GDT: PO Game 3: Columbus vs Pittsburgh | 4/16 6PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
The best thing to come out of this season is that we have a bonifide #1 defensive pairing for the next decade. That said, this team needs a serious skill infusion.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I started reading all the pages here I'd missed, but quickly realized the grave error I was making.

All I'll say is this: give me the choice between watching the CBJ play themselves out of the first round of the playoffs or the top pick of the draft, I choose this every time.

It ain't over yet, but even if it is, they've come a long way and I applaud them.

The future is bright. All you Negative Nancy, Debbie Downer MFers in here can't bring me down!

CBJ CBJ CBJ

The future IS INDEED bright. The present is not so much.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
The future IS INDEED bright. The present is not so much.

We were saying the same thing in 2014. JOHANSEN! JENNER! MURRAY! We're set for a decade, guys!

I'll wait until I see actual results this time and not more pooping of pants in the playoffs.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
We were saying the same thing in 2014. JOHANSEN! JENNER! MURRAY! We're set for a decade, guys!

I'll wait until I see actual results this time and not more pooping of pants in the playoffs.

If you don't see the difference between then and now... not much else to say.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

And Nash, Voracek, Brassard, Mason in 2009.

If you don't see the difference between then and now... not much else to say.

And this is what we said in 2014 about 2009.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Interesting discussion today on the NHL network regarding stoppage of play for an injury. I thought it had to be when Columbus regained possession, and that is generally the rule (8.1) However there Is also a rule (8.3) that indicates it if a player is bleeding significantly the referees are to stop play. Apparently they did not see the degree of bleeding from Zach....didn't know if this clarification had been mentioned.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
So you don't think 2014 > 2009, and 2016 > 2014?

I'm saying I'm not going to presume anything, including that this is the beginning of some lengthy stretch of seasons in which the Jackets make the playoffs each year.

It certainly could happen, and I'm not saying it won't, and I'll of course be happy if it does. But something about crossing bridges before they're hatched or something.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Interesting discussion today on the NHL network regarding stoppage of play for an injury. I thought it had to be when Columbus regained possession, and that is generally the rule (8.1) However there Is also a rule (8.3) that indicates it if a player is bleeding significantly the referees are to stop play. Apparently they did not see the degree of bleeding from Zach....didn't know if this clarification had been mentioned.
It's come up a few times on the playoff boards. Depending on any given poster's degree of callousness/homerism, they either acknowledge that and hope he'll be okay (but don't apologize for the goal, which is fair I suppose) or they reiterate that first part of the rulebook and pretend that the "at their discretion" part never actually existed.

Thankfully, the latter are decidedly in the minority. Nice to see that there's plenty of Pens fans who are just as annoyed with the loudmouth bandwagoners as the rest of us. ;)

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I'm saying I'm not going to presume anything, including that this is the beginning of some lengthy stretch of seasons in which the Jackets make the playoffs each year.

It certainly could happen, and I'm not saying it won't, and I'll of course be happy if it does. But something about crossing bridges before they're hatched or something.

This for me is more of a debate on how you define success and progress.

For some it seems to be 100% results driven, some people to the extent that it's binary - Stanley Cup or nothing.

On the other hand, I'm pretty happy with this season. I see tremendous progress, and that's success enough for me, for now.

Maybe the egg they're in the middle of laying now will hatch into a series win next year.. and it will be obvious which came first. ;)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This for me is more of a debate on how you define success and progress.

For some it seems to be 100% results driven, some people to the extent that it's binary - Stanley Cup or nothing.

On the other hand, I'm pretty happy with this season. I see tremendous progress, and that's success enough for me, for now.

Maybe the egg they're in the middle of laying now will hatch into a series win next year.. and it will be obvious which came first. ;)

Uh-uh, don't paint me with the binary brush. I'm not defining success or anything else anything with my post. It's just reality.

(Also, Binary Brush was awesome when I saw them at Mecca.)

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Uh-uh, don't paint me with the binary brush. I'm not defining success or anything else anything with my post. It's just reality.

(Also, Binary Brush was awesome when I saw them at Mecca.)

I'm an MSPaint man, so I was using the "fill" in this scenario. You can choose for yourself whether you're within the line or not.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
In retrospect, I'd still feel good about the Nash-Voracek-Brassard group --

-- but then we suffered through perhaps the three worst seasons from a starting goalie in NHL history.

I felt better about that group than the 2014 group.

I'd take this group over both. Just need that top center, but we have better assets with this group to make that sort of thing happen.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
And Nash, Voracek, Brassard, Mason in 2009.

And this is what we said in 2014 about 2009.

St Louis seems to be set up pretty well from Jarmo, and Jd. Nothing in our history compares to having a pairing of Werenski, Jones, Savard, Johnson, Murray, Nuti, Carlsson, and Vladislav Gavrikov. Thats building from the back end and out. In one year, we went from 27th to like 4th in the league, by adding 7 rookies to the roster. Plus you have Abramov, and Pld that could dramatically boost our skill positions.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

-- but then we suffered through perhaps the three worst seasons from a starting goalie in NHL history.

I'd take this group over both. Just need that top center, but we have better assets with this group to make that sort of thing happen.

God, was Steve Mason awful. Worst cumulative GAA from 2009-13 in the entire NHL. Almost worst save %.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...r=timeOnIce,gte,3100&sort=goalsAgainstAverage

MrKelso

Feb 26, 2015
Grove City

I agree with this completely.

We have a very good young core of talent here worth building around, a lot more so than we did in 2014 in my opinion.

Werenski, Jones, Savard, Saad, Cam, Jenner, Bjorkstrand, Korpisalo.

I feel way better moving forward with this young core.

We need a #1 center though ... How do we get one? We have to trade some of our suddenly deep blue line to Colorado for Duchene or MacKinnon. I'm okay with giving up Murray, Nutivarra, a Cleveland prospect and a couple of high draft picks for either of those guys. I guess I prefer MacKinnon, but I wouldn't be picky.

If we can add a top line center, and maybe add one affordable winger in free agency for the sake of depth and experience, I would feel way better going into next season.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I agree with this completely.

We have a very good young core of talent here worth building around, a lot more so than we did in 2014 in my opinion.

Werenski, Jones, Savard, Saad, Cam, Jenner, Bjorkstrand, Korpisalo.

I feel way better moving forward with this young core.

We need a #1 center though ... How do we get one? We have to trade some of our suddenly deep blue line to Colorado for Duchene or MacKinnon. I'm okay with giving up Murray, Nutivarra, a Cleveland prospect and a couple of high draft picks for either of those guys. I guess I prefer MacKinnon, but I wouldn't be picky.

If we can add a top line center, and maybe add one affordable winger in free agency for the sake of depth and experience, I would feel way better going into next season.

lol... Colorado isn't trading Mackinnon. And it'll probably take more than what you offered for Duchene. Hence the recent Hanafin for Duchene rumor.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Throw Wennberg into that trade mix for Duchene. That might help.

MrKelso

Feb 26, 2015
Grove City
lol... Colorado isn't trading Mackinnon. And it'll probably take more than what you offered for Duchene. Hence the recent Hanafin for Duchene rumor.

I only mentioned MacKinnon because Bleacher Report said that Colorado would listen to all offers this offseason in an attempt to get better on defense.

Duchene is probably a little more realistic.

I would be willing to throw Wenneberg into that mix for a trade as long as management feels good about Dubious being ready to contribute next year. We also need to re-sign Gagner IMHO. He wasn't great, but IMHO he's been the best 4th line center we've had in a while.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Throw Wennberg into that trade mix for Duchene. That might help.

Wennberg isn't built for playoff hockey, you aren't winning anything when your first line-that would be a second line on great teams- is invisiable. Saad and Wennberg can be traded anytime as far as I'm concerned. Get a true number one Center that can actually win a faceoff

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Anybody go to the game?
% of PIT fans?
Sounded like there were a few but not that many, how the hell did they get kept out given Columbus is a new franchise three hours from?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Wennberg isn't built for playoff hockey, you aren't winning anything when your first line-that would be a second line on great teams- is invisiable. Saad and Wennberg can be traded anytime as far as I'm concerned. Get a true number one Center that can actually win a faceoff

As far as I'm concerned, Murray and Wennberg need to be moved this offseason. Wennberg , while I love his playmaking ability, refuses to shoot the puck, and we are not a team loaded with snipers. Murray, with his injuries, and our depth, he needs to be used to upgrade our offense. Colorado was most likely one of the teams inquiring about Murray at the deadline. I know some here are bleek on Duchene, but he brings 2 elements that we desperately need. Hes the second best face off man in the league, and hes one of the fastest players in the league. Areas, we desperately need to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad