[POLL] Should We Sign Goodrow if He Costs 4M?

Should we Sign Goodrow if He Costs 4M AAV?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
If they give him that kind of money they had better front load it so he's basically playing for free the last 3 years of the deal.

jacko23

Lurkers unite!
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
Thats about $1M too steep. If we could give him max years at that AAV and the cap goes up accordingly, it wouldnt be bad by the end of the contract, but there would be a few years in the gray area for sure.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
He will def get that on the open market also that’s probably an overpayment of like 1 mill, really wouldn’t be the end of the world as long as term isn’t ridiculous

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
4 mill is insane no matter how many years.

3 is probably pushing it but I know that’s what he’s going to get. I’d set the limit at 3.25 and walk away from anything more.

Is 3.25 or 4 that much of a difference in the grand scheme, especially if a player is exactly what is needed? Even if it's a slight overpayment thats 750,000 of a 81 million dollar cap limit.

Reactions: haveandare

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
No, but now I really wish that Lias, Lemieux, Howden or Gauthier could have worked out for us. Just not a good enough job filling out the roster with those kinds of moves, and it put us in a bad position.

Reactions: egelband

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Also I don't think he's getting 4 on the open market even if we don't sign him. This is just being perpetuated because Vince and Carp dropped some guesstimates. No one who scoops anyone has said anything of the sort, other than the fact that there are teams willing to go up to 6 years.

Low to mid 3's with 5-6 years seems like a given though. IF he comes in at 5x2.85 or some shit I'll consider that a minor victory.

Reactions: mas0764

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I think he’s a 2.5 million dollar player so 4 would be an overpayment of 1.5

It may be but sometimes you have to overpay to fill a need and balance out a roster. I think he's more a 3 mil type player with 2 cups on his resume and he fills a big hole on this team. We have plenty of cap space and saved some $$ with Howden gone and one of Blackwell or Gauthier grabbed by Seattle. I'm not advocating just throwing money at anybody but in this case an overpayment may be justified. This isn't the end of changes to this team and I trust Drury as he has been pretty solid so far.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I like Goodrow because he can enter the top 9 and actually diversify the way top lines play.

Putting fighters on the 4th line while the top 9 continues doing nothing but spinning between-the-legs backhand passes isn't changing anything.

Not having David Quinn's ingenious "idk just play hard" forechecking scheme helps a lot, but a weapon like Goodrow allows us to adapt whatever line he's on to the opponent.

One thing about Tampa that we can and should copy is that they go from the Harlem Globetrotters to the Spanish National Soccer Team over night depending on how their series is going.

The Rangers had the talent to win the Cup in 2014 and 2015. They just didn't have the versatility in a series. Likewise, this team is very good on paper right now and they just need to work on specific things.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I’ll just make a guess as to what the final deal will be.

6y/3.3AAV with a 15 team no move list for the duration, maybe shifting to 10 teams in the final 2 seasons.

Giving no move clauses to bottom 6 players is cray.

But if it helps drive down the price, then whatevs. They'd have an easier time voodoo'ing their way out of that contract then they will Kreider's.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I’m really hoping it comes in under, and of course throwing the AAV out there without the term is a bit hard to judge, but if that’s what it comes down to, then yes. I think it’s that important to add a guy who a) plays his game and b) is a recent (2x) cup winner.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYRangers16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad