[poll] Which is the worst Benning-era transaction?

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
What improvement? Baertschi produced less in Vancouver than he did in his first 3 years in Calgary.

Yeah, he was streaky in Calgary as well. Hopefully his second half last season was sustainable improvement and not another one of his streaks.

Obviously Jensen isn't half the player Baertschi is, but it's interesting to see Rangers fans talk about Jensen the same way Canucks fans talk about Baertschi.

They seem to think that Jensen has finally turned a corner and put everything together. That all he needed was a change of scenery. Obviously Canucks fans know better than to believe that.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think the Baertschi one was fair value, and we might end up winning it.

Bieksa turned into complete crap, I was shocked a team actually saw him as a positive asset. Definitely won that trade.

Bieksa was actually pretty good for Anaheim over the final 60 games of the season after a very poor start. I don't think they regret that trade right now, at all.

For a laugh I decided to sort Benning's trades by the type of stupidity involved in each one. I ended up with 8 different categories; suggestions welcome. Some trades are stupid in multiple ways. 2nd for Vey is the only one in four categories, so I guess that's my vote for worst.

Futures dealt for castoff prospect where Benning thinks he knows better:
Forsling for Clendenning
2nd for Vey
2nd for Baertschi
Shinkaruk for Granlund
Mallet, 3rd for Pedan

Horrifying contract:
Miller 3-year $18 million contract
Sutter 5-year $21.875 million contract
Dorsett 4-year $10.6 million contract
Sbisa 3-year $10.8 million contract

Bleeding draft picks:
Kassian, 5th for Prust
McCann, 2nd, 4th for Gudbranson, 5th
2nd, Bonino, Clenndening for Sutter, 3rd
3rd for Dorsett
2nd for Vey
2nd for Baertschi
Mallet, 3rd for Pedan
5th for Larsen

Weak return on a veteran:
Kesler for Bonino, Sbisa, 23rd pick
Garrison, Costello and a 7th for a 2nd
Lack for 3rd, 7th

Overpayment for a player they targeted:
3rd for Dorsett
2nd for Vey

Thinks a terrible roster player on another team is good:
3rd for Dorsett
Kassian, 5th for Prust

Fetish for players that JB or JW already know:
2nd for Vey
2nd for Baertschi
Shinkaruk for Granlund
3rd for Dorsett

Total failure to execute:
Moves zero roster players at 2016 trade deadline

Reasonable or trivial moves:
Bieksa for 2nd
McNally for 5th
Jensen and 6th for Etem
Fox for futures
Jeffrey for Conacher
Acton for Lain

:laugh: This is brilliant.

Add Bartkowski to the 'fetish for known players' pile.

Thats quite a long list for such a short tenure.

Obviously the worst move involving Benning was his hiring.

It really is amazing that pretty much every significant transaction that Benning has made is on the list, and justifiably so.

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
For a laugh I decided to sort Benning's trades by the type of stupidity involved in each one. I ended up with 8 different categories; suggestions welcome. Some trades are stupid in multiple ways. 2nd for Vey is the only one in four categories, so I guess that's my vote for worst.

Futures dealt for castoff prospect where Benning thinks he knows better:
Forsling for Clendenning
2nd for Vey
2nd for Baertschi
Shinkaruk for Granlund
Mallet, 3rd for Pedan

Horrifying contract:
Sutter 5-year $21.875 million contract
Dorsett 4-year $10.6 million contract
Sbisa 3-year $10.8 million contract

Bleeding draft picks:
Kassian, 5th for Prust
3rd for Dorsett
2nd for Vey
2nd for Baertschi
Mallet, 3rd for Pedan
5th for Larsen

Weak return on a veteran:
Garrison, Costello and a 7th for a 2nd
Lack for 3rd, 7th

Overpayment for a player they targeted:
3rd for Dorsett
2nd for Vey

Thinks a terrible roster player on another team is good:
3rd for Dorsett
Kassian, 5th for Prust

Fetish for players that JB or JW already know:
2nd for Vey
2nd for Baertschi
Shinkaruk for Granlund
3rd for Dorsett

Total failure to execute:
Moves zero roster players at 2016 trade deadline

Reasonable or trivial moves:
Bieksa for 2nd
McNally for 5th
Jensen and 6th for Etem
Fox for futures
Jeffrey for Conacher
Acton for Lain

This is fun, but the correct choice in the poll is the Kesler trade, because it's Benning's Original Sin.

All the worst transactions here are direct lineage of, or at least linked to, the Kesler trade. Dorsett trade and subsequent extension, Sbisa extension, Sutter trade and extension which links us to the Forsling trade, Gudbranson trade (and projected extension).

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Yeah, that's nice but what you fail to understand is JB should have been trying to trade Vrbata last off-season after they decided he sucks and he was not going to be playing with the Sedins. Or do you believe that Vrbata had zero value after his 31 goal season?

With Hammer, they should have started exploring potential trade options earlier in the season rather than waiting until the last week before the deadline. If they could not trade him, they should have resigned him.

The bottom line is, we lost two prime assets for nothing. It is a total failure by JB as a GM but I'm not surprised that you would type up a 1000 word essay with excuses as to why JB did nothing wrong. It's par for the course for you, sir.

I was a proponent of trading Vrbata last off season! No failure of understanding on my part at all.
Were YOU posting last off season about trading Vrbata? Hmm..

Hammer was injured the first week of Dec and returned in Feb... when should they of explored trading him?

At least you have that bottom line to fall back on.

And it was 243 words.. But I'm not surprised you went hyperbolic to cover up a weak point. Par for the course for you, ma'am/sir. Well done.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
For me it's still 2nd, Bonino, Clenndening for Sutter, 3rd

I just think in terms of value it was the worst trade, and I actually like Sutter as a player. Pens should've been the one sweetening the deal, not the Canucks. It was also completely unnecessary.

Garrison being turned into Vey is basically tied with it though.

That's a tough list... almost all losses there; Lack trade was fine, Dorsett trade was fair. I still maintain the Kesler deal was the best out of a bad situation and that the Canucks were losing that trade no matter what.

Jury will be out on the Gudbranson trade for at least a few seasons.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Would be interesting to see all those trades put into a flow chart like the old Lindros trade tree. The sad thing is we all know that list is going to grow by at least a few more by the end of the summer. Maybe even sooner.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Bieksa was actually pretty good for Anaheim over the final 60 games of the season after a very poor start. I don't think they regret that trade right now, at all.

Are you honestly saying you wouldn't trade beiksa for a 2nd if you had the chance?

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
I was a proponent of trading Vrbata last off season! No failure of understanding on my part at all.
Were YOU posting last off season about trading Vrbata? Hmm..

Hammer was injured the first week of Dec and returned in Feb... when should they of explored trading him?

At least you have that bottom line to fall back on.

And it was 243 words.. But I'm not surprised you went hyperbolic to cover up a weak point. Par for the course for you, ma'am/sir. Well done.

Sorry, are we talking about your decisions or the decisions of our GM? I don't give a crap what you said last summer. When Benning and Co came out last summer and publicly slammed Vrbata after the playoffs and told him he would not be playing with the Sedins again...that when they should looked into moving him.
You don't even make any sense from one post to the next. You were a proponent of trading Vrbata last summer but yet it's not Benning's fault because he failed to make a move then. Either way, in your eyes Benning did nothing wrong.

They should started exploring a trade for Hammer during last off-season as well if they did not think they were going to resign him going forward.

A weak point? These are facts, you are the one writing paragraphs excusing Benning lack of action. Fairly typical.
There was nothing hyperbolic about it either, you have literally typed thousands of words defending Benning. But sure, you counted the words in one post of yours to somehow prove me wrong. :laugh:

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
For me it's still 2nd, Bonino, Clenndening for Sutter, 3rd

I just think in terms of value it was the worst trade, and I actually like Sutter as a player. Pens should've been the one sweetening the deal, not the Canucks. It was also completely unnecessary.

Garrison being turned into Vey is basically tied with it though.

That's a tough list... almost all losses there; Lack trade was fine, Dorsett trade was fair. I still maintain the Kesler deal was the best out of a bad situation and that the Canucks were losing that trade no matter what.

Jury will be out on the Gudbranson trade for at least a few seasons.

Looking back the Kesler trade was not bad value, wasn't great either, just bad asset management. We simply targeted the wrong players. I think it has to be one of the trades up there. It could have set the team up for a retool.

Look at how much less value we got for Garrison than Grud. sure Grud is younger, but both are essentially win now guys. I would say Garrison is better, but Grud has more potential.

You are bang on with the Sutter trade, and what sucks is I don't dislike the player, but whenever I try to point out why I don't like it, people just jump up saying you dont like the player.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is fun, but the correct choice in the poll is the Kesler trade, because it's Benning's Original Sin.

All the worst transactions here are direct lineage of, or at least linked to, the Kesler trade. Dorsett trade and subsequent extension, Sbisa extension, Sutter trade and extension which links us to the Forsling trade, Gudbranson trade (and projected extension).

Yup. It was the biggest, most important move and it was completely cocked up and has led to a string of other terrible moves over the ensuing two years.

The godawful Miller signing has had a similar chain effect down the line, as well.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Shink for Granlund. It was an immediate downgrade for no apparent reason. Absolutely baffling display of player evaluation any way you look at it.

The Gudbranson trade is a close second. The funniest thing about it is the downgraded 4th for a 5th. As if (basically) two first rounders for a #4/5 defenseman wasn't embarrassing enough already, we have to give them just a little extra value :laugh:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Shink for Granlund. It was an immediate downgrade for no apparent reason. Absolutely baffling display of player evaluation any way you look at it.

The Gudbranson trade is a close second. The funniest thing about it is the downgraded 4th for a 5th. As if (basically) two first rounders for a #4/5 defenseman wasn't embarrassing enough already, we have to give them just a little extra value :laugh:

Gotta have that sweetener. It's like adding a 7th to a #3 defenseman to get a late 2nd rounder.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
I'm not sure if it's the most damaging, but the one I consider most divorced from reality was the Sbisa contract extension. How Benning could watch Sbisa for nearly a full season and decide that his play was worth a raise on a long term contract is beyond me.

Easy...we bought free agent years. :sarcasm:

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
This...this so much. It's kind of jarring seeing all of these listed. He's only been on the job for two years...

We have to give him time to learn. He only had 8 years AGM experience before this.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
It really is amazing that pretty much every significant transaction that Benning has made is on the list, and justifiably so.

And I thought of another.... waiving Corrado (who's performance in pre-season was due to earlier injuries) instead of putting Higgins on the injured reserve list.

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
And I thought of another.... waiving Corrado (who's performance in pre-season was due to earlier injuries) instead of putting Higgins on the injured reserve list.

Oh I forgot this one! Better to just keep a young Dman and see if it works out than put him on waivers, which he got claimed off of!! :shakehead

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
After listening to JB on with the Sportnet panel about the Gudbranson deal, I'm becoming more and more convinced that it's ownership driving the bus right now...Jimbo claimed that their scouts had narrowed the choices down to a couple of forwards and two d-men at 33rd overall....then goes on to say that the player they pick would spend at least a couple of years in junior, and more time in the minors and might not be able to help until five years down the road....the classic excuse for trading draft picks..so what's the point of drafting anybody?...says he 'hates' giving up second-rounders, then does it anyway....let's face it, this team is in a 'win now' mode, and I'm beginning to doubt that either Benning or Desjardings will be around for another 2-3 years in lottery land.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
After listening to JB on with the Sportnet panel about the Gudbranson deal, I'm becoming more and more convinced that it's ownership driving the bus right now...Jimbo claimed that their scouts had narrowed the choices down to a couple of forwards and two d-men at 33rd overall....then goes on to say that the player they pick would spend at least a couple of years in junior, and more time in the minors and might not be able to help until five years down the road....the classic excuse for trading draft picks..so what's the point of drafting anybody?...says he 'hates' giving up second-rounders, then does it anyway....let's face it, this team is in a 'win now' mode, and I'm beginning to doubt that either Benning or Desjardings will be around for another 2-3 years in lottery land.

well sit back and watch it burn. 'fan for life! fan for life!'

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
1) Trade Deadline... Still mad and disappointed with no moves!
2) Shinkaruk for Granlund deal- still don't get this one!
3) Sbisa signing- the guy is a bottom pairing d at best (way too much $ wasted)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad