GDT: PO Game 4: Columbus vs. Pittsburgh | 4/18 7:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
On another topic. Any one notice when the CBJ goes on the PK, they hunker down around Bob letting the Pens (or whoever) work the puck in pretty much unchallenged for very good shots while on the other hand, the Pens aggressively attack whoever has the puck, thus disrupting our PP flow?

Yes. I've noticed they send one guy hard at the puck carrier, particularly Wennberg, and then another will jump into the passing lane that's left open, while we stay in our box and don't really put much pressure on the guy with the puck. It's like I know they have Malkin, Crosby, and Kessel out there making passes, but cmon.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
It's amazing how it took 3 games for Torts to employ a change in strategy. It was obvious after game 1 that what they did wasn't going to work.

The last 2 games have shown that without Torts' stubbornness (similar to how he wanted Team USA to play in the World Cup) and Bob's putrid play, we could easily take the series. If not for a Fleury mask, it could be 2-2 right now even with these factors working against us. If they played with speed and didn't have this huge focus on hitting for games 1-3, it could be 3-1 Jackets right now.

Instead, Torts allowed the Pens 2 free games of seemingly unlimited odd man rushes. Those should've been gone after game 1. It's a shame.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
As to the team's play...

I don't like the passivity or timidity or whatever it is that our D is playing in front of Bob (who admittedly and obviously hasn't been good either). They're retreating towards Bob (this is not new and obviously how they're being coached) and yet the wall they're setting up around Bob is too far out, allowing a Pen player not only to have a stick on the ice unmolested but to stand in the crease.

My guess is the scheme is that Bob likes to "see" the puck, and if you add a defenseman trying to move out an opposing player you run the risk of further obstructing Bob's vision. I'm begrudgingly OK with this - when Bob's playing well. But I think it would benefit the D to either/or apply more pressure to Penguin players in our D zone and pull that wall in tighter around Bob when threatened.

The last goal allowed bothered me. We are on a powerplay with an empty net on the other end and they're just collapsing trying to hang on. I get there is less than a minute to go, but cmon... be hungry and get that freebie.

That being said, I'm happy to get to watch at least one more CBJ game. The team needed that good feeling going forward into next year.

Also, is Hartsy watching the rest of the series? Genuinely curious what everyone thinks. I'm not sure who comes out after you win a game. Did anyone notice how miserable he was when they showed the press box?

jacketsgeek

Gimme some bread , man!
Sep 30, 2007
Pickerington, OH
Also did anyone else hear Werenski got that fan a signed jersey for wearing that shirt? What a ****ing good kid. I sincerely hope that his love of the CBJ and the fans here outweigh any need for going home to Michigan or chase an extra mil in UFA at first chance. This kid is our lindstrom and I never want to see another jersey on him unless it says All Star or USA on it.

What shirt?? Sorry if I missed something from earlier in the thread...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
On another topic. Any one notice when the CBJ goes on the PK, they hunker down around Bob letting the Pens (or whoever) work the puck in pretty much unchallenged for very good shots while on the other hand, the Pens aggressively attack whoever has the puck, thus disrupting our PP flow?

Come on now, two posts above yours!;)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He didn't know the jackets existed two years ago. Telling recruits there weren't any pro sports in Columbus. Show Herbstreit if OSU fans need some rock star to jack them up. At least he is actually a cbj fan.

Because one screwup defines a guy for life and he can never ever learn better. Right.

Honest to ****ing G-d, people. I am getting so damn tired of this particular inferiority complex. It's like the worst of the Pens fans who've been acting like we have no business anywhere near the playoffs. Get the utter **** over yourselves for once.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

In my mind its all about the difference in passing between the two teams.

1- Pens have the passing ability to make us pay when we pressure them. Short, quick, accurate passes every single time.

2- Our PP doesn't seem to have that capability the past few months. We have to take 1-3 seconds to skate around, settle the puck, decide where to pass it to next, yada yada. Hence teams being able to pressure us and not worry too much about getting out of position.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
I had no issue with the OSU stuff, but then again, I'm from Cleveland, where "Hang on Sloopy" is pretty much a staple at pro sports events.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Right because the Pirates are oh so good.

That's what made no sense about it. They walked into Columbus, right between Cleveland (home of the AL champs) and Cincinnati (home of one of the best teams in baseball right now) and with a significant number of Yankees (hottest team in baseball entering yesterday) fans from the longtime Clippers affiliation and decide to pair a Pirates cap with their Pens jersey, almost as if to say, "tremble in fear, we come from Pittsburgh, home of the Penguins and the Pirates"

Pittsburgh logic, I guess.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
That's what made no sense about it. They walked into Columbus, right between Cleveland (home of the AL champs) and Cincinnati (home of one of the best teams in baseball right now) and with a significant number of Yankees (hottest team in baseball entering yesterday) fans from the longtime Clippers affiliation and decide to pair a Pirates cap with their Pens jersey, almost as if to say, "tremble in fear, we come from Pittsburgh, home of the Penguins and the Pirates"

Pittsburgh logic, I guess.

That was so you know who the true Pittsburgh fans are. They were saying "Hey....I'm not your typical Pens bandwagon fan, I support Pittsburgh's ****** teams too."

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I wonder how much rope Fleury has. Was last night enough to convince Sullivan to take a flier on the rookie next game? I sure as hell would.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=145157

He was 28-15 with Wilkes-Barre and had a gaa of 2.15. That type of goaltending translates into better than what Fleury has given the past two games.

In any case, if Fleury continues on as he has, Sullivan has to pull the switch. Doesn't he? I'd think game 6 at the latest.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I woke up yesterday morning and put my ticket up for re-sale on TicketBastard. Down 0-3, with one of our best players out with a broken face -- I was afraid of what I was going to wind up seeing.

No one bought, so I wound up going... and wow. Nerve-racking, but I finally got to see a home playoff win. Phew.

I know Bob has taken some from people during this series -- not totally unjustified -- but he made a difference last night. Despite giving up four, he had a number of key saves from in close; the kind of saves we weren't seeing before. He made a save on Hainsey with 6:26 to go that was a result-changing stop. And even on the goal that made it 5-4, he stopped Guentzel on a close-range shot from in the slot through a little bit of traffic, and no one could clear and Guentzel got a second look.

So. Sweep averted. On to Pittsburgh.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I wonder how much rope Fleury has. Was last night enough to convince Sullivan to take a flier on the rookie next game? I sure as hell would.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=145157

He was 28-15 with Wilkes-Barre and had a gaa of 2.15. That type of goaltending translates into better than what Fleury has given the past two games.

In any case, if Fleury continues on as he has, Sullivan has to pull the switch. Doesn't he? I'd think game 6 at the latest.

Fleury has played fine at home in this series so I don't understand why he'd suddenly get the hook with the series heading back to Pittsburgh.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I'll take Urban Meyer in the house for every big game . Dude is a rockstar , and it's ok to like both sports . He loves the jackets , and was there with his son, and son in law .Plus , every big game he shows up at , the Ohio team wins . I'm not joking . He was there for Cavs , Monsters, Indians , all playing for titles , and team always wins , when he's in the house . How about we find something else to ***** about

Bravo.. RAGE RAGE against the dying of the light - who gives a schitt who supports your team, I always laugh in the face of someone dissing other fans. Come one come all, get on this believe train!!!!!!

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Fleury has played fine at home in this series so I don't understand why he'd suddenly get the hook with the series heading back to Pittsburgh.

I think Sullivan will give him game 5, but that's it if they don't close it out-unless Fleury plays well in defeat.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
In my mind its all about the difference in passing between the two teams.

1- Pens have the passing ability to make us pay when we pressure them. Short, quick, accurate passes every single time.

2- Our PP doesn't seem to have that capability the past few months. We have to take 1-3 seconds to skate around, settle the puck, decide where to pass it to next, yada yada. Hence teams being able to pressure us and not worry too much about getting out of position.

Pens are definitely more crisp. It also also helps to have two healthy HOF centers on your roster. I don't know how one overcomes that.

I wish the Jackets would stop the pointless passing from the point into the corners on the pp. It's one thing if the guy is down there and can pass it out somewhere productive, but all it usually accomplishes is the PK pressuring the puck heavily and the wasting of 30 seconds while they get into a scrum and try to root it back out. The way the Jackets run their power plays.... it's like they are trying to run a PK on themselves, seeing how quickly they can use up the 2 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad