Injury Report: Points % Should determine playoffs Teams.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Never mind the heading. ( I couldn’t edit to a question mark instead or the period )This is a question. How should playoff teams be determined. I think tack on points as a point percentage earned is fairest. It doesn’t have to be any more complicated than that really does it?

Points % of teams are in this link leafers. 2019-20 NHL Standings | Hockey-Reference.com

Last edited:

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Disagree. Should have a 1 game playoff and tune up for teams.
Have leafs play Panthers
Have wc#1 play team 4 (so Carolina vs ny rangers)
Then wc#2 play team 3 (so Columbus vs ny islanders)

West is more complicated so I'll let the league figure that out.

Could then have a tune up game for TB-bos
Was-phi
Have Pitts play someone

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Seeds
Leafs 94.886
Panthers 92.69 so panthers would miss the playoffs

Wildcards
Carolina 97.688
Islanders 96.464
Columbus 94.896 so columbus would miss the playoffs

Carolina and Islanders would be the wildcards and both would have more points than us but we would have the seed

Last edited:

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
Yeah I agree this is how it should be done.

(my opinion obviously has nothing to do with the fact that leafs are my team and would get in based on higher point %)

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Yeah I agree this is how it should be done.

(my opinion obviously has nothing to do with the fact that leafs are my team and would get in based on higher point %)

Points % is the amount of the two available points per game all teams averaged up to this point tacked on as their average over 82 games or the possible 164 points. Fairest way, simplest way i think. Just do that under the agreed format for playoffs and thats that

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
They are going to have to figure it out someway. Unless they just cancel season completely. Count on things being down for 2 months minimum unless someone comes up with vaccine real quick. So expedited playoff likely June 1st. Guessing they go 2 out of 3 series for first 3 rounds and Cup final 4 of 7. Standings based on where it is now. My guess as good as anyone else's.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
They should do a 32 team playoff bracket with first place getting a bye in round 1.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
They are going to have to figure it out someway. Unless they just cancel season completely. Count on things being down for 2 months minimum unless someone comes up with vaccine real quick. So expedited playoff likely June 1st. Guessing they go 2 out of 3 series for first 3 rounds and Cup final 4 of 7. Standings based on where it is now. My guess as good as anyone else's.
If they're out 2 months.
Just cancel the season.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019

They could just do the games with players and staff. Players are basically quarantined during the playoffs anyways.

The Leafs winning the cup and not getting a parade would be the Leafiest thing ever.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If they're out 2 months.
Just cancel the season.
NBA is talking about playing into August man.
If we look at what happened in Italy as an example here then January 31 was DAY 1. So it is in a real bad state 6 weeks later.
Do you honestly think we are going to do better? 2 months might be a low estimate. How do you see it?

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I mean, they did it during the Spanish Flu epidemic... Just cancelled the whole thing, I mean, and awarded the Cup to no one...

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I mean, they did it during the Spanish Flu epidemic... Just cancelled the whole thing, I mean, and awarded the Cup to no one...
Yep it has happened once before. Let's hope we don't make it twice. But if i was betting i would say we are done this year if you go only on what happened in Italy. Like it or not our systems are d*mn similar. Age of population pretty similar. To expect much better is pretty optimistic right?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Never mind the heading. This is a question. How should playoff teams be determined. I think tack on points as a point percentage earned is fairest. It doesn’t have to be any more complicated than that really does it?

Points % of teams are in this link leafers. 2019-20 NHL Standings | Hockey-Reference.com

not really I mean hypothetical points aren’t worth more than actual earned points.

should GPG determine rocket/Ross etc.

If teams are tied or could be beat by % then they should have a 1 game playoff

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Here is an off the wall idea.

How about when the NHL reopens it continues on where the regular season left off and then have the playoffs after the final 12 games are played.

When you suspend something and then resume the starting point is where you left off.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
I think if it came to it, the league would just end the regular season and start playoffs right away with current standings. It's easier and fair. If there are teams that need to compete for a spot based on games played vs expected points as the above mentioned. They face off in a 1 game battle for the spot. After the positions have been solidified, begin the playoffs.

What would be even cooler, every team that is in a playoff spot has their matchups done in a draw. All 16 teams names put into a hat, no conferences. Just draw and face. But that would never happen. Sadly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad