Pokemon Go thread #4

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Re-downloaded this last week after a 2 year break, just added a bunch of you guys on the last page.

6645 1992 1622

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Re-downloaded this last week after a 2 year break, just added a bunch of you guys on the last page.

6645 1992 1622

I'm in the same boat and I'm only level 25.

I played it a bunch in University but stopped after I started working. Now that I'm working from home I've gained weight. To shed some of that I go on a few walks each day, morning, lunch and after work and play a little of the game. Still haven't challenged a gym or a raid as they seem tough relative to my CP Pokemon. Beat a few Rocket trainers. I don't really know all the ins and outs of the game, it's just something to do to keep the walk interesting.

Trainer code for anyone interested: 1850 9805 0428

I have a bunch of gifts that I need to send as part of a mission so if anyone's up for it and doesn't mind receiving a gift let me know.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007

I played it a bunch in University but stopped after I started working. Now that I'm working from home I've gained weight. To shed some of that I go on a few walks each day, morning, lunch and after work and play a little of the game. Still haven't challenged a gym or a raid as they seem tough relative to my CP Pokemon. Beat a few Rocket trainers. I don't really know all the ins and outs of the game, it's just something to do to keep the walk interesting.

I have a bunch of gifts that I need to send as part of a mission so if anyone's up for it and doesn't mind receiving a gift let me know.

6645 1992 1622
I've added you both.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I've added you both.

Thanks. I completed a few basic raids using my remote passes I've accumulated. Wasn't as bad as I thought but then again I'm a low level I think so maybe it scaled for me solo. I'll try out a gym tomorrow. When I was walking by it today it had some egg thing and I couldn't access the gym for some reason.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Thanks. I completed a few basic raids using my remote passes I've accumulated. Wasn't as bad as I thought but then again I'm a low level I think so maybe it scaled for me solo. I'll try out a gym tomorrow. When I was walking by it today it had some egg thing and I couldn't access the gym for some reason.
If there is an active raid, you won't be able to attack a gym, but that is only after the raid egg has hatched. Otherwise you should be able to, unless it was already under attack by a different team or your team has filled it with 6 Pokemon already.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
If there is an active raid, you won't be able to attack a gym, but that is only after the raid egg has hatched. Otherwise you should be able to, unless it was already under attack by a different team or your team has filled it with 6 Pokemon already.

Yeah I think it turned into an active raid on my way there and I guess all raids start out with eggs to give an hour of warning and tease people with the mystery of what it will be? Unfortunately it's been raining nonstop for second day and someone from team instinct (my team) took the gym before I could at lunch. Oh well. I'll have to hold off on my gym missions.

Managed to get level 26 but it's really a grind and my suburb is particularly scarce when it comes to gyms in particular. There are a decent amount of pokestops - probably 6-7 within a few minutes walk, I'd have to go look and count but only two gyms and one is way out of the way.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Yeah I think it turned into an active raid on my way there and I guess all raids start out with eggs to give an hour of warning and tease people with the mystery of what it will be? Unfortunately it's been raining nonstop for second day and someone from team instinct (my team) took the gym before I could at lunch. Oh well. I'll have to hold off on my gym missions.

Managed to get level 26 but it's really a grind and my suburb is particularly scarce when it comes to gyms in particular. There are a decent amount of pokestops - probably 6-7 within a few minutes walk, I'd have to go look and count but only two gyms and one is way out of the way.
Yeah, I'm lucky and live right next to a gym so I have access to it whenever I'm home. Makes it really easy to get coins and do at least 1 raid a day.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I think I might swap to red or blue team from yellow. The gym looks like it's been held all day and while the 2 gyms farther away from me are currently red, they were blue for a while before that. Maybe I'll keep track and make a decision on what team gives me the best chance to contest a gym.

I'm not sure if this is the right strategy but I'm trying to save up dust and candy as much as possible (I'll blow them to get special missions completed though) and when I learn more I'll level up a 'good' pokemon which I assume is ideal move set and stats?

Right now I'm just leveling, doing level 1 raids. I managed a level 3 raid a couple days ago where 2 other people joined me which was awesome. I wish they made it easier to know if their are local people nearby that are interested. It was raining so I wasn't out and I remoted in and I would imagine the other 2 did the same. But it's hard for me to justify gambling a remote pass on a tier 3 or 5 when I might not get any help and obviously lose.

I see a meaty 15K xp gain for participating in a battle in the "Great League" so I might look up a guide to that. I think I'll also check up a guide for getting levels, candy, dust.

Any input would be appreciated as I'm not that knowledgeable about stuff.

Edit: minutes after typing this the gym went blue. I'll hope it's still blue tomorrow morning as I'm in for night. Or maybe I'll run out tonight, get it done and run back home as it's like a 1 minute walk.

Last edited:

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I think I might swap to red or blue team from yellow. The gym looks like it's been held all day and while the 2 gyms farther away from me are currently red, they were blue for a while before that. Maybe I'll keep track and make a decision on what team gives me the best chance to contest a gym.

I'm not sure if this is the right strategy but I'm trying to save up dust and candy as much as possible (I'll blow them to get special missions completed though) and when I learn more I'll level up a 'good' pokemon which I assume is ideal move set and stats?

Right now I'm just leveling, doing level 1 raids. I managed a level 3 raid a couple days ago where 2 other people joined me which was awesome. I wish they made it easier to know if their are local people nearby that are interested. It was raining so I wasn't out and I remoted in and I would imagine the other 2 did the same. But it's hard for me to justify gambling a remote pass on a tier 3 or 5 when I might not get any help and obviously lose.

I see a meaty 15K xp gain for participating in a battle in the "Great League" so I might look up a guide to that. I think I'll also check up a guide for getting levels, candy, dust.

Any input would be appreciated as I'm not that knowledgeable about stuff.

Edit: minutes after typing this the gym went blue. I'll hope it's still blue tomorrow morning as I'm in for night. Or maybe I'll run out tonight, get it done and run back home as it's like a 1 minute walk.

Regarding the raids I suggest finding a discord server or facebook group in your area and seeing if you can join up with fellow locals. Most people who are in these groups play frequently so they'd be more than happy help out with the raids.

Reactions: Daxi

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Regarding the raids I suggest finding a discord server or facebook group in your area and seeing if you can join up with fellow locals. Most people who are in these groups play frequently so they'd be more than happy help out with the raids.
Yeah, that's where I made most of my friends in game. And leveling friendship up is a really easy way to get a lot of XP as well.

Reactions: Daxi

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Yeah, that's where I made most of my friends in game. And leveling friendship up is a really easy way to get a lot of XP as well.

Thanks. I guess I'll focus on friendship levels and finding other people in the neighborhood who play.

I'll also try to make a friend who will play me in Great League for a game as that seems like it will give me 30K exp and if I time it right it could be more with the lucky egg potentially?

I managed to capture that Gym and have held it for over 5 hours at this point. Someone even added their Dragonite which was much higher CP than me (over 3k).

Edit: I think I got a raid invite from @JohnC but it was too late by the time I noticed it on my phone. Back at home doing some stuff and then might head out again in afternoon.

Last edited:

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Thanks. I guess I'll focus on friendship levels and finding other people in the neighborhood who play.

I'll also try to make a friend who will play me in Great League for a game as that seems like it will give me 30K exp and if I time it right it could be more with the lucky egg potentially?

I managed to capture that Gym and have held it for over 5 hours at this point. Someone even added their Dragonite which was much higher CP than me (over 3k).

Edit: I think I got a raid invite from @JohnC but it was too late by the time I noticed it on my phone. Back at home doing some stuff and then might head out again in afternoon.
Another place to make friends is on the subreddit Pokemon Go Friends. A lot of people just looking to level up friendship and also some people looking to invite others to remote raids.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Another place to make friends is on the subreddit Pokemon Go Friends. A lot of people just looking to level up friendship and also some people looking to invite others to remote raids.

Yeah that subreddit seems out of my league for the most part. I think I'll try to make some local friends to raid with or just take things slow and build out a good roster of pokemon to counter raid bosses. Maybe I'll focus on fire for Genesect raids coming up or look at the next boss after that and prep for it.

I think maybe I need to sit back and catch, hatch, walk and build up a bank of start dust and a large number of Pokemon to choose from to then evolve & power up with star dust.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yeah that subreddit seems out of my league for the most part. I think I'll try to make some local friends to raid with or just take things slow and build out a good roster of pokemon to counter raid bosses. Maybe I'll focus on fire for Genesect raids coming up or look at the next boss after that and prep for it.

I think maybe I need to sit back and catch, hatch, walk and build up a bank of start dust and a large number of Pokemon to choose from to then evolve & power up with star dust.

Use the Silph Road discord map to find a group in your area. Note you'll have to look through them to find the truly active communities.

Pokemon GO Community Map - Discords & Facebook Groups | The Silph League

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY

6645 1992 1622

Added both of you.

Reactions: JohnC

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Yeah the PvP system sucks. You need tanks if you don't have the fastest power attacks.

Best type of mons for it are apparently

Ones.

Also, if you submit stops you might be confused if they're accepted, or not because people who review don't understand what's legitimate and what isn't

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Added both of you.

Sorry for delay, accepted you a couple days ago.

Yeah the PvP system sucks. You need tanks if you don't have the fastest power attacks.

Best type of mons for it are apparently

Ones.

Also, if you submit stops you might be confused if they're accepted, or not because people who review don't understand what's legitimate and what isn't

It also seems like finger mashing to me. I'm sure there's some strategy... I don't think PVP aspects in mobile games are for me personally.

Managed to snag a shiny Giratina and have two pokemon above 3K CP. Been making decent progress over last ~3-4 months.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Sorry for delay, accepted you a couple days ago.

It also seems like finger mashing to me. I'm sure there's some strategy... I don't think PVP aspects in mobile games are for me personally.

Managed to snag a shiny Giratina and have two pokemon above 3K CP. Been making decent progress over last ~3-4 months.

Were you around for Registeel raids ? He's absolute beast in the sub 1,500 one. I used Giratina a lot in the sub 2,500. Got it to 2498

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Were you around for Registeel raids ? He's absolute beast in the sub 1,500 one. I used Giratina a lot in the sub 2,500. Got it to 2498

Probably but I didn't start tier 5 raids until Genesect and got in one Mega Gengar raid before it switched to Absol.

I'm trying to build a bit of a 'stable' of raiders so I can participate in more things.

I've managed 3 Giratinas, 6+ Darkrai's at this point and I figure I'll keep my 6 best.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
A very good great league pokemon that's out in the wild right now is Swablu/Altaria. It has a lot of bulk and can beat most things that don't straight up counter it.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
@JohnC, @wingsnut19

I think I'm close to tier 3 friends with you two, did you want to coordinate at all so you can use a lucky egg and get double exp or don't care? Korvelah is tomorrow, SaffronHorsecop is in 2-3 days.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Hell yeah. I’m SaffronHorsecop.

Alright I'm not too sure how it works but I'm assuming Wednesday we should set a time up to send each other gifts (assuming we send some tomorrow to get to 1 day?) and that way we can pop lucky eggs and get 100K exp instead of 50k?

I'm CCMursaat

But maybe I'm wrong. I'll try searching tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00