Line Combos: Post deadline Line Combinations?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Deadline is over for better or for worse, so what does everyone want to see moving forward?

Line combos the Oilers ran today:

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
McLeod-Draisaitl-Foegele
Kane-Henrique-Perry
Janmark-Carrick-Brown

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Desharnais
Kulak-Ceci

The bottom 6 looks too slow imo and I don't think there is anyone to actually carry and distribute the puck on that 3rd line. It feels aimless. And the RNH-McDavid-Hyman line hasn't properly worked since Christmas.

Changes I'd like to see:

Henrique-McDavid-Hyman - let Henrique play the role of support player on this line. We paid a 1st for him, might as well give him an opportunity there.
McLeod-Draisaitl-Foegele - Scored a goal tonight. I'm not truly a fan, but hey they've gotten results when they've played together.
Holloway-RNH-Kane - I think we need the pace that Holloway plays with. Gives RNH the reigns to be the guy who can carry and transport the puck. Gives Kane some faster players to play with.
Janmark-Carrick-Perry - An agitating 4th line to play against and hypothetically provides a bit of of offense.
Ryan

Waive Connor Brown - the only thing he brought to the lineup was being able to PK. We added another PKer in Henrique. Ship him out he does nothing now.

Ekholm-Bouchard - nothing to change. Bouchard has his warts but its consistently been the best pairing we've had all season.
Nurse-Stecher - I guess we gotta try Stecher here? Nurse and Ceci doesn't work. Nurse and Desharnais doesn't seem to work... Might as well see what Stecher can do.
Kulak-Desharnias - Ceci wasn't working with Kulak. Reunite this bottom pair that was getting good results.
Ceci

Reactions: InTheBox

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Deadline is over for better or for worse, so what does everyone want to see moving forward?

Line combos the Oilers ran today:

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
McLeod-Draisaitl-Foegele
Kane-Henrique-Perry
Janmark-Carrick-Brown

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Desharnais
Kulak-Ceci

The bottom 6 looks too slow imo and I don't think there is anyone to actually carry and distribute the puck on that 3rd line. It feels aimless. And the RNH-McDavid-Hyman line hasn't properly worked since Christmas.

Changes I'd like to see:

Henrique-McDavid-Hyman - let Henrique play the role of support player on this line. We paid a 1st for him, might as well give him an opportunity there.
McLeod-Draisaitl-Foegele - Scored a goal tonight. I'm not truly a fan, but hey they've gotten results when they've played together.
Holloway-RNH-Kane - I think we need the pace that Holloway plays with. Gives RNH the reigns to be the guy who can carry and transport the puck. Gives Kane some faster players to play with.
Janmark-Carrick-Perry - An agitating 4th line to play against and hypothetically provides a bit of of offense.
Ryan

Waive Connor Brown - the only thing he brought to the lineup was being able to PK. We added another PKer in Henrique. Ship him out he does nothing now.

Ekholm-Bouchard - nothing to change. Bouchard has his warts but its consistently been the best pairing we've had all season.
Nurse-Stecher - I guess we gotta try Stecher here? Nurse and Ceci doesn't work. Nurse and Desharnais doesn't seem to work... Might as well see what Stecher can do.
Kulak-Desharnias - Ceci wasn't working with Kulak. Reunite this bottom pair that was getting good results.
Ceci
I could get behind these changes.
I would really like to see Stecher in place of Ceci although in the interview with Gene Principe Stecher looked like a skinny little school boy standing next to Gene.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I could get behind these changes.
I would really like to see Stecher in place of Ceci although in the interview with Gene Principe Stecher looked like a skinny little school boy standing next to Gene.
Yeah, I’m personally not sold on Stecher. But if you gave up a 4th for him might as well see how he plays. Hell, even if you don’t intent to play him in the playoffs without injuries, it would probably do to get him some games with the team so he can get familiar with the systems and guys in game situations just in case.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah, I’m personally not sold on Stecher. But if you gave up a 4th for him might as well see how he plays. Hell, even if you don’t intent to play him in the playoffs without injuries, it would probably do to get him some games with the team so he can get familiar with the systems and guys in game situations just in case.
I agree.
I was just surpised at how small he really was. There must be elements in his game that make up for his size though or he couldnt possibly be an NHL dman.
Looking forward to seeing him play.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
The Carrick experiment won't last long IMO. He's right handed and good at faceoffs, but terrible at everything else- even for a player on Anaheim. All of Holloway, Brown, Janmark, Gagner, Hamblin, and Erne are better than him on the 4th line. His lack of speed will really be exposed. Perry, Kane, Henrique, Gagner, all are slow but provide value in other areas.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The power play lines need to be switched around for sure. Everyone knows option A is the Drai one timer. Option B is a Bouch bomb.

Pp1: McDavid QB
Hyman and Nuge, Bouchard & a 4th winger like Perry (double net presence with him and Hyman).

Pp2: Need two d-men on as Pp2 will likely be on when for the latter half of it.
QB: Ekholm and/or Drai,
Nurse, McLeod, Henrique (net front presence) or Kane in place of Henrique.

Gotta score greasy power play goals. None of this finesse bullshit. Teams have the current power play figured out.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The power play lines need to be switched around for sure. Everyone knows option A is the Drai one timer. Option B is a Bouch bomb.

Pp1: McDavid QB
Hyman and Nuge, Bouchard & a 4th winger like Perry (double net presence with him and Hyman).

Pp2: Need two d-men on as Pp2 will likely be on when for the latter half of it.
QB: Ekholm and/or Drai,
Nurse, McLeod, Henrique (net front presence) or Kane in place of Henrique.

Gotta score greasy power play goals. None of this finesse bullshit. Teams have the current power play figured out.
You don’t take the guy who is tied for 2nd in the league in PP goals off the 5th best PP I don’t think.

There’s something to be said for changing things up. But I think you start with moving guys around before replacing Drai on the top unit.

I think you could try Draisaitl in the bumper spot and have McDavid QB it on his off wing.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
For me I just don't see Holloway as being ready yet, but on the flip side he's too good for the AHL. His play away from the puck is better this season, not that it was horrible just needed some tuning. His forecheck and energy is always there, just his offensive game seams some what lost in transition currently. Some will blame TOI and linemates, but the resident whipping boy for some here in Mcleod did better offensively in his rookie year in the bottom six.

A lot of posters on here scream the team is in win now mode, which it is and shouldn't be a surprise. But I just don't see Holloway as part of the answer currently with the additions of Perry, Henrique, and Carrick. And still needing a place for 2 of the 3 in Ryan, Janmark, and Brown in the bottom six for the PK.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
For me I just don't see Holloway as being ready yet, but on the flip side he's too good for the AHL. His play away from the puck is better this season, not that it was horrible just needed some tuning. His forecheck and energy is always there, just his offensive game seams some what lost in transition currently. Some will blame TOI and linemates, but the resident whipping boy for some here in Mcleod did better offensively in his rookie year in the bottom six.

A lot of posters on here scream the team is in win now mode, which it is and shouldn't be a surprise. But I just don't see Holloway as part of the answer currently with the additions of Perry, Henrique, and Carrick. And still needing a place for 2 of the 3 in Ryan, Janmark, and Brown in the bottom six for the PK.
I don’t disagree Holloway isn’t there offensively. But we’ve got no goal Brown in the lineup. Holloway certainly is bringing more offense than that.

And I don’t think I agree we need two of Janmark, Brown and Ryan in the lineup for the PK

RNH-Janmark
Foegele-Mcleod
Henrique-Carrick

That’s three sets of guys you can run out on the PK. Not to mention that McDavid and Draisaitl can PK too but just don’t because we want to keep them fresh.

How many PKing forwards does a team need?

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
I don’t disagree Holloway isn’t there offensively. But we’ve got no goal Brown in the lineup. Holloway certainly is bringing more offense than that.

And I don’t think I agree we need two of Janmark, Brown and Ryan in the lineup for the PK

RNH-Janmark
Foegele-Mcleod
Henrique-Carrick

That’s three sets of guys you can run out on the PK. Not to mention that McDavid and Draisaitl can PK too but just don’t because we want to keep them fresh.

For me I prefer to rely on bottom sixers to PK, as the top six gets more ES and PP minutes to like you mentioned for McDavid and Draisaitl too limit their minutes and not shot block. I'd like to see RNH's PK minutes cut back a bit, but I don't think thats an easy ask.

I knew Henrique Pk'd, to be honest I don't know much about Carrick but see he's was the top PK minute forward on the Ducks. My miss, but the Ducks are not surprisingly being a rebuilding team are 28th on the PK so its hard to judge effectiveness. But to be fair the Oilers are 15th, Vegas 14th, and the Canucks at 17th, with some non playoff teams ahead of them.

As for Brown V. Holloway thats a decent point, but I just don't it as being a difference maker IMO.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

RNH-Janmark
Foegele-Mcleod
Henrique-Carrick

I agree, but Holland runs a country club and everyone is buddy buddy.

I don't see Holloway playing (even tho we need his speed BADLY)

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I don’t mind the OP’s lines. I do like the fact that there are some speed on each line. I think Henrique might be a better fit as a 3C than Nuge but time will tell.

I think KK needs to have the lines established before playoff begin.

Last year when we entered the playoffs, I didn’t know what the lines were. And it feels like we are going down that route again.

I’d leave:

Rnh-Mcd-Hym
McLeod -Drai-Foegele

I guess I would see if:

Kane - Henrique - Perry

Works. Doesn’t look like it will but it was only one game and everyone looked bad. The team isn’t going to look good without effort. I’d give it a few games but I think they need more speed on the line.

Whether Holloway is ready or not, I think we need his speed and size in the lineup. And honestly I wish we gave Lavoie a real shot.

I’d like to see:

Holloway - Carrick - Janmark

Or

Holloway - Carrick - Lavoie

It’s not going to happen though. I like Ryan but he just looks old to me. I like Gagner better but I don’t love the lack of speed /size either. I really liked Janmark last year but I haven’t been as impressed this year. I still like his speed/skating and defense more than Ryan/Gagner. Browns not even worth mentioning at this point unfortunately.

And hopefully Stetcher gets some reps. I think his skillset will fit in well on the right side.

Last edited:

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I’d still like to see:

Kane - McD - Hyman
McLeod - Drai - Foegele
Nuge - Henrique - Perry
Janmark - Carrick - Ryan

Swap Nuge/McLeod and Janmark/Brown as needed.

Reactions: VainGretzky

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I’d still like to see:

Kane - McD - Hyman
McLeod - Drai - Foegele
Nuge - Henrique - Perry
Janmark - Carrick - Ryan

Swap Nuge/McLeod and Janmark/Brown as needed.
1. Kane and Hyman together is gross
2. Nuge and Henrique I bet is sneaky good
3. To be fair to the guy, Bown actually played half decent on line 3. I bet he gets a chance there again

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
3. To be fair to the guy, Bown actually played half decent on line 3. I bet he gets a chance there again

Focusing on this, Brown seemed to get his feet moving a lot more vs. puck watching and trying (and failing) to stay in good defensive position. Less "think" and more "do", which seemed to benefit him.

Imo a main reason why Brown looked absolutely lost riding shotgun to McDavid or Drai was becasue the dude looked like he was trying to solve advanced quantum theory before deciding where to skate. The complete opposite of above.

Henrique also looked more comforable having some speed and agility on his wing to cover for his slow(er) boots. It'd be hilarious if those two could develop some chemistry, but I wouldn't hold my breath just yet.

Reactions: guymez

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Id try

Henrique McDavid perry/hyman
McLeod Leon foegele
Kane rnh hyman/perry

Each of those lines should be able to match other teams top two lines and no matter what you should have the advantage against the third line.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Focusing on this, Brown seemed to get his feet moving a lot more vs. puck watching and trying (and failing) to stay in good defensive position. Less "think" and more "do", which seemed to benefit him.

Imo a main reason why Brown looked absolutely lost riding shotgun to McDavid or Drai was becasue the dude looked like he was trying to solve advanced quantum theory before deciding where to skate. The complete opposite of above.

Henrique also looked more comforable having some speed and agility on his wing to cover for his slow(er) boots. It'd be hilarious if those two could develop some chemistry, but I wouldn't hold my breath just yet.
Trust me I'm not holding my breath

Id try

Henrique McDavid perry/hyman
McLeod Leon foegele
Kane rnh hyman/perry

Each of those lines should be able to match other teams top two lines and no matter what you should have the advantage against the third line.
You know it's no bad, but Perry can't play line 1. Doesn't hav the cardio

You essentially switched Nuge and Henrique. Doubt it happens, but it's worth trying sometime if the 3rd line can't get going.

We played a good game tho, now isn't a time to play "line blender" because we are bored

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Trust me I'm not holding my breath

Ehh I'd ride with the idea for a few games and see if it acutally works.

The one thing I would like to see is Foegele out of the top 6, even if I don't mind him and McLeod with Drai. Personally I'd love to see Lavoie get a proper shot there, but we know that isn't happening any time soon. That leaves Kane as the best/only option, even if I'd perfer him driving the play on the 3rd line.

I remember Janmark-RNH-Brown looking decent a few weeks back. It was a waste of RNH, but are you fine with Henrique in that sport? You could toss Foegele there, but for a defensive line I feel Janmark's a more natural fit at LW.

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
McLeod-Drai-Kane
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Foegele-Holloway-Perry

Considering you'd still have 6 other good PKers in the lineup (RNH-Hyman, McLeod-Janmark, Henrique-Brown), you could also easily run Holloway as the 4th line centre without hurting the PK.

Last edited:

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I don't like the idea of having a top-heavy lineup going into the playoffs. Whether McDavid is with Leon or RNH and Hyman, it takes away from our depth. As we learned from the series with Vegas, you need at least two, if not three, lines rolling.

I'd rearrange the top six a bit:
Hyman-McDavid-McLeod
RNH-Draisaitl-Foegele

Or you can even push RNH and/or Hyman down to create a strong third line.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I like Foegele Drai McLeod. Good speed on wings. Lets hope we can get 1st line going and Henrique stabilize 3rd. . Would like to get a few games with Stecher in lineup to see what we have there. From all accounts he is 5'10" but plays 6'2"

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I don't like the idea of having a top-heavy lineup going into the playoffs. Whether McDavid is with Leon or RNH and Hyman, it takes away from our depth. As we learned from the series with Vegas, you need at least two, if not three, lines rolling.

I'd rearrange the top six a bit:
Hyman-McDavid-McLeod
RNH-Draisaitl-Foegele

Or you can even push RNH and/or Hyman down to create a strong third line.
Doesn't make sense to break up Hyman and McD. Seems to make both better. It's not easy being on McWing and Hyman seems to know how to be good at it.

Nuge and Henrique are pretty much a toss up as #3C. Ideally they both become a duo and shore up the 3rd line. Holloway need to be called back up.

This is what I want.. looks weird but here is goes 4th line to 1st

Kane-Carrick-Perry (beast line)
Nuge-Henrique-Brown/Ryan/Gagner
Feogele-Drai-McLeod
Holloway-McD-Hyman

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I’d love to see them be able to put a matchup 3rd line together that can shut down a top 6 line.

McLeod - RNH - Brown

Probably not going to generate much offensively but that’s not what their job would be. They’d be a line you can toss out against the top 6 and be comfortable they aren’t going to give anything up.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I like Foegele Drai McLeod. Good speed on wings. Lets hope we can get 1st line going and Henrique stabilize 3rd. . Would like to get a few games with Stecher in lineup to see what we have there. From all accounts he is 5'10" but plays 6'2"
I like Foeg/McL with Drai, too. They seem to only produce when Drai makes room for them.

I think yesterday's lines were basically perfect
RNH-McD-Hyman
Foeg-Drai-McLeod
Kane-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-Carrick/Ryan-Perry

I like sneaking Perry on the 4th line, he can quietly produce pts with limited minutes and higher energy

Controversial opinion: The Oilers should start the hotter goalie (in their last ~5 games) for the playoffs. Last year, the Soup was hot in April but Woody spilled it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad