[POLL] Should We Sign Goodrow if He Costs 4M?

Should we Sign Goodrow if He Costs 4M AAV?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Which is another problem unfortunately. Too many GMs give out NMCs or NTCs to players, probably in order to cut away a million or something from the AAV. I welcome the day when we have a GM in the league who goes against the tide and doesn't give out these clauses to players, even star players.

Some teams are more strict about it

Yet for the Rangers

If we assume they are selling the player on signing with them, on the NYC market, it would not be that great of a sell job if they did not include at least some sort of clause that would help keep them in that market for that contract.

Similarly, if we assume they are telling the potential signing player they are building a good team, tough to not also give him some security that he will be part of that (more) finished product

I'm not sure the players really trade salary or term for the clause, more so it would seem hypocritical to say, yeah we want you, here in NYC, on our budding great team, then say, no way we are not giving you a clause.

Reactions: LOFIN

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Hoping for under 4, but likely will be a longer term then.

I said yes to this poll because I think he's a piece the Rangers need, the right piece when addressing the "toughness" issue Dolan cited after decapitating the front office. So if the mandate is to bring in these type of guys, might as well overpay a little to get one who's won Cups.

I'd also rather see a guy like Goodrow come in than a lesser, more one dimensional goon type like Reaves just to check off a box. That type of player will likely cost you on the open market what others are hoping to sign Goodrow for today.

Because we've been down that road several times with our current unofficial assistant GM at the helm.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Overpaying for Goodrow sets a precedent.

Why would Mika or Fox take a 'discount' after a bottom6 player gets $4M? After Fast was lowballed @ $1.5M?

It may not sound like a big deal but it is.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Overpaying for Goodrow sets a precedent.

Why would Mika or Fox take a 'discount' after a bottom6 player gets $4M? After Fast was lowballed @ $1.5M?

It may not sound like a big deal but it is.

This is a fair take on it, other than the fact that its a UFA signing and the players understand that - but it is fair to bring up

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
No. Absolutely not. You don't want big contracts in the bottom 6, Rangers already have one with Kreider, adding a second just handicaps the team more long term. Also drives the price up for players that will need to re-sign in the near future, which will also handicap the team more long term. A bad organization would do this, would like to see the Rangers not be a bad organization.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Target $2.75MM with a limit of $3.0MM on my end.

Wouldn't go longer than 4 years.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
This team wouldn't have to worry about being in these situations if they hadn't let their cheap role players in Fast, Hagelin etc, walk away in the first place. JG ripped the heart out of this team a long time ago.
Pay the man..

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
I’ll repeat (once again) what the CEO of an NHL team told me a few years ago; hockey fans worry more about the salary cap than teams do. Seems relevant here.
But of course they do. The GM will eventually get fired. Owners can sell the franchise. The fans have to live with these decisions and maybe go through long rebuilds because of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Off Sides

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad