Portland to ECHL for the 2018-19 season

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
The Maine Mariners name and trademark is owned by Michael Liberty - he was a minor owner of the Mariners.

The Pirates name is owned by Brad Church.... When the team was sold to the Springfield group, Church was able to secure the name when he attempted to get an ECHL team last season.

The plan moving forward is to have a brand new identity because they want to start fresh in the community. The Pirates has a lot of bad mojo associated with it because of how the franchise was run over the last couple years and how it left town. Also, Brian Petrovek really did a lot to give the Pirates a bad reputation in the community so they want to just start fresh.

The Mariners name could be interesting but I doubt its likely they will use it.

Potential names:

Portland Wharf Rats
Portland Sea Bees
Portland Destroyers
Portland Norsemen
Maine Coon Cats
Portland Skeeters
Portland/Maine Shipbuilders
Portland Bay Cats
Portland Lumberjacks
Portland Anchormen
Portland Beacons

I don't like the Warf Rats name, too much a play on the old Albany River Rats. I cannot imagine rats on a Warf being pleasant lol. With the case of the Albany team it played homage to the people of the communities along the Hudson and Mohawk rivers of Albany, Troy, Schenectady, Cohoes, Watervliet, and points south of Albany towards NYC. People who lived in these towns along the local rivers were jokingly referred to as River Town Rats....

RowdyFan42

Apr 22, 2015
Albany(-ish)
I don't like the Warf Rats name, too much a play on the old Albany River Rats. I cannot imagine rats on a Warf being pleasant lol. With the case of the Albany team it played homage to the people of the communities along the Hudson and Mohawk rivers of Albany, Troy, Schenectady, Cohoes, Watervliet, and points south of Albany towards NYC. People who lived in these towns along the local rivers were jokingly referred to as River Town Rats....

And that's exactly why I *do* like it.

Here's my new dream: AHL Hartford moves to Albany for the 2018-19 season, brings back the River Rats brand, and signs the Portland Wharf Rats as their ECHL affiliate. :D

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Here's my new dream: AHL Hartford moves to Albany for the 2018-19 season, brings back the River Rats brand, and signs the Portland Wharf Rats as their ECHL affiliate. :D

uh, Greenville might have a bit to say about that, personally, why not keep Aces, it's not like Vegas had to be told that you cannot have gaming references, and if Foley's connection to the Parachute corp at West Point hasn't really gotten traction, too....

truly, will Spectra OR MSG GIVE UP TOTAL control over Hartford? NOT THAT THE TUC is a Spectra managed property.

but of the names floated:

Lumberjacks sounds more like a tip toward the Red Claws, and U-Maine because of the CBA past, not a hockey reference....

Florida looks promising to me as an affiliate because truly, they never got a full chance to fulfill or put their stamp on Portland as the other teams did... Philadelphia, obviously, by bringing hockey here, and now reintroducing it here, what exactly did New Jersey and Boston accomplish once both came in.... the only connection the Devils had was Gil Stein, who had been associated with the Flyers, when they bought the AHL Franchise, and really, I truly believe that the Flyers and Bruins were rivals even then vis a vis the market, and that really soured the fanbase here the way they operated and how it ended.

then came 5/17/91, AND THE DEAL THAT Garbage mentioned up in the B's forum a while ago, if not in this forum, and how that transpired to give Providence their franchise.

fast-forward to the Pirates era, what did we truly learn between 1993 and 2015, that had also existed but not reported on as heavily off-ice, as wildcat mentioned in an earlier post over Petrovek etc. and why the Pirates name isn't thought of a possibility notwithstanding, and then the repeat of 5/17/91, by Cain, to sell to Springfield, that brings us to present day and how do we avoid a 3rd departure of pro hockey? If we said never again in 1991, would we take a franchise for granted, and it happened again, what makes this any different than the 1st 2 times... that'll be the main question moving forward and that'll be constantly brought up to both Spectra/Holmgren/Briere, if that already hasn't been, this fanbase will not stand for failure and/or transparency/lip service.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

If the franchise does land in Albany I would love to see the River Rats hockey identity back into the fold. That would be up to MSG and former Rats owner Walter Robb whom I understand was more then willing to put the name and logo for a team in Albany. I think it was a shame the Devils organization teased the fans in Albany last season with two River Rat throwback nights while vaguely suggesting they are open to changing the name and logo of the team to the River Rats, all the while were planning to exfil from Albany. I feel that was bad P.R. on the Devils part but at the end of the day they didn't care, no local connection. Even if an Albany team was the Albany Rangers it would still be well liked. I do believe however even an ECHL team in Albany named the River Rats (maybe with former bench boss Robbie Ftorek now ECHL Admirals coach) would have more appeal then the Albany Devils did.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The Maine Mariners name and trademark is owned by Michael Liberty - he was a minor owner of the Mariners.

The Pirates name is owned by Brad Church.... When the team was sold to the Springfield group, Church was able to secure the name when he attempted to get an ECHL team last season.

The plan moving forward is to have a brand new identity because they want to start fresh in the community. The Pirates has a lot of bad mojo associated with it because of how the franchise was run over the last couple years and how it left town. Also, Brian Petrovek really did a lot to give the Pirates a bad reputation in the community so they want to just start fresh.

The Mariners name could be interesting but I doubt its likely they will use it.

Potential names:

Portland Wharf Rats
Portland Sea Bees
Portland Destroyers
Portland Norsemen
Maine Coon Cats
Portland Skeeters
Portland/Maine Shipbuilders
Portland Bay Cats
Portland Lumberjacks
Portland Anchormen
Portland Beacons

Maine Mariners logo and trademark ARE NOT owned by Michael Liberty, they are owned by Spectra/the Flyers themselves, Holmgren did not speculate if the name/logo can be reactivated, nor can or would the Pirates logo/trademark be under consideration, either....

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Maine Mariners logo and trademark ARE NOT owned by Michael Liberty, they are owned by Spectra/the Flyers themselves, Holmgren did not speculate if the name/logo can be reactivated, nor can or would the Pirates logo/trademark be under consideration, either....

Post #37 of this very thread has a link that shows who owns the Maine Mariners name and logo.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine

Oh Hutch....

2d2d5j4.jpg

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Oh Hutch....

2d2d5j4.jpg

going with Holmgren, sorry, you LOSE, WHY WOULD Holmgren state that then when the subject was brought up, and isn't Spectra and the Flyers one and the same?

so they also don't own the Philadelphia trademarks from 1997, and until recently owned/operated PPL Center, and that tenant, there, DO THEY NOT?

Last edited:

kyfry

Feb 23, 2017
going with Holmgren, sorry, you LOSE, WHY WOULD Holmgren state that then when the subject was brought up, and isn't Spectra and the Flyers one and the same?

so they also don't own the Philadelphia trademarks from 1997, and until recently owned/operated PPL Center, and that tenant, there, DO THEY NOT?

[MOD] I will say that I love the Maine Mariners name. I think its good that they have a name the team contest if they do go with something new but Im sure many fans will go with the Mariners or Pirates name.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
[MOD]I will say that I love the Maine Mariners name. I think its good that they have a name the team contest if they do go with something new but Im sure many fans will go with the Mariners or Pirates name.

[MOD] as has been pointed out Spectra doesn't own the Pirates trademark....

personally, I'd get away from the nautical aspect due to that perception, because as I recall Ebrights did the same thing Spectra is now doing

but is that the shoddy media we now have doing reporting at MTM, [MOD]

kyfry

Feb 23, 2017
[MOD] as has been pointed out Spectra doesn't own the Pirates trademark....

I said that many fans would vote to have the Pirates or Mariners name back. Maybe they will take on the MAINEiacs name. Wait do you own that name? Maybe your just salty towards hockey since the MAINEiacs left Lewiston or that one flicker of hope you had when the Pirates played at the Colisee for a season. Spectra could purchase any of the names from the owners. At no point did I ever say that Spectra currently owned either of the names. Show me where exactly I said Spectra owned the Pirates name. Go ahead. Ill wait.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I said that many fans would vote to have the Pirates or Mariners name back. Maybe they will take on the MAINEiacs name. Wait do you own that name? Maybe your just salty towards hockey since the MAINEiacs left Lewiston or that one flicker of hope you had when the Pirates played at the Colisee for a season. Spectra could purchase any of the names from the owners. At no point did I ever say that Spectra currently owned either of the names. Show me where exactly I said Spectra owned the Pirates name. Go ahead. Ill wait.

you missed the whole point,

we had the same discussion 25 years ago and neither name works, kyfry, even if the trademarks could be acquired, so why would either be respected as a name now... 2) THE Pirates lease has ZERO to do with your argument, again, you missed the point.

that lease had been agreed upon in May 2013... that has ZERO to do with Lewiston as a plan B, that is due to the renovation and in-season construction, that is why Portland fans know what the deal is.

the suggestion was likely that neither name/logo/trademark has been used. as for the Q, what does that have to do with the discussion, that franchise was terminated due to finances.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Enough with the bickering and flaming. If this continues, any parties that are responsible will, at minimum, get forum banned from the ECHL forum for two weeks. Knock it off.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA

Final 5 Portland ECHL names:
▪Mariners
▪Watchmen
▪Wild Blueberries
▪Lumberjacks
▪Puffins

Interesting. If I was a Portland fan I would think Mariners, Watchmen or Lumberjacks are OK. As a Royals fan I'm going to go vote for Wild Blueberries, just because I'd love to see what kind of logo and marketing they could come up with - and players would certainly hate it. Puffins is almost as bad, but at least you can use a bird as a logo, I don't think I've ever seen a team named after fruit before.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
Interesting. If I was a Portland fan I would think Mariners, Watchmen or Lumberjacks are OK. As a Royals fan I'm going to go vote for Wild Blueberries, just because I'd love to see what kind of logo and marketing they could come up with - and players would certainly hate it. Puffins is almost as bad, but at least you can use a bird as a logo, I don't think I've ever seen a team named after fruit before.

If they're actually counting votes on this then the team name will definitely be the Wild Blueberries. Social media is already having a field day with it, and it's only a matter of time before we see a Barstool Sports-esque article encouraging everyone to go vote for that name.

I was just thinking about other names or things they could base their team name off of. Maine's known for Lobsters (although I've been told this is already used by minor league basketball team), moose, lighthouses/beaches, parks/mountains. I'm sure someone with more creative talent than I do could come up with something.

Out of the five I think they could probably be the most creative with the Lumberjack name with logos.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
If they're actually counting votes on this then the team name will definitely be the Wild Blueberries. Social media is already having a field day with it, and it's only a matter of time before we see a Barstool Sports-esque article encouraging everyone to go vote for that name.

I was just thinking about other names or things they could base their team name off of. Maine's known for Lobsters (although I've been told this is already used by minor league basketball team), moose, lighthouses/beaches, parks/mountains. I'm sure someone with more creative talent than I do could come up with something.

Out of the five I think they could probably be the most creative with the Lumberjack name with logos.
I would think Watchmen would be a lighthouse keeper, so that one has possibilities. Of course if attendance is bad you would get the inevitable headline in the paper "Who watches the watchmen?"

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
I would think Watchmen would be a lighthouse keeper, so that one has possibilities. Of course if attendance is bad you would get the inevitable headline in the paper "Who watches the watchmen?"

I'd imagine they could probably revive the old Mariners logo in some capacity with that name or something a lot like it if they wanted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad