Speculation: Poll: Where does Sid finish his career in total points?

What range will Sid finish his career in points?

• Total voters

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Sid has never finished a season below averaging a point per game. Still, he will be 34 by the start of next season and certainly not getting any younger. With the numerous injuries including a prolonged concussion and sports hernia, it'll be interesting to see how many more seasons he has left in the tank.

When all is said and done, where do you think Sid finishes in point totals? He needs 75 to get to 1400. Is it out of the question for him to finish his career with more points than Mario?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think he'll be close to Mario, but not quite get there. I'll guess between 1600-1700.

Expecting roughly 65-75pts a year until his contract runs out and he probably hangs 'em up.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I voted 1600-1700. I based it on him not playing past his contract and averaging 70 points a season for the final 4 years. 70 points a year allows for some time lost and decline. High IQ, leg strength & skill should see him avoid any falling off a cliff type scenarios.

Reactions: Burn

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I voted 1700-1800. Assumption was 6 more years at 60 per year gets him to 1685. I think an average of 60 is a floor so I went up from there.

The assumption is he remains healthy and plays into his late 30s. Sid eats, sleeps, and breathes hockey. I don’t see him retiring until he absolutely has to.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I voted 1700-1800. Assumption was 6 more years at 60 per year gets him to 1685. I think an average of 60 is a floor so I went up from there.

The assumption is he remains healthy and plays into his late 30s. Sid eats, sleeps, and breathes hockey. I don’t see him retiring until he absolutely has to.

I could see him retiring if he doesn't feel elite any more. Not sure he'll continue to play past his contract if he doesn't feel like an impact player any more.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I could see him retiring if he doesn't feel elite any more. Not sure he'll continue to play past his contract if he doesn't feel like an impact player any more.

It’s certainly possible and I’m just making shit up, but I feel like Sid will continue to play as long as his body let’s him and he can compete at a top 6 level. I could see a 38 year old 2nd line center putting up 60 points for Sid. Some guys can’t get over that mindset and need to be the best, but I see Sid in the Yzerman camp.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

The guy has lived, ate, and breathed hockey his entire life...and was robbed of the best 1-2 years of his career from a fluke injury. I don't see him stopping until he physically has to. He'll adapt his game as needed to remain useful.

Last edited:

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
The guy has lived, ate, and breathed hockey his entire life...and was robbed of the best 1-2 years of his career from a fluke injury. I don't see him stopping until he physically has to. He'll adapt his game as needed to remain useful.

He's also accomplished everything you can accomplish in hockey. Idk if he would stick around just to pad the point total, especially if hes hamstringing the team

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He's also accomplished everything you can accomplish in hockey. Idk if he would stick around just to pad the point total, especially if hes hamstringing the team

How would he be “hamstringing” the team? Are you suggesting he’s holding them back from a rebuild or that he’s so bad he makes them worse?

I really can see Sid helping usher the next wave of Pens like Mario did for Sid.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

The odds are that if he ever gets to the point that he is 'hamstringing' the team, we'll be very bad again. In that case, who cares? He'll at least keep a few butts in seats.

tread102

Mar 17, 2008
The consensus always has been sid’s game will age well. I’m not so sure now. He hasn’t looked the same since the sports hernia. He might be a shell of himself in 3-4 years

Zap Rowsdower

Sep 10, 2019
I don't care, as long as it's move than Ovi. Hate it when they show Crosby/Ovi career point totals but never mention the 100's more games Ovi played. Yeah, stuff like that bothers me

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Sid can probably be effective until he's 45, tbh. But he's gonna need to adjust his game accordingly, and be surrounded by the kind of guys who will help get the most out of Sid. The ideal situation is what Bergeron's in right now. All we have to do is find two 100pt caliber wingers. :laugh:

In all seriousness, I think he's already shifting gears to be the more cycle-based, defensively oriented guy now because he knows his speed isn't what it used to be anymore. He'll probably be a fine enough player, 60-75pts a season, until his current deal is up. Maybe a few more years after that.

Reactions: madinsomniac

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Gretzky had publicly lamented his decision to retire at 38.... i think sid goes to at least 40 barring a severe injury or just totally dropping off.... but players of his caliber rarely hit a cliff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad