didn't have a great first pro season. But not many first year goaltenders do. Next year will be a big telling point for him, assuming he gets a larger role in the AHL and avoids the ECHL (where he did play excellent). Still a big believer in his talents and it's nice to have a couple quality goaltending prospects).

20. Matt Grzelcyk (15)
Like Jankowski, he's been on my prospect list forever. But he's inching closer to graduation with a great first pro season that even saw him earn a cup of coffee with the Bruins. Undersized, but he's finally healthy and close to reaching his potential as a rugged two-way puck mover.

Honorable Mentions

Nick Paul
Jake Evans
Mackenzie Weegar
Grant Mismash
Dennis Gilbert
Dmitri Samorukov
Kasper Bjorkqvist
Matt Filipe
Nate Schnarr
Samuel Blais
Sergei Zborovsky
Ben Miragaes

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The fact you have Mismash (and Paul) on your HM shows the depth. Paul had a poor start last year, but remains a sure fire bottom 6 guy with some upside, while I think Mismash has the most upside of the USNTP kids this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad