Poll: Who/What do you blame for missing the playoffs?

Who/what is most to blame for missing the playoffs?

• Steve Yzerman's roster composition

Votes: 36 20.1%
  • Derek Lalonde's coaching

Votes: 39 21.8%
  • Goaltending

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • Over-reliance on veterans on the blue line

Votes: 18 10.1%
  • The players not gaining the necessary points

Votes: 30 16.8%
  • Bad injury luck

Votes: 9 5.0%
  • Other (list in the comments)

Votes: 22 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I think it's time Yzerman builds a nice package during the draft and gets us a serious impact player in return. We know Berggren want's out, so maybe package him with our first and maybe even another blue chipper and get something serious in return.

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
This take makes zero sense in relation to the question being asked. Apart from Ed, no one in GR was better than any veteran signing we have made in the last two years. You could argue that we should have deferred gratification and played the kids, but that is not the question being asked.
Huh? The question was whom to blame and I think it was a lot of the vets. And I don't even necessarily think they should have played the kids, just sign better vets.

Last edited:

PavelDatsyuk13DET

Jun 21, 2019
I blame Copp.

But ultimately, it's the GM's fault. 3 backup goalies with no starter, 2 mediocre centers, an "enforcer" who can't skate at NHL level, inexperienced coach, lack of protocol to prevent the spread of viruses, and Holl. Also committing to play AHLers instead of the one NHL ready forward prospect.
What do you mean by lack of protocol to prevent the spread of viruses? Do you have an example of what the Red Wings did specifically? You can't realistically prevent that type of thing all the time.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Huh? The question was whom to blame and I think it was a lot of the vets. And I don't even necessarily think they should have played the kids, just sign better vets.

What better vets were there? The UFA class was pretty lame and a lot of the vets didn't want a rebuilding team.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Huh? The question was who to blame and I think it was a lot of the vets. And I don't even necessarily think they should have played the kids, just sign better vets.
Playing a d core of:

Chiarot - Seider
Edvinsson - Petry
Mattaa - Ghostisbehere

In front of Lyon who couldn't stop a beach ball after late February, and Reimer who is barely an NHL goalie was crazy.

Roster construction is a huge issue of mine. Was Yzerman trying to make the playoffs or not. If he was, why not sign better veterans or make a trade deadline deal for a goalie? If he wasn't, why not play the kids instead of Petry/Mattaa or Czarnik/Fischer/Sprong/Copp. Now, we pretty much wasted a year, finishing in the worst possible spot without giving the young players a sniff.

Reactions: DanielMarois

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
Playing a d core of:

Chiarot - Seider
Edvinsson - Petry
Mattaa - Ghostisbehere

In front of Lyon who couldn't stop a beach ball after late February, and Reimer who is barely an NHL goalie was crazy.

Roster construction is a huge issue of mine. Was Yzerman trying to make the playoffs or not. If he was, why not sign better veterans or make a trade deadline deal for a goalie? If he wasn't, why not play the kids instead of Petry/Mattaa or Czarnik/Fischer/Sprong/Copp. Now, we pretty much wasted a year, finishing in the worst possible spot without giving the young players a sniff.
This is where I am at too, which is the Wings are in this weird position where their #1 C is in his prime and edging towards 30, but many 1 st rd picks have not played yet and there might be some growing pains with inserting them into the lineup.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I don't get the impression management views this season the way the fans do. I think they're probably pretty happy with things. Things are on track and improving. They're not tied down too much with bad contracts. They've got some hungry kids. No need to panic and blow everything up. I think they were pleasantly surprised we were comfortably in a playoff spot at the trade deadline. I think the one thing that rankles is how they could never step up in important games until Raymond dragged the team into contention at the end.

But Yzerman and crew probably are right where they expected to be. The future is bright.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
I don't get the impression management views this season the way the fans do. I think they're probably pretty happy with things. Things are on track and improving. They're not tied down too much with bad contracts. They've got some hungry kids. No need to panic and blow everything up. I think they were pleasantly surprised we were comfortably in a playoff spot at the trade deadline. I think the one thing that rankles is how they could never step up in important games until Raymond dragged the team into contention at the end.

But Yzerman and crew probably are right where they expected to be. The future is bright.
/agree, sure there have been some value signing 1 and dones like sprong n ghost , but overall think SY goal was bringing in players to build good team culture more than trying make the playoffs this year.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
This is where I am at too, which is the Wings are in this weird position where their #1 C is in his prime and edging towards 30, but many 1 st rd picks have not played yet and there might be some growing pains with inserting them into the lineup.
Yeah the timelines do not match at all, mixed with a major lack of talent in the organization. Almost feels as if another rebuild is inevitable.

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022
Just kidding around but how about The Count and his loser point.

1713328629101.png

7 Islanders 38 -43 76 points.
8 Caps 40-42 80 points.
9 Wings 41-41 82 points.

• Wow
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If I'm forced to choose a single reason then it is goaltending. We lost so many games when Husso, Reimer, or Lyon started to be shaky at different times of the year.

Other than the hot stretch from Lyon, the goaltending was a serious liability all year. Fastest way to tank a team is to have subpar goaltending.

Now you guys know why I was saber rattling for years to draft goalies with 1st and 2nd round picks instead of the "oh you can get good enough goaltending anywhere..."

Please work out Cossa, please work out Cossa.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What do you mean by lack of protocol to prevent the spread of viruses? Do you have an example of what the Red Wings did specifically? You can't realistically prevent that type of thing all the time.

Did we not learn anything from the COVID pandemic?

People who are sick should stay home, and if they're in the same room the SICK person should be wearing a mask. (My works still requires anyone who tested positive to wear a mask after they return for 2 weeks or something) The reason why multiple players got sick is because they forced whoever was sick to play.

Sometimes being a team player means just staying home. It's a lot more common for employers to tell sick employees to go home than pre-COVID.

Reactions: LucaBrasil

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

I suspect this is a correct analysis of the front office. Yzerman is respected on and off the ice. The leash is long and likely design rather than "Yzerman can do no wrong" sentiment. We witnessed the slow rot with Holland and now the measured rebuild.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
The talent just isn't there, but it will be.

Every team deals with injury but when any one of our top talents go down there is no one at all to fill the shoes. You can't compete until that is no longer an issue.

PokeyTheCat

Jul 23, 2021
It’s a mix of things. This isn’t the sole reason, but my mind keeps going back to that blown 4-0 lead at home against the Sharks in December.

Two shorthanded goals against and another blown lead late in the third only to lose in overtime is absurd. Yeah, you can look at any overtime or shootout loss and say the same thing about the missed point, but this one sticks out more than the rest.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
The no-show games they lost that some point to happen to every team, and are offset by winning games they had no business winning, or wins because opponents are sometimes no-shows too. People focus on the bad part without recognizing the good part of the equation. With all their unlikely comeback wins this season, the Wings probably broke even on that count.

I suspect if the Wings had Edvinsson in the lineup for 40-plus games, rather than just the last 14, they would have earned a couple more points somewhere along the way.

AussieWings

Oct 12, 2018
Melbourne

There are plenty of specific things to be unhappy or frustrated with.

But take a step back, and it seems to me the trajectory is very clearly on the up.

My biggest disappointment right now is the time I have to wait before I can get confirmation the improvement will continue.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I blame our play in our own zone when we had the puck. Too many passes to players with no space or time, and a lot of icings.

Reactions: roccol

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
there's a lot of factors but the complete lack of veteran leadership with Larkin out was pretty damning for a roster so overstuffed with vets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad