Player Discussion Pontus Aberg

PerformanceMcOil

Aug 2, 2005
How he is playing above Pulj is mind-bendingly-stupid. Although I'm not *surprised* by our coaches idiocy, it is still infuriating.

If the games meant something right now, I'm sure Jesse would be playing more than Aberg. But since they don't, and all signs point towards Jesse being a good NHLer, why not see if Aberg is worth anything?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Another dime a dozen player and another dime a dozen player that gets to play higher in the lineup than their best prospect, f***ing dummies and to think that all these dummies are going to be back next season. Please trade Puljujarvi to a team that will play him before he loses all value.
Anyway, I would have preferred a pick for Letestu.

Reactions: Aerrol and PulYou

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Another dime a dozen player and another dime a dozen player that gets to play higher in the lineup than their best prospect, ****ing dummies and to think that all these dummies are going to be back next season.

I actually don't mind the idea of an Aberg-RNH-Puljujarvi line. However, it has to be structured like that- with Pulju on his natural side- and it has to be given top-six minutes.

That's probably a pipe dream though given we all know that Lucic, Cammalleri, Caggiula and Pakarinen are locks to play ahead of them on any given night. :help:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I wrote this in the GDT last night, but he reminds me a bit of Yakupov. People say he has a great shot, but it really seems to be more a hard shot but without any accuracy which ends up being sort of useless. Seems like a good skater, but doesn't seem overly adept at getting into the right spots, or facing the right direction to use his shot.

He's better away from the puck than Yakupov, but not at a level that makes up for the fact that despite his "skill" he contributes nothing offensively. Of all the fringe guys we've been throwing into the lineup this season I've liked him the least. Caggiula and Slepy are both better imo. Hell I think if you put Pak up with McDavid he'd do more.

Still early of course, an maybe it will click for him the rest of the way or next season. But honestly it's looking to me like I'd rather have had the pick. Even if it was just a 4th rounder.

Hopefully at some point someone can quote this post to me and I'll look like an idiot though.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I wrote this in the GDT last night, but he reminds me a bit of Yakupov. People say he has a great shot, but it really seems to be more a hard shot but without any accuracy which ends up being sort of useless. Seems like a good skater, but doesn't seem overly adept at getting into the right spots, or facing the right direction to use his shot.

He's better away from the puck than Yakupov, but not at a level that makes up for the fact that despite his "skill" he contributes nothing offensively. Of all the fringe guys we've been throwing into the lineup this season I've liked him the least. Caggiula and Slepy are both better imo. Hell I think if you put Pak up with McDavid he'd do more.

Still early of course, an maybe it will click for him the rest of the way or next season. But honestly it's looking to me like I'd rather have had the pick. Even if it was just a 4th rounder.

Hopefully at some point someone can quote this post to me and I'll look like an idiot though.

I agree with alot of this. There is a reason Nashville wanted to give him away and not the pick. Im fine with the return of Aberg, but this is a guy who should be on a 4th line. Forsure should not be in the top 6

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
I actually don't mind the idea of an Aberg-RNH-Puljujarvi line. However, it has to be structured like that- with Pulju on his natural side- and it has to be given top-six minutes.

That's probably a pipe dream though given we all know that Lucic, Cammalleri, Caggiula and Pakarinen are locks to play ahead of them on any given night. :help:

I actually like Pakarinen.. :popcorn:

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I agree with alot of this. There is a reason Nashville wanted to give him away and not the pick. Im fine with the return of Aberg, but this is a guy who should be on a 4th line. Forsure should not be in the top 6
I think he's at least a fourth liner. Anything more is a bonus. I guess better than an AHL tweener for a return.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I like Pakarinen more.

So far he has not looked terrible but also has been considerably shy of good.

Maybe he finds his game and becomes something but it seems unlikely.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Todd has given him a bit of linemates to adapt to in his short stint so far.

He's getting opportunities. He's been decent.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
3 Point Night. 5 Points in 9 Games. 1 Missed Practice. Small sample size says inconsistent, but productive? Or a product of Draisaitl? Who knows.

I don't mind the try out though.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Aberg is an intriguing player. He was pretty much a point a game player in the AHL albeit he was 23 years old.
Still...he seems like he might have middle 6 potential.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
He has a lot of speed. 650K next season could be a very good value contract. Worse case he is a 4th liner that brings some offense and speed, not bad to have. He could be a top six player. His last 9 games need to be strong for us to really think we maybe have a good winger for Drai.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
He threw a couple really smart picks last game that led to either goals or opportunities. It's the sort of play I see teams do against us all the time, so it's nice to see that from our side.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Players coming in from talented organizations always look better when they get here. Then about half a season later the Oileritis sets it.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
The way some people pronounce his name sounds ... a bit funny if you know any Swedish (I only know the bad things).

It sounds like he is being called:
är - 'to be'

bög - you need to paste it into Google translate, because it's definitely banned on HF.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
At the very least he is a 13th forward signed very cheap next year. I don't think he is showing enough to be a consistent roster player though. In no way should be he penciled into next year's lineup in a middle 6 role. If he is, we're a bad team again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad