POLL: How many Lake Erie Monsters will make the CBJ opening night roster for 2016?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Bjorkstrand, Anderson, and Werenski I would be shocked if they don't make the 23 man roster. Rychel, I'm not sure about. If Puljujarvi is ready he could get leapt.

Sedlak and Kukan I'm not sure about. I think Kukan stays down but they'll keep Sedlak as a depth forward.

I voted 4. Bjorkstrand, Anderson, and Werenski, and Sedlak.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
agree w/ this

Bjorks recent breakaway showed so much speed, & he has hockey IQ presence

Werenski is very smooth

could also see one of Korp or Forsberg getting a shot to play 20 - 25 games next season as Bobs backup

**** I forgot about the goalies. Make it 5 Monsters for me.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'm going on the high side with FOUR. Bjorkstrand is a lock (2nd winger), Werenski (D), Anderson (4th winger) and either Sedlak (4th center), Korpisalo (G) or Forsberg (G). For that to happen, Hartnell, Tyutin, Boll and either Campbell or MacElhinney would all have to be jettisoned.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I like what's happening in Cleveland as much as anyone, but I don't think more than a couple of these guys are ready to be full time NHLers.

Maybe it's just me, but I want these guys more than just 'ready' to play in the NHL when it's time to make the jump. I want them to excel and I don't see that for more than a couple guys (on opening night).

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I like what's happening in Cleveland as much as anyone, but I don't think more than a couple of these guys are ready to be full time NHLers.

Maybe it's just me, but I want these guys more than just 'ready' to play in the NHL when it's time to make the jump. I want them to excel and I don't see that for more than a couple guys (on opening night).

That's my criteria, and I come up with 5 guys. Who do you think is ready and not ready?

No chance for Milano?.. nobody has mentioned him

He's not one of the top 5 forwards for Lake Erie. And not close for NHL readiness, IMO.

CBJorBust

Sep 27, 2006
I don't think Milano is ready yet... I mean where is he going to play? Better he plays top line minutes in the minors and develops.

Anderson should be in the lineup over boll. Bjork takes Hartnels spot if he is traded. Rychel over Clarkson.

Make it happen.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
That's my criteria, and I come up with 5 guys. Who do you think is ready and not ready?

He's not one of the top 5 forwards for Lake Erie. And not close for NHL readiness, IMO.

Oh ok.. honesrly didn't follow much of Lake Erie this season... but I remember at end of NHL season the line of milano / saad/ wenberg seemed to have really clicked. Thought maybe they would try it out again

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Oh ok.. honesrly didn't follow much of Lake Erie this season... but I remember at end of NHL season the line of milano / saad/ wenberg seemed to have really clicked. Thought maybe they would try it out again

Yeah, but we got a lot of guys who would look great with Saad and Wennberg. I thought Milano was surprisingly good in that callup but he has a lot to work on. He needs to get stronger on his skates and cut down on dumb possession wasting plays. We have some guys down there who are finished products and are much further along.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Yeah, but we got a lot of guys who would look great with Saad and Wennberg. I thought Milano was surprisingly good in that callup but he has a lot to work on. He needs to get stronger on his skates and cut down on dumb possession wasting plays. We have some guys down there who are finished products and are much further along.

Sounds good.. thanks for the info!.. was wondering how sonny was progressing

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I'm saying 3, Bjorkstrand, Anderson and Werenski. I would say more, however I think some of the other candidates(Rychel/Milano) end up as part of trades in the off-season to improve the team.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

I don't know how they keep both of those goalies down in Cleveland.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think simply being 'ready' is enough. I want them to be overripe, if anything. Handing out spots like Oprah won't do them any good. Let them season for as long as possible until there's no way to ignore them. I want them more than hungry to play in the NHL so that when they do get the shot they seize it rather than accept it as a rite of passage because they played well in the American League for one season or a few games.

The one that seems most at this point is Bjorkstrand. He's a pure scorer and dominating at times - something the CBJ sorely lack. He looked very, very good to me last season. If there's a spot to be had (Hartnell), he's one I want to see in the NHL.

I'm sure Werenski will get a hard look because of his play but the NHL is a different beast so we'll see how camp and preseason goes.

Those are the two I think of when I picked '2' as my answer. From a roster perspective, I don't really see it being more than that at the beginning of the season. Though we always want to jettison the old guys here, I think we forget the value of a tried and true NHLer to a team. Funny how we're so quick to want to give spots to these kids, but in years past the board was collectively incensed that guys like Prospal, Letestu and MacKenzie weren't retained. It seems to me that the shift has now went too far the other way and we want to do things like trade Bob because Korpi had a good 30 games or so.

Other thoughts on readiness:

I think Chaput is ready, but as a #3/4 C it really doesn't matter with Campbell still here. I wish he had just replaced Letestu, but management thought differently.

I like where Anderson is and hope he bangs the door down soon.

Milano and Rychel need some work. Heatherington seems very slow. Falk is the yo-yo, capable to fill in when needed but seems like he'll live life on the fringe of the NHL for now. Kukan, I don't see what others see there.

The goalies played fantastic in the A and Korpi had a great run up here, but I don't know that I think he's ready to sit for 50-60 games a year and open the door for folks on the bench. I think he needs to play until he can be a 1B with Bob. I think people forget how good Bob can be. Forsberg has looked awful in most of his NHL starts...hopefully the confidence of this run bleeds into next season. I don't want to chalk up an L every time Bob needs to sit half of a back to back any more than any of you, so I want McE out too, but I don't think sabotaging the development of these kids is worth it. I'd rather see them play a lot of games for another year or two.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
3. Anderson, bjorkstrand and Werenski. All showed through the playoffs they were at a next level. I've gained a new love for bjorkstrand and Anderson these past monthes.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

They are more than ready. Bjorkstrand, Werenski, and Anderson are ready. We have another 4 or 5 guys who are really close to being ready. They could all play in the NHL full time next year, but there is no reason to do it. Plus, there isn't any room for all of them.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

I don't think he is ready, but I think he would be better in the NHL on a very skilled/fast line. The problem is, he has to be on the absolute right line and there isn't any room for him right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad