POLL: How many Lake Erie Monsters will make the CBJ opening night roster for 2016?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I wrote all over your post.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think simply being 'ready' is enough. I want them to be overripe, if anything. Handing out spots like Oprah won't do them any good. Let them season for as long as possible until there's no way to ignore them. I want them more than hungry to play in the NHL so that when they do get the shot they seize it rather than accept it as a rite of passage because they played well in the American League for one season or a few games.

Like I said, overripe is what I'm going for too. I want scoring prospects to go point-per-game. Bjorkstrand did. I want checking prospects to physically dominate and score. Anderson did. D prospects, you better control the whole flow of the game. Werenski did. You say "until there's no way to ignore them", and that moment has passed.

The one that seems most at this point is Bjorkstrand. He's a pure scorer and dominating at times - something the CBJ sorely lack. He looked very, very good to me last season. If there's a spot to be had (Hartnell), he's one I want to see in the NHL.

Even if we keep Hartnell, there's two top 9 scoring winger jobs to be had for a rookie. You just have to be better than Calvert, which would push him down to the 4th line. If you can do that, the job is yours.

I'm sure Werenski will get a hard look because of his play but the NHL is a different beast so we'll see how camp and preseason goes.

That's true for all of them. I'm not suggesting you tell them to buy a house before camp starts!

Those are the two I think of when I picked '2' as my answer. From a roster perspective, I don't really see it being more than that at the beginning of the season. Though we always want to jettison the old guys here, I think we forget the value of a tried and true NHLer to a team. Funny how we're so quick to want to give spots to these kids, but in years past the board was collectively incensed that guys like Prospal, Letestu and MacKenzie weren't retained. It seems to me that the shift has now went too far the other way and we want to do things like trade Bob because Korpi had a good 30 games or so.

I wasn't pushing that. I'm not saying trade away the vets, throw away the key, and burn the insurance policy. You can keep the insurance policy and demote them when you want to.

Other thoughts on readiness:

I think Chaput is ready, but as a #3/4 C it really doesn't matter with Campbell still here. I wish he had just replaced Letestu, but management thought differently.

Chaput is like if Campbell was bigger and faster but had even worse hands and hockey sense. Not much of an upgrade if any. And the fact that we have so many other rookie forwards likely means that he has zero chance.

I like where Anderson is and hope he bangs the door down soon.

He is! This is what banging the door down is!

Milano and Rychel need some work. Heatherington seems very slow. Falk is the yo-yo, capable to fill in when needed but seems like he'll live life on the fringe of the NHL for now. Kukan, I don't see what others see there.

I agree with all of this, though I'd add that Rychel might just need a new team, and Kukan looks great to me. No question in my mind that he was better than our bottom pair guys. No need to hurry any of this group though.

The goalies played fantastic in the A and Korpi had a great run up here, but I don't know that I think he's ready to sit for 50-60 games a year and open the door for folks on the bench. I think he needs to play until he can be a 1B with Bob. I think people forget how good Bob can be. Forsberg has looked awful in most of his NHL starts...hopefully the confidence of this run bleeds into next season. I don't want to chalk up an L every time Bob needs to sit half of a back to back any more than any of you, so I want McE out too, but I don't think sabotaging the development of these kids is worth it. I'd rather see them play a lot of games for another year or two.

They can rotate as the LE starter and Bob-backup. Or if our prospect/backup starts 30 games I think that's a good amount of starts for a developing goalie. There are development leagues that don't even have that many games in the season! 30 games a year as backup is basically called the "Cory Schneider development model".

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I'm saying 3, Bjorkstrand, Anderson and Werenski. I would say more, however I think some of the other candidates(Rychel/Milano) end up as part of trades in the off-season to improve the team.

I'd rather have them in the AHL. I think it is important to continue to have Lake Erie be good and have good players who can come up when we need them. Trade the older players when they become too expensive and replace them with younger/cheaper guys. That is one reason I wish we didn't sign so many guys for so long. I don't mind the money we pay guys, but we give way too much term to them.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Does anyone know what's up with Sedlak? I know we re-signed him, but at 23 and with 3 years of pro experience he's not waiver exempt, correct? Does that mean that he'd have to pass through waivers if he doesn't make the Jackets out of camp?

To my mind that takes away all considerations of "overripening" guys and makes it a pure battle. Who's better, Campbell or Sedlak? If Campbell is buried we save the equivalence of Sedlak's contract, so it's a wash in salary terms.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'll say 2 are fairly certain. Bjorkstrand & Werenski although if Tyutin isn't gone Werenski could be a numbers victim.

Much depends on trades, buyouts or demotions and the cap.

If C-Mac, Boll, Campbell, Tyutin and Hartnell are all deemed persona non grata then its either 6 or 7 depending on if our draft pick is ready.

The only guy who loss would hurt next year is Hartnell but his cap hit is a big reason he should go.

I'll go with 4 or more in hopes that JD/JK & Co. jettison the dead wood and decide that the kids are all right.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Does anyone know what's up with Sedlak? I know we re-signed him, but at 23 and with 3 years of pro experience he's not waiver exempt, correct? Does that mean that he'd have to pass through waivers if he doesn't make the Jackets out of camp?

To my mind that takes away all considerations of "overripening" guys and makes it a pure battle. Who's better, Campbell or Sedlak? If Campbell is buried we save the equivalence of Sedlak's contract, so it's a wash in salary terms.

If he's not exempt then yes. The good news is he has been pretty much under the radar until recently and my guess is he would clear.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Werenerski is a lock unless he flops in camp.
Bjork between what he showed at the end and the playoffs I think is good.
I still hope one of the two goalies is here as well.

So I took 3.

If we didn't have so many guys locked up on 4th line it could easily be 4-5 but just no room to put them.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
If any of them do make the CBJ, lets hope its due to performance, not injury. Having this depth is critical to the growth of the organization. JD and Jarmo are building a solid foundation. I think most of these guys will see PT, at some point, w CBJ next season.

Bjorkstrand
Werenski
Korpisalo (great to see Forsberg step up)
Rychel
Anderson
Kukan
Zaar (his defensive game is good)
Heineken brew

Milano, Heatherington, Paliotta, Forsberg are close, but 2017 looks more realistic

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
Bjork and Zach. Zach is our Doughty and future franchise D ( I am waiting his jersey :))
Korpi and Forsberg, I hope we trade Bob this summer
Milano little Gaborik 2017.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I like Sedlak & Milano a great deal.. they both get after it and get in the action.. they can both be up at some point next year, not likely to start the season in Cbus, but they will get there - skill.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If any of them do make the CBJ, lets hope its due to performance, not injury. Having this depth is critical to the growth of the organization. JD and Jarmo are building a solid foundation. I think most of these guys will see PT, at some point, w CBJ next season.

Bjorkstrand
Werenski
Korpisalo (great to see Forsberg step up)
Rychel
Anderson
Kukan
Zaar (his defensive game is good)
Heineken brew

Milano, Heatherington, Paliotta, Forsberg are close, but 2017 looks more realistic

Depth is good if the guys at the NHL level are all good. That is not the case here. If the team doesn't add any of these prospects other than Bjorkstrand (to fill Bourque's spot) do we really expect the team to be a whole lot better than last year? Give Torts a 4-4 start and that's about the improvement I'd expect.

I'd just as soon let the young guns play a full season in the NHL rather than have them re-conquer the A. Who knows, maybe we have guys like Gaudreau, Monahan or Larkin just waiting to break out.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
I'm going on the high side with FOUR. Bjorkstrand is a lock (2nd winger), Werenski (D), Anderson (4th winger) and either Sedlak (4th center), Korpisalo (G) or Forsberg (G). For that to happen, Hartnell, Tyutin, Boll and either Campbell or MacElhinney would all have to be jettisoned.

What about Kukan? I see the current defense bubble three as Gobulef, Tyutin, Johnson in particular order. Thinking Johnson gets a pass because of his experience. and Prout stays because he brings Physical side to the D. If Kukan stays in the A, Gobulef slides into that 7th spot. Of course all of this assumes we can make Tyutin go away.

D-pairs
Murray-Jones
Werenski-Johnson
Savard - Prout

Kukan

major major

Feb 18, 2013
What about Kukan? I see the current defense bubble three as Gobulef, Tyutin, Johnson in particular order. Thinking Johnson gets a pass because of his experience. and Prout stays because he brings Physical side to the D. If Kukan stays in the A, Gobulef slides into that 7th spot. Of course all of this assumes we can make Tyutin go away.

D-pairs
Murray-Jones
Werenski-Johnson
Savard - Prout

Kukan

You got to get the sides right.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
I think it's 3: Bjorkstrand, Werenski, and one of the goalies. Anderson could too, but I think with some of the terribad contracts we have floating around on that 4th line, we'll have to wait for him.

I still dream of Calvert-Karlsson-Anderson as a legitimate 4th line.

As for Sonny, I loved how he seemed to embrace playing a defensive role for LEM, especially with how he used his speed to actually backcheck. That being said, I don't think he's even close to read for the NHL game. Let him be a creator with Tynan and Rychel next year and see what he does.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I've seen some discussion about having too many rookies in an already young lineup and how that isn't desirable. However, I look at how we were unable to roll 4 lines last year because the bottom 6 was brutal at times. Certainly the 4th line was a train wreck. I would venture to say that a 4th line of Anderson, Karlsson and Calvert would be a step up. I would also put Sedlak as a darkhorse for the 4th line or extra forward.

I will say it might be adventure to have Bjork, Pulja (if drafted) and Anderson as the 2-4 RW. That's not ideal...

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I voted 3 altogether.. I don't think we will clear enough people to fit 4 or more NHL rookies here. Puljujarvi doesn't even count as a Lake Erie Monster either.

1. Bjorkstrand
2. Zach Werenski
3. Not for sure who.. But, I figured between Rychel/Anderson and Korpi/Forsberg that one of those will make the roster due to injury (Korpi/Forsberg) or forcing themselves on the team (Anderson, Rychel).

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I will say it might be adventure to have Bjork, Pulja (if drafted) and Anderson as the 2-4 RW. That's not ideal...

I agree, but I'm not particularly worried about it because all those guys will play very different roles. And it's not as if we don't have other guys who can play RW if we have to send a rookie down.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Bjork for sure; Werenski most likely; Korpisalo (or Forsberg) undoubtedly; Anderson maybe. So setting the Over/Under at 3.5...I'll take the 3.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
You got to get the sides right.

You beat me to it.

D-pairs
Murray-Jones
Werenski-Johnson
Savard - Prout

Kukan
My personal preference is to sit Prout, except for when a little extra heaviness is needed, and play Kukan. I didn't include Kukan because I don't think the org agrees with my assessment.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's hard to work in Kukan as long as both JJ and Tyutin are here, because they're all LHD in addition to Murray and Werenski. I don't know his game that well but usually you wouldn't want a rookie LHD playing on the right side unless he's one of those rare D-men who are better on their opposite side.

My personal preference is to trade JJ for space/value and run:

Murray - Jones
Werenski - Savard
Kukan - Goloubef
Tyutin

And while I'm dreaming, we trade Prout too.

I suspect though, that in reality JJ will be kept to be prudent and Prout will be kept because someone can't judge talent and doesn't realize he could be a boat anchor for Werenski.

Murray - Jones
JJ - Savard
Werenski - Prout
Goloubef

Tyutin bought out.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Bjorkstrand and Werenski are damn near locks.

McElhinney is done, so pencil in one of Korpisalo/Forsberg.

I figure one other guy will surprise and make it, perhaps made possible by moving out Hartnell and/or Tyutin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad