Poll: Who/What do you blame for missing the playoffs?

Who/what is most to blame for missing the playoffs?

• Steve Yzerman's roster composition

Votes: 36 20.1%
  • Derek Lalonde's coaching

Votes: 39 21.8%
  • Goaltending

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • Over-reliance on veterans on the blue line

Votes: 18 10.1%
  • The players not gaining the necessary points

Votes: 30 16.8%
  • Bad injury luck

Votes: 9 5.0%
  • Other (list in the comments)

Votes: 22 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
1713322729736.png

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Giving out blame..... so pointless

How about no one. Team tried their best, but sometimes it doesn't work out. The team isn't perfect, but no team is. This team certainly didn't massively under perform for the season. Yes, the bad March killed them, I get it, things could of been better there.

I guess this helps people cope. Fire away.

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
I think it was the veteran signings outside of Kane, I get with Larkin in his prime you want to surround him m with experience, but some of the signings were just horrible starting with Copp last year.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Lack of talent and no one knows how to lead other than Larkin. All those vets we signed and not a single one stepped up when Larkin was out.
Yeah, that was disappointing. Lots of Cup winners on the team that Yzerman added. The team lacked poise with Larkin out. They were rattled. Unprepared against a shit team like Arizona (twice). I was disappointed in the vets. Obviously you bring back Compher with that contract but Perron/Kane are probably gone. They're still stuck with Petry and Maata.

Reactions: wings95 and lgrws91

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Multiple factors for sure. I want to say coaching as it affects the team from a game-to-game basis moreso than the other factors and you have to adapt to changing environments every game, and every shift.

This team looked like it could not string together many games where they looked like they could lock it down defensively. I mean you have a lot of talent on this team that looked playoff bound and we pissed away at least a half dozen points because we decided to blow 4-1 leads or score our way out of a 4-1 deficit.

You can score all the goals you want, but clearly even in the most dire time of the year when Larkin came back, they still couldn't keep the puck out of net. Getting out-coached and caved in where our D looked like they had nothing to do but scramble around the zone really got tiresome.

Yeah Lyon and Reimer isn't a great tandem, but other teams like Seattle last year have mustered out more, with seemingly less in front of their goalies.

Like I said, many other factors but we were bound for a volatile season.

Reactions: lgrws91

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Better defensive talent (speed/IQ) and continued growth from the forwards, especially needing a couple of forwards who will stand in front of the net on offense. Otherwise, you guys are basically on track to make it next year. Even more so, if you can figure out how to relegate Petry to the 7th dman and jettison Holl.

Reactions: wings95

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
One thing I will say about Lalonde though, he better not stick Seider with Chiarot next season. Even though I felt Mo slightly improved this season, I think he was held back due to that pairing.

Reactions: lgrws91 and 14ari13

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Whom isn't ever actually right. It's a made-up word designed to trick kids in school

How in the blue hell did Debrincat have 67 points and 27 goals?
Whomevers name is John Tortorella why don't you take a letter opener and stick it in your skull.

I suppose I blame the roster construction. Too many times this year (Kraken, Coyotes, Senators, even the past two games against the Habs) we've been out skated by far younger and more skilled players.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think it was the veteran signings outside of Kane, I get with Larkin in his prime you want to surround him m with experience, but some of the signings were just horrible starting with Copp last year.
This take makes zero sense in relation to the question being asked. Apart from Ed, no one in GR was better than any veteran signing we have made in the last two years. You could argue that we should have deferred gratification and played the kids, but that is not the question being asked.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I blame Copp.

But ultimately, it's the GM's fault. 3 backup goalies with no starter, 2 mediocre centers, an "enforcer" who can't skate at NHL level, inexperienced coach, lack of protocol to prevent the spread of viruses, and Holl. Also committing to play AHLers instead of the one NHL ready forward prospect.

Reactions: lilidk

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
The Blueline was dog shit down the stretch. Signing Holl, Ghost (good offensively a train wreck in his own zone) and trading for Petry was a mistake.

The defense needs to be gutted. Let the young players play and sign someone competent as a stop gap for the 2nd pairing RD to play with Ed like Pesce.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Overall lack of talent which isn't fully on Yzerman as you can only do so much to make the team better. Still think Lalonde though isn't the right guy for the job and think Ed and Mo would benefit from him and/or Boughner gone. Mo's style changed with Lalonde and not for the better.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Multiple factors at the end of the day, but mostly a lack of talent. I have a hard time arguing that we underachieved this season no matter how much it sucked watching them piss it away.

Reactions: DamonDRW

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Lack of talented goaltenders and defensemen on the NHL club which falls on Yzerman. He's gone through three reclamation project goaltenders and signed defensemen who wanted bounce back contracts.

Bright side is I believe he is buying time until the prospects are ready to go.

PavelDatsyuk13DET

Jun 21, 2019
I was torn between "roster composition" and "over reliance on veterans on the blue line". I would have put a category for defense in general because veterans on the blue line isn't a bad thing but when you rely on veteran bums like Petry/Maata/Chariot and Holl for a large part of the year, it doesn't matter how good our PP or offense in general is.

Some blame should absolutely go on Lalonde too though, if it wasn't for us getting a near PPG Patrick Kane out of nowhere with his 7? game winners, most of us would be talking about firing him. If we don't make it next year, he should be gone for sure. If not before that.

Reactions: lgrws91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad