OT: Possible LIRR Strike **Tentative Deal Reached**

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I am not as educated as I should be on this topic. But to me common sense does not add up to the taxpayers not contributing money

Maybe my math and logic is wrong so Ill put my thoughts below. The numbers are off but I don't think they are wildly off

A guy punching tickets on LIRR starts at 20 years old and works 30 years retiring at 50. He contributes lets say 10% yearly (High amount!?) of his 50k salary towards a pension fund. He dies when he is 80. He made 1.5 million over his career and contributed 150,000 towards his pension. Say he gets 40k a year as his pension that is 1.2 million. So either they invest better than everyone else on the planet or money is coming from the outside ... the tax payers, train riders

That taxpaying train rider can probably save an extra 15k in their life to contribute to their own retirement, if they did not have to support others

Well they do invest the money and that accounts for some, also as with social security, the current employees contributions help pay for the pensions of the retirees AND the company does contribute to the pensions in much the same way that corporations match 401K contributions.

I can only speak to pensions i'm familiar with but there has been a drastic draw down in pension benefits lately. The comparison between Tier 1 and Tier 6 is vastly different. Current employees under Tier 6 pay far more and pay in perpetuity to help make sure the system stays solvent. So, in reality, its the current employees who are being hurt the most by the very generous pensions of the past.

And the "guy who punches your ticket" actually is responsible for the safe operation of the train as well, hes the conductor or assistant conductor. despite popular myths, trains dont run themselves and LIRR has a very good safety record because of their well qualified staff of train operators.

Again, i just want to emphasize that while there are problems with the system, those problems have been magnified and amplified to a hysterical degree for the benefit of corporations who are routinely passing bills in the night to swindle us from billions of dollars while we ***** about some guy making 10K more than you'd like.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Well they do invest the money and that accounts for some, also as with social security, the current employees contributions help pay for the pensions of the retirees AND the company does contribute to the pensions in much the same way that corporations match 401K contributions.

I can only speak to pensions i'm familiar with but there has been a drastic draw down in pension benefits lately. The comparison between Tier 1 and Tier 6 is vastly different. Current employees under Tier 6 pay far more and pay in perpetuity to help make sure the system stays solvent. So, in reality, its the current employees who are being hurt the most by the very generous pensions of the past.

And the "guy who punches your ticket" actually is responsible for the safe operation of the train as well, hes the conductor or assistant conductor. despite popular myths, trains dont run themselves and LIRR has a very good safety record because of their well qualified staff of train operators.

Again, i just want to emphasize that while there are problems with the system, those problems have been magnified and amplified to a hysterical degree for the benefit of corporations who are routinely passing bills in the night to swindle us from billions of dollars while we ***** about some guy making 10K more than you'd like.

The problem with pensions and social security is that they need to continually have more employees and/or always have a substantial increase in revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad