Poll: How is everyone feeling about Derek Lalonde?

What are you current feelings on Derek Lalonde as the Red Wings coach?

• He's doing fine, I'm happy with his performance to date

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • Not thrilled with his performance, but think he can eventually get the job done

Votes: 39 22.9%
  • I'm starting to become skeptical that he can get the job done

Votes: 55 32.4%
  • I'm not impressed at all

Votes: 44 25.9%

• Total voters

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
the team are pretty much where i expected them to be. would have been surprised (and still will be!) if they made the playoffs. clear growth, etc, etc....but also clearly some things that need to be improved. neither pleased nor displeased with Lalonde, really.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm in between the 2nd and 3rd options. Next year will be huge for Lalonde and Yzerman as well. Coach works with pieces the GM provides.
At the rate this club is going we could have a shot at winning the draft lottery by the end of next season.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Listening to Sirius XM NHL Radio this morning with guest Jeff Marek…Apparently the talk is if Detroit doesn’t make the playoffs this season there’s a possibility that Lalonde could get fired…Trading for DeBrincat and signing Kane had Yzerman thinking this group was ready for some April in the D.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS

Listening to Sirius XM NHL Radio this morning with guest Jeff Marek…Apparently the talk is if Detroit doesn’t make the playoffs this season there’s a possibility that Lalonde could get fired…Trading for DeBrincat and signing Kane had Yzerman thinking this group was ready for some April in the D.
This is the buzz...for what it is worth...

Reactions: FMichael

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The amazing thing about this is, most wouldn’t agree w this. You are spot on. Solid hockey minds, people who coach and play regularly, involved with tier 1 talent, etc., understand this. There’s a lot of cons to this team than pros.

Here’s to hoping they miss the playoffs, Yzerman takes a deep look into some of the top players and does something he did in TB by making a big trade, no one saw coming.

What the Red Wings have right now, isn’t it. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to comprehend this.
The hilarious thing about this is every single hockey mind that is an actual hockey mind in front offices would disagree with you wholeheartedly that it would be better to miss the playoffs than to make them at this point where we are at.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002

This is the buzz...for what it is worth...
I wouldn't be surprised if he were replaced. This team is flawed for sure, but the coaching should be able to help prevent 1-9 stretches. Should have them using better defensive structure. Should know to use a freakin time out once in awhile. A coach should be able to identify when a goalie isn't playing well, or a line doesn't have chemistry. I don't feel like Lalonde has done a great job with any of that this year.

This team is wayyyyy to reliant on momentum for good vs bad games. They are riding either the highest of highs or lowest of lows. This isn't a team filled with sub 25 year old players. Veteran teams should be more consistent, and really outside of Mo, Ray, and now Ed they are a vet team.

I get that losing Larkin realllly hurts this team, but we should be able to figure out how to go at least .500 when he is out. Even if its playing 1-3-1 and just trying to grind teams out.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
An NHL source is telling Hockey Now that the possibility of a coaching change is something that is being pondered by Detroit Red Wings GM Steve Yzerman.

According to the source, Yzerman might be considering a change in his coach in the offseason were the Red Wings to continue their free fall out of a Stanley Cup playoff position. And if that is indeed the route he decides to take, the man at the top of the list of desirable candidates on Yzerman’s short list would be former St. Louis Blues coach Craig Berube.
Another NHL source was telling Hockey Now that on Friday, Yzerman read the riot act to his coaching staff and players regarding their lackluster performance of late. They followed that up by blowing a third-period lead in a 3-2 shootout loss at Florida. Currently 0-2-2 on a season-high five-game road trip, Detroit completes the journey on Monday at Tampa Bay.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

I think missing the playoffs will be more on Yzerman than Lalonde. He didn't make any moves to improve the defense at the TDL like he should have. And it was Yzerman who gambled on Reimer/Husso. I can't even imagine how bad we'd be if Lyon didn't steal the starter job.

Reactions: Realgud

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
The hilarious thing about this is every single hockey mind that is an actual hockey mind in front offices would disagree with you wholeheartedly that it would be better to miss the playoffs than to make them at this point where we are at.
Guy constantly whines and cries about how bad he perceives the Wings to be, and then he trolls people who aren't whining and crying as much as him. We need a diaper trophy to award on this forum or something.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Guy constantly whines and cries about how bad he perceives the Wings to be, and then he trolls people who aren't whining and crying as much as him. We need a diaper trophy to award on this forum or something.
I prefer this type of trophy...I must admit - I'd likely get 'honorable mention' a few times over the years with some of my takes...

1712009703897.png

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
We know its fake because Yzerman leaks nothing.
I assumed April Fools Day trash, but someone brought up what they heard on the radio...I assumed this was the source of the radio discussion, because you are correct, SY will not let anything like that get out.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Ooo, I could modify

View attachment 845086

And Newsy has to stay. I didn't make this fer nuthin'.
View attachment 845088
Unfortunately, the traitor warmaster Berubus slew Lalondius. But at least he had his soul obliterated by The Emperor of Wingkind, who is now interred upon Stanley's Throne, unable to heal because he is forever spending his psychic energy keeping Detroit's cup window open.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Unfortunately, the traitor warmaster Berubus slew Lalondius. But at least he had his soul obliterated by The Emperor of Wingkind, who is now interred upon Stanley's Throne, unable to heal because he is forever spending his psychic energy keeping Detroit's cup window open.
HAH!

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So basically he can strategize and make adjustments if he studies a coach and players every day for 4 years. So in 100 years or so he'll be able to beat the other coaches in the league.

I loved seeing Blashill whispering on Cooper's ear. And then, after few minutes, they lost the game. :P

Reactions: dalem177

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think missing the playoffs will be more on Yzerman than Lalonde. He didn't make any moves to improve the defense at the TDL like he should have. And it was Yzerman who gambled on Reimer/Husso. I can't even imagine how bad we'd be if Lyon didn't steal the starter job.

Reimer has basically the same stats as Lyon, even with Lyon's hot streak. Not taking anything away from Lyon as without him we likely are out of the playoffs by a lot, but Reimer has been fine outside that 4-5 game stretch where he let 4 or more in that stretch. .906 from a backup goalie, especially this season is pretty good, especially with our shitty defence and team effort a lot of nights. Weird how Lyon at .907 gets put into such a different tier of goalie on here, just because most like his style better.

With regards to Berube, I don't get the love, as while winning a Cup his first season in St. Louis on the back of hot goaltending from Binnington, he missed the playoffs last season and was going to again this season with a team that should easily be in the playoffs.

I also don't get why Yzerman wants to follow Armstrong's view of building, as outside that 1 Cup, St. Louis is always one of those teams that should be better than they are, and are never really a consistent threat. Walman and Fabbri are the only Blues of note we have kept, from them. Nice pickups for sure, especially for the price, but not game changers at all.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm still calling after the Boston model, that goalies should play 50/50, split it equal, every second game. That will keep both in game shape, but controls also the game wear.

Lyon and Reimer are quite equal on season data so far.

I could maybe say, that Reimer has had tougher quality of starts, based on the xG against.

1712140275246.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad