Portland to ECHL for the 2018-19 season

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The talent difference between the AHL and ECHL (comparing 1st lines to 1st lines and 4th lines to 4th lines) is almost as big as that between the NHL and AHL.

There are as many AHLers in the NHL at any given time as there are ECHLers who have made it to the NHL all-time.

Yes, ECHL stars can be good 3rd/4th liners in the AHL, but the same is true of AHL stars and the back half of NHL rosters.

Small details yes but the overall gameplay is not all that different anymore. The biggest difference is where the players are on the totem poll of the pecking order. But why are they where they are? Most of them are coming from similar backgrounds. Stats are what we look at most in the sports industry to judge. Teams have 4 lines and obviously split them up. They won't likely get equal playing time at all. Naturally the guy playing more will score more but what decides who should be on what line? Speed? Hand eye coordination? When guys get called up from the E to the A they aren't playing the minutes they are in the E so naturally they will be nowhere near as effective. If they were playing where they were in the E could they do as good? We will never know generally. Most guys being called up are to fill a missing body. You see this often with callups to the NHL as well in season. Now they'll probably make it one day full time but when they are thruster into duty they'll be protected towards the bottom 6 so they theoretically don't cost you the game or have that big an impact on it.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Are you arguing that it's wrong to take hockey seriously and be interested in it beyond a source of mindless entertainment?

Nothing is necessarily wrong with it but if we aren't playing why take it seriously? Its a one way relationship and especially at the minor league level people don't get what they pay for. I don't think any fan really wants to pay for tickets to watch a team basically work for another team and not necessarily trying to win for themselves.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I kind of want Maine Mariners, myself.

yea, maybe when it first broke that the Aces were bought by Spectra, WCSH ran a poll saying Mariners, Pirates or something else, whether Nautical or not....

the original nickname ran away with it, BUT we said that in 1992-93 ONCE Baltimore and the Ebrights walked or sailed from there to here, to keep the nautical term theme going....

I suggested why not keep Aces, since we really aren't going to be blocked like the NHL rules over gambling in Vegas......

remember it was the Trustee board that commented when the acquisition was made public.... Spectra itself hasn't said yet what it's true plans are, and maybe this is why.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Sounds like it'll just be a meet & greet with execs. Doesn't sound like a name or logo announcement will happen this early.

Trustee board had their Q & A, WHEN IT was revealed Spectra had acquired Alaska, and identified Briere and Holmgren as the liason between this franchise and ECHL.

IT likely means they weren't available then, but are coming now to detail further how the process went, and remember, then, the major issue was would the Flyers shift from Reading to Portland, which was denied.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
I kind of want Maine Mariners, myself.

https://trademarks.justia.com/865/03/maine-86503224.html

Trademark has a "774 - Opposition Pending" status on it. While I can't tell you what that exactly means, the guy who owns the copyright recently got into legal trouble for illegal political donations, which probably has something to do with it (his other trademarks have this status too).

Who owns the name "Portland Pirates" and the logo? I'm almost certain it's the arena, but I've never bothered to confirm that.

https://trademarks.justia.com/868/53/portland-86853941.html
http://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapid=334569425

Sounds like Springfield owns it:

"As of May 23, 2016, Portland Pirates, LLC was acquired by Springfield Hockey, LLC. Portland Pirates, LLC operates a professional ice hockey team. The company was founded in 1993 and is based in Portland, Maine."

Trustee board had their Q & A, WHEN IT was revealed Spectra had acquired Alaska, and identified Briere and Holmgren as the liason between this franchise and ECHL.

IT likely means they weren't available then, but are coming now to detail further how the process went, and remember, then, the major issue was would the Flyers shift from Reading to Portland, which was denied.

Interesting.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
https://trademarks.justia.com/865/03/maine-86503224.html

Trademark has a "774 - Opposition Pending" status on it. While I can't tell you what that exactly means, the guy who owns the copyright recently got into legal trouble for illegal political donations, which probably has something to do with it (his other trademarks have this status too).

https://trademarks.justia.com/868/53/portland-86853941.html
http://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapid=334569425

Sounds like Springfield owns it:

"As of May 23, 2016, Portland Pirates, LLC was acquired by Springfield Hockey, LLC. Portland Pirates, LLC operates a professional ice hockey team. The company was founded in 1993 and is based in Portland, Maine."

Interesting.

btw, thanks for researching the trademarks with both previous franchises, it is great to know that info, I'd have to say the same likely applies in Alaska's trademark filing with the Aces, too.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
btw, thanks for researching the trademarks with both previous franchises, it is great to know that info, I'd have to say the same likely applies in Alaska's trademark filing with the Aces, too.

https://trademarks.justia.com/search?q=ECHL

Fortunate enough the ECHL does own 95% of past and present team name's trademarks. Alaska Ace's trademarks are listed as being owned by the ECHL. I'm pretty sure they force the teams to transfer the trademarks before they can join the league.

It should be noted that the NHL and AHL don't hold the trademarks to any team and only for league-related names and logos.

Worcester Railers HC's trademarks used to be listed under Worcester Pro Hockey, LLC and now they're listed under ECHL, inc.

https://trademarks.justia.com/search?q=Worcester+Railers

Last edited:

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
https://trademarks.justia.com/search?q=ECHL

Fortunate enough the ECHL does own 95% of past and present team name's trademarks. Alaska Ace's trademarks are listed as being owned by the ECHL. I'm pretty sure they force the teams to transfer the trademarks before they can join the league.

It should be noted that the NHL and AHL don't hold the trademarks to any team and only for league-related names and logos.

Worcester Railers HC's trademarks used to be listed under Worcester Pro Hockey, LLC and now they're listed under ECHL, inc.

https://trademarks.justia.com/search?q=Worcester+Railers
I was just going to post that. I think that policy went into effect before the former WCHL teams joined the league. The league office regulates the contracts with suppliers for merchandise and jerseys also. Obviously the board of governors approves all the contracts, but once they do individual teams can't go out on their own and produce merchandise through a different supplier without league approval. Same goes for photos of players, especially when they include team logos. Official booster clubs have an exemption to function as an extension of the team, so they can use pictures of their players and their own team logo on buttons and other merchandise (with team approval). Game action pictures have to be edited to remove logos of opposition teams, unless the club purchases a league-wide license. That license also includes a requirement to pay the players union a piece of the sales. There are lots of complicated league rules about merchandise and logos.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
The Maine Mariners name and trademark is owned by Michael Liberty - he was a minor owner of the Mariners.

The Pirates name is owned by Brad Church.... When the team was sold to the Springfield group, Church was able to secure the name when he attempted to get an ECHL team last season.

The plan moving forward is to have a brand new identity because they want to start fresh in the community. The Pirates has a lot of bad mojo associated with it because of how the franchise was run over the last couple years and how it left town. Also, Brian Petrovek really did a lot to give the Pirates a bad reputation in the community so they want to just start fresh.

The Mariners name could be interesting but I doubt its likely they will use it.

Potential names:

Portland Wharf Rats
Portland Sea Bees
Portland Destroyers
Portland Norsemen
Maine Coon Cats
Portland Skeeters
Portland/Maine Shipbuilders
Portland Bay Cats
Portland Lumberjacks
Portland Anchormen
Portland Beacons

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Brian Petrovek really did a lot to give the Pirates a bad reputation in the community so they want to just start fresh.

Beyond crashing his jeep while drunk leaving the arena after a game? Hilarious fact: his vanity license plate said "ARRRRR!!!" and was referenced in news reports of his arrest.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
imho too Admirals is used too much, but none of those others are that great either

2uzuplh.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad