• Yes

Votes: 45 54.9%
  • No

Votes: 37 45.1%

• Total voters

jvcjdudu jcycyxjene

Nov 11, 2014
Denver
I know this has been discussed ad nauseam but after the first few games Duchene has looked really good, and it's made me wonder if it's still a good move to trade him. He's developed a lot of chemistry with Yak, and he seems happier than he was even at the start of the season (winning does that). But in your opinion, is it necessary to trade him if he continues to play so well?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Nothing has changed. I'm happy Avs are off to a good start because it's easier on everyone but easier on Duchene in particular, but Avs and Duchene has to move on. He's not going to re-sign here and Avs need to trade him.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
The value is there, do it. And if it isn't then let him continue to play the way he is and build his value. It's a win for both us and him.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Yes trade him while he's hot. The guy wants out, can't really force him to stay, he'll just become miserable again. It will hurt our current team a lot, no matter who comes back our way in the trade, but you still gotta do it if a good enough offer comes up.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
5 games isn't going to change a GM's mind. If something is there at the deadline - do it, if not, don't.

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
I posted the same in the GDT - it's hard for me to envision Duchene signing another contract with the Avs. That being the case - yes, you have to trade him.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
It seems like that now he is playing like a true professional hockey player who didn't got drafted by his favourite NHL team growing up. A big burden has been lifted from his shoulders and now he can play under normal pressure from himself knowing that he doesn't need to carry the team on his back all the time.

There is no need to just trade him. If the price is right then he should be traded but Sakic should hold on to his demands.

Reactions: MacBradley

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Blue chip LHD or bust. The better he plays, the better our hand gets. I'd love to keep him, but he's the best piece we have to get that missing element on our D. Unless Bigras or Zadorov really becomes that guy internally, in which case let him have as much fun as possible and try to get an extension out of him. Time heals all wounds, and there's a lot of time left before he walks.

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
Only if we get a offer we can't refuse. He is still our best forward I understand his frustration and wanting out after so much losing. Sakic seem to want to keep him so if we keep winning I'm sure Duchene will think about a extension he wants results before he commits. Our D has looked miles better so far and Makar is in waitin no stress to trade for D right now especially if Mackinnon is out.

Reactions: MacBradley

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Sorry...The AVs should have traded Duchene and kept ROR. Since that is water under the bridge I think the they should keep Duchene and trade MacKinnon. Mileage will very but I simply don't buy into the idea that Nate is better than Matt. I also think Nate would return more on the market. Just my two cents.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Sorry...The AVs should have traded Duchene and kept ROR. Since that is water under the bridge I think the they should keep Duchene and trade MacKinnon. Mileage will very but I simply don't buy into the idea that Nate is better than Matt. I also think Nate would return more on the market. Just my two cents.

ROR put his salary over the team. I'm happy he is gone. Duchene over ROR was no brainer. Duchene loved this place, ROR never.

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
If he'll sign an extension then I have no problem with the Avs keeping him. They absolutely cannot afford to pull another Stastny, though.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Its also called selling high.

Our management should have a good idea how (un)likely it is that Duchene will ever sign another contract with the Avs.

If the bridges are burned as badly as I expect them to be unfortunately, the time to trade him is probably in the near future whilst he still has close to 2 years left on his contract and while he and the team are rolling...

Who knows how this thing will go with the Avs. We have had a very easy schedule so far (mainly thanks to opposing teams injury troubles).

The best time to trade a player you know you will lose in the near future is at a time where you really don't want to trade them because that is when their value is at their peaks probably...

If the Avs slow down and start losing, Duchenes game might go south given that he still has not been traded even after he did everything he could to improve his value.
That won't be nice and will probably depreciate his value.

We might have to wait another month or two for teams to figure things out and GMs probably don't like to overreact to the first 10 games (rightfully so).
But if he hopefully can keep up his play until then, we absolutely should pull the trigger.

Friedmans recent quip about the Avs apparantely having to start scouting prospects around the league more heavily recently is an encouraging sign in that regard...

Seems like Sakic is getting more realistic when it comes to the potential return...

Friedman:

“I get the sense that what is going on here is that I think they’re going to hold him for a bit – I mean, famous last words, I’ll hang up and he gets traded – but I think they’re going to hold him for a bit. But what I think they’re going to do is they’re going to do some pretty heavy scouting of team prospects. I think it’s possible now that teams may not want to give some stuff up off their roster, so I think what they could be doing is looking at some guys who may be in juniors or the NCAA or the minors. Guys who are legit prospects, but simply aren’t ready yet or aren’t at the NHL level yet. And that takes time. I did get some indication this week that that could be happening.”

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It's hard to say right now. The Avs are playing good hockey and seem to develop good chemistry. If you trade Duchene now it might ruin that chemistry, and we saw what happened when they broke up the team which had ROR and Stastny, it ruined the team's chemistry.

So i don't think they should trade Duchene as long as the team is playing this way, but if they start losing like last year, then yes, they should trade him. Right now i'd say keep it the way it is, everyone seem to enjoying playing for one another.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
If a team comes with an offer that meets our needs, move him.

But don't move him for the sake of moving him.
This. But the end game should be moving him.

I think a likely scenario is he plays the whole year with the Avs. If he has a great season, it would be amazing. Teams could work out an extension in the summer with him, and it would lower the "he will bolt to free agency" narrative.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I said no simply due to the word now. Wait a bit, let other teams struggle, etc. Let Duchene play to his ability and quiet the bargain hunters. When the fair trade value offers start coming in....then think about trading him.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Of course not, why breaking up a good team chemistry, he is producing, we can't live in the past.

He is not the second coming of Forsberg like some people may have hoped for but still a great player when playing with self confidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: GBoeklen32

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I voted yes, but it won't happen. I think he stays the year and is traded at the 2018 draft with an extension done for the buyer.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
If his play keeps up and the team is doing alright, talk to him about an extension at the end of the season. If he doesn't want to sign one then you trade him at the draft.

Reactions: SuperJoe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad