WC: Poland 2024 roster talk.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Chmielewski was not playing in wc the last season. He is listed as injured on EP. Do you have any idea how serious his injury is? He would be a massive add.
He would be a massive add if they played D1B. At Elite, he barely moves the needle.

Also while he might be injured again, it's also possible EP hasn't picked up on his return from injury a week ago and he simply got scratched in the most recent games.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
He would be a massive add if they played D1B. At Elite, he barely moves the needle.

Also while he might be injured again, it's also possible EP hasn't picked up on his return from injury a week ago and he simply got scratched in the most recent games.
he is their best player, for polish standards its a huge add

Filip Komorski is another one

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
he is their best player, for polish standards its a huge add
Both statements are debatable at this point.

It's nicer to have him than not but when evaluating the team strength the difference he makes at this level is marginal.

legionista

Jan 17, 2013
Maryland/Brooklyn
Chmielewski is healthy and now playing for HC Olomouc, theoretically he should make the team better, however last few times he didn't make much of an impact.
Will be important to have a healthy Lyszczarczyk, Walega, and even Macias from WHL to play too. Wronka, Dzubinski, Pasiut, Fraszko, and Dronia are experienced players that will be invaluable. A healthy and in form John Murray in net will make a big difference, Fucik might not get citizenship in time, and there is a pretty big gap skill wise between those two guys and anyone else.
Seems like the debacle in the OQ tournament put a damper on the mood around hockey prior to the WC, just important that going to the European playoff season nobody gets hurt stays on form with their club.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Chmielewski is healthy and now playing for HC Olomouc, theoretically he should make the team better, however last few times he didn't make much of an impact.
Will be important to have a healthy Lyszczarczyk, Walega, and even Macias from WHL to play too. Wronka, Dzubinski, Pasiut, Fraszko, and Dronia are experienced players that will be invaluable. A healthy and in form John Murray in net will make a big difference, Fucik might not get citizenship in time, and there is a pretty big gap skill wise between those two guys and anyone else.
Seems like the debacle in the OQ tournament put a damper on the mood around hockey prior to the WC, just important that going to the European playoff season nobody gets hurt stays on form with their club.
Macias might get drafted. Is Jakub Lewandowski a option?

Regarding Fucik, he played for the NT 1 game this season

legionista

Jan 17, 2013
Maryland/Brooklyn
Macias might get drafted. Is Jakub Lewandowski a option?

Regarding Fucik, he played for the NT 1 game this season
I doubt Macias will get drafted, I haven't seen his name in any of the more popular scouting and draft reports even though he's playing well for Prince Albert Raiders, but anything is possible. Lewandowski hasn't played for NT yet, last time he played for U20 NT was before Covid I think. He also hasn't played much in NCAA this season, so not sure if he's hurt or just getting scratched a lot. Either way seems like he's fallen off the PZHL radar after making the move to NCAA.

Fucik did play in an exhibition game before the OQ tournament, but since it wasn't an official IIHF game he was able to play.

legionista

Jan 17, 2013
Maryland/Brooklyn
I've heard they're going to bury Sweden's team alive in the northern swamps tbh
I actually think we'll give Sweden a good game, yes we'll lose but it won't be embarrassing.

I'm more worried about game vs USA, I think we're not prepared for the physicality they will unleash and we'll end up losing something like 10-1.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I actually think we'll give Sweden a good game, yes we'll lose but it won't be embarrassing.

I'm more worried about game vs USA, I think we're not prepared for the physicality they will unleash and we'll end up losing something like 10-1.
You're missing the joke; Eye of Ra is a Swede that constantly and overdramatically dumps on everything Swedish hockey related in order to troll and bait responses to the contrary.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

yes probaly, poland is well organized and hard working. Im expecting 4-1 to Sweden or something like that. Poland is better than people think. When it comes to USA, they are not really physical. They are more about speed and finesse these days. Im expecting them to bring many youngsters.

Poland back in WC sounds good and Lithuania next year.
For that to happen, they need prime Zubrus and Kasparatis.

legionista

Jan 17, 2013
Maryland/Brooklyn
Do they even have one NHLer? Is Wojtek Wolski still around?
Their current best player is roughly 3 tiers below the NHL.

In general, it's an interesting situation, whatever led to it, Poland is all about depth. Most D1B nations have a better best player.
I wouldn't say 3 tiers below NHL level, a few players in the Polish League which has gotten much stronger in the last few years, could easily play in the AHL. Unfortunately, for many of our players being a top tier player in a weaker league is more important than being a mid to lower tier player in a stronger league.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I wouldn't say 3 tiers below NHL level
Well there is little need to speculate. If we agree Chmielewski was the best Polish player in recent memory (pretty obvious call to make), he, at his peak, was a complimentary scorer in the Czech league. Seems pretty fair to separate tiers into:

1) NHL

2) Impact player in the European top leagues (SHL, KHL, NLA)/Star player in the 2nd tier league (Liiga, DEL, Extraliga) > Mantas Armalis
3) Solid roster player in the top leagues/Impact player in the 2nd tier league/Star player at the 3rd tier league (Austria, Slovakia) > Liam Kirk, Vilmos Gallo, Igor Merezhko, Robert Rooba
4) Fringe player in the top league/Solid roster player in the 2nd tier league/Impact player in the 3rd tier league > Aron Chmielewski, Nerijus Ališauskas

I think that's a fair evaluation with a clear separation in quality between those players. Many of them have showcased in their careers how big are the gaps between these levels, namely Gallo moving between SHL and Liiga and Rooba moving from Liiga to KHL. Same applies to the levels deeper down, like Wronka's persistent attempts to continue his career outside of Poland or numerous Poles trying to carve out any kind of role in the Czech and Slovak leagues.

Regarding the players who could easily play in the AHL, I'm really interested to know who those are. Because players who could easily play in the AHL could also easily play in the Czech league and we see the best Poles failing to make it there fairly consistently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eye of Ra

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I wouldn't say 3 tiers below NHL level, a few players in the Polish League which has gotten much stronger in the last few years, could easily play in the AHL. Unfortunately, for many of our players being a top tier player in a weaker league is more important than being a mid to lower tier player in a stronger league.
So why are there no poles in top euro leagues such as SHL, NLA, Liiga

legionista

Jan 17, 2013
Maryland/Brooklyn
Well there is little need to speculate. If we agree Chmielewski was the best Polish player in recent memory (pretty obvious call to make), he, at his peak, was a complimentary scorer in the Czech league. Seems pretty fair to separate tiers into:

1) NHL

2) Impact player in the European top leagues (SHL, KHL, NLA)/Star player in the 2nd tier league (Liiga, DEL, Extraliga) > Mantas Armalis
3) Solid roster player in the top leagues/Impact player in the 2nd tier league/Star player at the 3rd tier league (Austria, Slovakia) > Liam Kirk, Vilmos Gallo, Igor Merezhko, Robert Rooba
4) Fringe player in the top league/Solid roster player in the 2nd tier league/Impact player in the 3rd tier league > Aron Chmielewski, Nerijus Ališauskas

I think that's a fair evaluation with a clear separation in quality between those players. Many of them have showcased in their careers how big are the gaps between these levels, namely Gallo moving between SHL and Liiga and Rooba moving from Liiga to KHL. Same applies to the levels deeper down, like Wronka's persistent attempts to continue his career outside of Poland or numerous Poles trying to carve out any kind of role in the Czech and Slovak leagues.

Regarding the players who could easily play in the AHL, I'm really interested to know who those are. Because players who could easily play in the AHL could also easily play in the Czech league and we see the best Poles failing to make it there fairly consistently.
I don't really agree with all of that because it only takes into account skill level. Like I said, you have factors that come into play regarding ambition, $$$, playing closer to home, and being a king in a small kingdom, rather than a mere pawn in big rich kingdom. I also don't think Aron Chmielewski is the best Polish player playing abroad anymore, maybe a few years ago that was the case. If Chmielewski came back tot he PHL now, I doubt he'd even be top 5 in scoring.

I'm convinced a guy like Alan Lyszczarczyk could play in the AHL at the moment, he's said himself he prefers to be closer to home and the money in PHL is better than AHL level. He was injured for the much of the latter part of the season, but if he wasn't he'd clearly lead the league in points at the rate he was going prior to injury. In an interview with Hokej.net some time ago he admitted he had offers from AHL teams, but preferred at the time to play in the Czech league.

Similar story with Wronka since u brought him up, just came down to more $$$ and being a top dog in his domestic league rather than an average or sub-average player elsewhere.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I don't really agree with all of that because it only takes into account skill level. Like I said, you have factors that come into play regarding ambition, $$$, playing closer to home, and being a king in a small kingdom, rather than a mere pawn in big rich kingdom. I also don't think Aron Chmielewski is the best Polish player playing abroad anymore, maybe a few years ago that was the case. If Chmielewski came back tot he PHL now, I doubt he'd even be top 5 in scoring.

I'm convinced a guy like Alan Lyszczarczyk could play in the AHL at the moment, he's said himself he prefers to be closer to home and the money in PHL is better than AHL level. He was injured for the much of the latter part of the season, but if he wasn't he'd clearly lead the league in points at the rate he was going prior to injury. In an interview with Hokej.net some time ago he admitted he had offers from AHL teams, but preferred at the time to play in the Czech league.

Similar story with Wronka since u brought him up, just came down to more $$$ and being a top dog in his domestic league rather than an average or sub-average player elsewhere.
You might be confusing AHL with ECHL here.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00