Poll: How is everyone feeling about Derek Lalonde?

What are you current feelings on Derek Lalonde as the Red Wings coach?

• He's doing fine, I'm happy with his performance to date

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • Not thrilled with his performance, but think he can eventually get the job done

Votes: 39 22.9%
  • I'm starting to become skeptical that he can get the job done

Votes: 55 32.4%
  • I'm not impressed at all

Votes: 44 25.9%

• Total voters

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
And over time, the novelty of Torts will wear off and they will play to the level of their collective talent. If this did not invariably happen, Torts would never get fired.
That’s fine. Coaches have a lifespan. The difference is that the red wings aren’t playing to the level of their collective talent either. So what reason is there to have Lalonde if he literally does nothing, and at best is having the roster underperform?

Reactions: Gniwder

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
So for half of these... just you know, do the opposite of what he did. Regardless of the fact that we lost a 1-0 game against the hottest team in hockey and were a hideous pass from Debrincat from winning a couple nights ago.

This is what Bench is pointing at. Whatever the coach did when we lost... well, that was stupid, he should have done the other thing. Not starting Reimer when he was "hot" and now "oh, Lyon should be playing because Reimer's no good!"

I also don't agree at all on this. Copp made a really stupid play that led to a goal that the Wings couldn't afford to give up.

Even Copp would agree it was a bad play on his part. That isn't the point. Calling him out on it, is the point.

Petry was 2n to Larkin in TOI against the Canes.

That is beond fathomable for most of us who have watched Petry all season.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
How the absolute hell is anyone saying his systems are good when we are one of the worst teams at scoring at 5 on 5 and are on pace to regress defensively from last year with a lot better of a roster? Baffling. The team plays with 0 structure half of the time. The team has one of the worst records in the league when they score under 4 goals, they can only win when they shoot an unsustainable shooting percentage and if they don’t get that it’s very ugly. They are regularly outshot and our chanced, and our advanced analytics are not good. Looking at the roster the team isn’t that good but our analytics should not be nearly as bad as they are, especially for 5 on 5. that obviously reflects coaching.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Anyone know how long his contract is? Kinda thinking he's gone if the team doesn't make the playoffs next season. He certainly hasn't earned an extension so far.

Reactions: 14ari13

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Coaches are grossly overrated at the professional level. Outside of football, they are largely just psychologists. They really only start to have comparatively more value when they are coaching really competitive teams where it is difficult to get better and improvements are incremental.

100% truth; on a macro level the impact of coaching is quite small. Nobody can reasonably expect them to be a top team until they have something resembling a top roster.

And yet, I hate what I'm seeing from this guy. The team is constantly flat and/or unprepared for important games. In-game adjustments are nonexistent. Can't stop the bleeding when things are getting out of hand. I'm not sure I have ever seen such a Jekyll and Hyde team, they're either filling the net with 5+ goals or they're so bad they look like they're in the wrong league and should be relegated, yet rarely in between (which is admittedly kind of fascinating, but doesn't speak well for coaching or leadership). Most importantly, I still think this is the worst defensive team I've ever watched, and certainly for an edition that fancies itself a defensive team. Back in the day they accepted that they were running and gunning, whereas it's totally baffling to me to have your defensemen constantly pinching whether it makes any sense or not, giving up a boatload of odd man rushes in turn (because how would you not?), and still imagining that you're running some tight defensive system.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
How the absolute hell is anyone saying his systems are good when we are one of the worst teams at scoring at 5 on 5 and are on pace to regress defensively from last year with a lot better of a roster? Baffling. The team plays with 0 structure half of the time. The team has one of the worst records in the league when they score under 4 goals, they can only win when they shoot an unsustainable shooting percentage and if they don’t get that it’s very ugly. They are regularly outshot and our chanced, and our advanced analytics are not good. Looking at the roster the team isn’t that good but our analytics should not be nearly as bad as they are, especially for 5 on 5. that obviously reflects coaching.
There have been quite a few games where I wondered how the Wings pulled off a win considering they were outplayed and outshot…I believe much of that was Lyon having the hot glove hand at the time.

Reactions: 14ari13

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Yzerman should be blamed also. He got it right with Lyon, Maatta, Walman, Compher, Fisher and Kane. Fabbri, Sprong ,Cat and Gost were OK signings , but rest wasn't good at all. It was hard to produce something with those signings. So many new players , still we need #1 LD , #2 Center and someone good playing with Larkin and Raymond

Reactions: 14ari13 and wings95

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
There is no question this team outplayed their potential. But, it is an 82 games season and irregularities tend to work themselves out.
I don't disagree but you specifically said fall, until March this team was pretty comfortable other than a small stretch in December. Without Larkin going down and the flu bug going around the team at the worst time maybe this team would still be relatively comfortable and all the trolls wouldn't be back in the forum.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
No section of, let’s wait and see. It’s only been two seasons for the rookie coach. Let’s see what next season is like. This is far more than I expected, so.

How many superstar forwards and defensemen do we have again? This is a team that was expected to finish seventh in the division. The team was on a monster PDO bender with an unsustainable shooting percentage when it was hot, but this team was never good. Idk what to tell you all.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
What does "preparing his team" consist of exactly? No cliches. Just tell us what he should be doing differently to "prepare" his team. Every f***ing fan on earth knows when the game starts. It is pretty common knowledge published on schedule. Why grown men being paid millions of dollars need to have another grown man cup their nuts and spank them on the ass and tell them to be ready to play is beyond me. Pride alone and fear of embarrassing yourself should be incentive enough. Perhaps we need more internally motivated players.

For the record our inability to start on time dates back to the final years of Pav and Z. We have seen it through three head coaches and god knows how many assistants.

If Yzerman thinks the team has tunned him out, let him go and find someone new. Expecting materially different results, however, is extremely foolish given it is the players who play the game.
How am I supposed to say what he should be doing differently if I have no way of knowing what he's currently doing? You seem to think it's pretty well all on the players, so what do you think a coach does exactly? Because if you don't think that motivating and focusing the team is a part of their duties, then you have a fundamental lack of understanding of what a coach does. A coach sets the tone for a team, focuses the team towards a collective goal, and helps motivate the players, individually and as a team, towards that goal. Go watch any behind the scenes NHL series (24/7 series following the Caps and Penguins is a good option) and you'll see how much the coaches are involved in those aspects of things.

And no, while every team has a slow start on occasion, including previous Wings rosters, this season has gone beyond what we've seen in the recent past. And in case you didn't notice, those Wings teams since Zetterberg retired have been universally awful. They weren't slow starters, they were just bad in all 3 periods. This year is different, they've shown what they're capable of and have turned it on in the 2nd and 3rd periods on many occasions. That's why they're at the top of the league for comeback wins. The problem is they have so many comeback wins because they dig themselves into a hole at the starts of games even more often.

If it was as simple as the players being paid professionals and showing up and doing their jobs then this wouldn't be a problem. Or are you suggesting the Wings, out of a 700+ player league, just happen to have a collection of players that don't start on time, but for some reason decide to collectively turn it on later? Because that would be an incredible coincidence.

They've shown they can be better, this has been a consistent problem all season, and Lalonde has not been able to come up with a way to extract the kinds of performances in the 1st period that we know they're capable of. That's on him just as much, if not more, than the players.

Reactions: DamonDRW

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
There have been quite a few games where I wondered how the Wings pulled off a win considering they were outplayed and outshot…I believe much of that was Lyon having the hot glove hand at the time.
Lyon pulled us up 5-10 points, Lalonde pulled us down 5-10 points. Without Lyon we would be 12-14th in the conference.
He almost stole us the game last night.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
It sucks Husso was hurt. I think he could have put it together if healthy. We are forced to start a 3rd string goalie.

Veleno, Rasmussuen, Copp, Fabbri, Perron. Especially Veleno has been a HUGE disappointment down the stretch. He's overrated and brings nothing to the table. He should be DET official whipping boy.

The coach lost the team. The locker room is undoubtedly a wreck. Players fighting, unengaged. Having child-like tantrums out on the ice during NHL games. They're playing like a bunch of infants.

Kane is soft as butter and is playing for himself, not to win. I don't want him back. He can go fly away.

This team has no grit, no speed, no tenacity, no heart. They did when they started the season (except for speed, this team is slow AF!). This leads me to believe both poor coaching, and no leadership in the locker room.

This team needs a hard nosed structured coach. I'm sick of BS cancel culture. Bring in Quinville or Babcock.

The slip started after the rough schedule and string of key injuries. That set their fate. Coach's job is to get them out of the funk and he failed miserably.

Reactions: The Flying Octopus

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Veleno should be on the trade block. I would rather a speedy puck hound that can dig in the corners. Someone with tenacity. Like a Darren Helm.
I've said it before and @Filppula said it in the Panthers GDT. But his speed just outright vanished, he doesn't hit or really do any puck battling.

That's what bothers me about our bottom six, is they don't get on top of other teams. Czarnik is the only guy with that kind of thing, and that's not great. I do like Fischer most of the time though.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Kind of the same thing as Blash for me, with this roster it doesn't really matter who the coach is unless it's someone that excels at developing young players. When the roster has talent enough to start going for it that is when it will matter. It wouldn't even matter to me if we still had Blash.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
It sucks Husso was hurt. I think he could have put it together if healthy. We are forced to start a 3rd string goalie.

Veleno, Rasmussuen, Copp, Fabbri, Perron. Especially Veleno has been a HUGE disappointment down the stretch. He's overrated and brings nothing to the table. He should be DET official whipping boy.

The coach lost the team. The locker room is undoubtedly a wreck. Players fighting, unengaged. Having child-like tantrums out on the ice during NHL games. They're playing like a bunch of infants.

Kane is soft as butter and is playing for himself, not to win. I don't want him back. He can go fly away.

This team has no grit, no speed, no tenacity, no heart. They did when they started the season (except for speed, this team is slow AF!). This leads me to believe both poor coaching, and no leadership in the locker room.

This team needs a hard nosed structured coach. I'm sick of BS cancel culture. Bring in Quinville or Babcock.

The slip started after the rough schedule and string of key injuries. That set their fate. Coach's job is to get them out of the funk and he failed miserably.
The amazing thing about this is, most wouldn’t agree w this. You are spot on. Solid hockey minds, people who coach and play regularly, involved with tier 1 talent, etc., understand this. There’s a lot of cons to this team than pros.

Here’s to hoping they miss the playoffs, Yzerman takes a deep look into some of the top players and does something he did in TB by making a big trade, no one saw coming.

What the Red Wings have right now, isn’t it. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to comprehend this.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The amazing thing about this is, most wouldn’t agree w this. You are spot on. Solid hockey minds, people who coach and play regularly, involved with tier 1 talent, etc., understand this. There’s a lot of cons to this team than pros.

Here’s to hoping they miss the playoffs, Yzerman takes a deep look into some of the top players and does something he did in TB by making a big trade, no one saw coming.

What the Red Wings have right now, isn’t it. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to comprehend this.
Given that Yzerman wasn't very bullish on this team going into the season, I don't think he would ever claim that this team is "it."

What I chuckle most about is that this team is awfully damn close to where people thought they would be going into the season (i.e. a fringe playoff team). They are who we thought they would be and yet everyone is acting like the world is coming apart. Who would have thunk?

Reactions: odin1981

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Given that Yzerman wasn't very bullish on this team going into the season, I don't think he would ever claim that this team is "it."

What I chuckle most about is that this team is awfully damn close to where people thought they would be going into the season (i.e. a fringe playoff team). They are who we thought they would be and yet everyone is acting like the world is coming apart. Who would have thunk?

To be fair to those who became hyper-optimistic, a great start and adding Kane probably raised expectations they may have had before the first regular-season game. Every season has its unexpected ups and downs, the funny thing is the ups are in spite of Lalonde, the downs because of him. Who woulda thunk that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad