[poll] Which is the worst Benning-era transaction?

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
I voted Kesler deal.

I probably should have included the firings that have occurred as well, like Gilman. But I guess we can keep it on the ice mistakes only!

Edit: poll up now. Took a while to compile the many many options lol

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
our 2nd round pick for LInden Vey was ********. Although it was a weak draft, I rather roll my dice on a prospect then someone like Vey who was waived last year.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Kesler deal didn't hurt the most, but it was the biggest missed opportunity.

Bonino-for-Sutter is probably the worst because of the long-term extension given to him.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
Shinkaruk-Granlund
Pointless and useless

This one because you knew a stupid McCann trade was inevitable after it happened.

Kesler trade was fine and I'm not critical of the Kassian one. Haven't liked any others.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
The Sutter deal. You just can't give that kind of money to someone who hasn't played a single game for you.

The Shinkaruk deal, Lack deal and Forsling deal are close behind as the worst for me.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Giving a sub-NHL level player a top-4 defenseman's contract is just absolutely asinine and sums up Jim Benning in a nutshell. He'd have to give Andrew Ladd $70M to top how bad that Sbisa contract is. Sutter is at least an NHL player; still a terrible move, but it's just an overpayment which I take 10/10 over paying for a dumpster fire.

Would vote firing Gilman and co. if possible, and especially replacing them with Weisbrod. Even though Benning clearly tuned Gilman out, I'd like to think he managed to veto at least one idiotic move before Jim got free reigns to **** up the team for the next decade.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Pretty embarrassing that this is already such a tough choice.

I went with Forsling. We just gave away a prospect who is exactly the kind of player that our system needs, whose stock had only been rising since he was drafted and has continued to rise since. Traded him for a guy that we played for 2 games before we realized he couldn't skate and dumped him.

Not the most franchise-crippling, but pretty much hits on all points: terrible asset management, terrible read of our team situation, and terrible pro scouting.

Bonino for Sutter was the most pointless and has turned out the most hilariously.

Kesler for Bonino was the most wasted opportunity.

Sbisa/Dorsett extension were the biggest unforced errors.

So hard to choose the worst when so many are so bad in different ways. You basically need to separate these into different awards (the Bennings.)

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
There are so many dumb**** moves that it's hard to pick which is worst. :laugh:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Really tough choice between Shinkaruk, Sbisa contract and Forsling. Forsling has the sheer stupidity going for it but the Shinkaruk and Sbisa contract was rage inducing. The Shinkaruk trade made me the most angry I've been at a trade since becoming a Canucks fan so let's go with that.

Hell of a list though that just keeps on getting longer. I'm sure we'll have a few more options by the end of the summer.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
The Benning chocolate box, not many I like there.

Well the Kesler one then, something of value traded for a handful of useless pieces which fills up cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad