the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
1704513851311.jpeg

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
of course, but there have been long periods this year with everyone playing.

Pono is a young player and shouldn't sit, ie Lemieux, with play aiding his development.
he likely won't sit. If everyone was healthy, he'll likely be sent back to the AHL unless he is so overwhelmingly good over this stretch, that he forces his way onto the team permanently, but that would surprise me.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He’s likely the new Drury of one to two years ago. The only difference may be the popularity, not that Drury was disliked but they do seem to be man crushing on Pono. Rod seems pretty sensitive to the locker room so maybe that gets him some extra points but generally I agree with BBA. He’s probably only here until we’re healthier unless he takes someone’s job by really good play. I think Lemieux is probably the only one currently threatened by Pono and he works his tail off when he plays while being a vet with a great attitude about sitting. We don’t want Pono in that spot anyways.

Maybe next year there’s a fourth line wing spot left for him if he plays well this season.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I don't think he'll get much more than a cup of coffee this season. He looked good, but not dominant at all. His production was nice, but it doesn't look like he's figured out the NHL game yet. There will be growing pains later.

I think Brindy will love him. He has a golden opportunity to make the team next year as we lose some of Martinook, Teuvo, Lemieux. I'm expecting him to make the league and be a McGinn kind of player. If he exceeds expectations, awesome.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't think he'll get much more than a cup of coffee this season. He looked good, but not dominant at all. His production was nice, but it doesn't look like he's figured out the NHL game yet. There will be growing pains later.

I think Brindy will love him. He has a golden opportunity to make the team next year as we lose some of Martinook, Teuvo, Lemieux. I'm expecting him to make the league and be a McGinn kind of player. If he exceeds expectations, awesome.

I don't think we can fairly make that assessment from a player's first game with 13 min. TOI, while playing with a rotating cast of players due to the 11-7 line-up. Very few players look dominant in their 1st NHL game, especially if they are playing with Lemieux for the majority of that ice time.

I thought he didn't look out of place, and showed some nice qualities to his game, which is a good thing.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
he likely won't sit. If everyone was healthy, he'll likely be sent back to the AHL unless he is so overwhelmingly good over this stretch, that he forces his way onto the team permanently, but that would surprise me.
Correct answer. At 21 soon to be 22, team will ensure he gets sufficient play all year.

Good news is that if he gets some run and practice time with the big club then he could be a good asset to have for the playoffs (I would suspect Wolves are running a different approach than the Canes this year so the time up is important).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad