Pontus Holmberg

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He could potentially be that impact player the Leafs have been looking for among guys drafted outside of the 1st round.

Anyone else think there's some potential offense to be unlocked from his game yet? He just has that level of hockey IQ where he could be that player who always knows where the dangerous spots of the ice are.

Probably. He's already pacing for 30 points while getting less than 10 min ATOI.

Reactions: authentic

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Anyone else think there's some potential offense to be unlocked from his game yet? He just has that level of hockey IQ where he could be that player who always knows where the dangerous spots of the ice are.

I'm surprised he hasn't gotten a look at 2LW yet, he ticks a lot of boxes for what that line needs.

Reactions: authentic

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Been a guy I've been saying will make a NHL impact for years. He was miles better than Engvall at every age, and the Giraffe is a good/great bottom-6 player. Not shocked at all about the immediate 2 way impact he's provided in a non-sheltered role, but I didn't think the production would translate so quickly. He's been fantastic for us so its too bad he'll be offersheeted this off season.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Tiny sample. 2g in 20 games could be a 3 goal scorer or a 10 goal scorer. Maybe the most promising stat for me is that Keefe played him almost 11 minutes last night which means he trusts him and he won't be just crack filler like Anderson. He was the 8th best scorer on his #1 in the league SEL team but led them in goals and points in the playoffs so his development curve might not follow what we are expecting from 15 AHL games. I hope he is around for the balance of the year.
He was the 3LW that year and still dominated in playoff time like that. He went from being a fringe NHL prospect to being a legit prospect that year and pushed it over the top with the playoff performance. He then put up a MASSIVE season the next year playing 1C on a playoff team while dominating shot share (I had the relative numbers for last year, but I'm not on my laptop/not going to search through old threads).

Last year he was 2nd in U23 points, and 15th in overall PPG. He's got legit 50 point upside in the NHL. I just didn't expect him to be putting up elite /60 numbers *THIS* quickly.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
He was the 3LW that year and still dominated in playoff time like that. He went from being a fringe NHL prospect to being a legit prospect that year and pushed it over the top with the playoff performance. He then put up a MASSIVE season the next year playing 1C on a playoff team while dominating shot share (I had the relative numbers for last year, but I'm not on my laptop/not going to search through old threads).

Last year he was 2nd in U23 points, and 15th in overall PPG. He's got legit 50 point upside in the NHL. I just didn't expect him to be putting up elite /60 numbers *THIS* quickly.
Damn. You think he's gonna be offer-sheeted? That would suck.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Zero chance he does. Kypreos did say that a couple weeks ago though as a hypothetical... since that's what Kypreos does.

Holmberg is good but nowhere near where he'll get a huge offersheet or even where the Leafs won't be able to match.

Yep.

The gap between how GMs SHOULD use offer sheets vs how they ACTUALLY use them is pretty massive

Sandin should have been an easy pick off for another team. But silence instead. They only get used on potential stars otherwise GMs clearly don't see any interest in rocking the boat and breaking the taboo against them

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Yep.

The gap between how GMs SHOULD use offer sheets vs how they ACTUALLY use them is pretty massive

Sandin should have been an easy pick off for another team. But silence instead. They only get used on potential stats otherwise GMs clearly don't see any interest in rocking the boat and breaking the taboo against them
The Kotkaniemi offer sheet (and ensuing max term contract) not working out all that well (thus far) likely won't help them to become a more frequent occurrence.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
Man this guy is so good and impresses me more and more each game. Rarely makes a mistake and just does everything very well.

I keep wondering what his ceiling is and think of a comparable, Krejci maybe?

I don’t know but what I do is that he has made our bottom six an actual threat and makes an impact whenever he steps on the ice.

Also, his post game interview 👌😄👍
‘it was a good play by me, it was a good shot’

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Man this guy is so good and impresses me more and more each game. Rarely makes a mistake and just does everything very well.

I don’t know but what I do is that he has made our bottom six an actual threat and makes an impact whenever he steps on the ice.

Let's remember Holmberg turns 25 in less than 2 weeks. He hasn't maxed out, but this isn't a 19 year old kid breaking in.

David Krejci had well over 200 points by the time he was the same age Holmberg now.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013

He just needs to stay the hell out of the penalty box. He's taken a couple silly penalties lately.

As for his upside, IMO, you don't have to look any further than Toronto's own roster. Calle Jarnkrok is an excellent comparison. They have near identical measurables and similar skill sets. Jarnkrok spent most of his career as a perennial 15 goal, 35'ish point, middle 6 forward. Because Jarnkrok played on a defensively minded Nashville team he was probably held back a little bit offensively. On an offensively minded Leafs squad, that probably translates into Holmberg being a 15-20 goal, 40-45 point guy through the back half of his 20's, if he sees regular top 9 minutes.

JMO.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
IMHO, unless he scores 50 to 60 points per, this guy has little value. He is not a corner guy, he is not a tougher type player, he does not use his body to punish, his defence or ok, he is not a penalty killer, he doesn't block shots at excessive rates.
Nice player, but successful bottom guys must do something really well.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Can't bring myself to complain about a player who can bring a decent blend of offence and defence to either bottom six line for 800K.

Reactions: Clyde Brewer

HomelessPepper

Jul 1, 2019
He just needs to stay the hell out of the penalty box. He's taken a couple silly penalties lately.

As for his upside, IMO, you don't have to look any further than Toronto's own roster. Calle Jarnkrok is an excellent comparison. They have near identical measurables and similar skill sets. Jarnkrok spent most of his career as a perennial 15 goal, 35'ish point, middle 6 forward. Because Jarnkrok played on a defensively minded Nashville team he was probably held back a little bit offensively. On an offensively minded Leafs squad, that probably translates into Holmberg being a 15-20 goal, 40-45 point guy through the back half of his 20's, if he sees regular top 9 minutes.

JMO.
Jarnkrok is exactly who I thought of as well. A Swiss army knife player who can play anywhere in your lineup.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
IMHO, unless he scores 50 to 60 points per, this guy has little value. He is not a corner guy, he is not a tougher type player, he does not use his body to punish, his defence or ok, he is not a penalty killer, he doesn't block shots at excessive rates.
We are watching different players. I see him use his strength very effectively on the forecheck, he is responsible and aware defensively, and he has some sneaky offensive capabilities. I can easily see him penciled in at 3LW for the next few years.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

2022-2023 Leafs forwards >= 30 games played
50+ points - 4 players (you can guess)
Hits per 60 forwards Holmberg 4th.
Blocks per 60 forwards Holmberg 3rd.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad