Speculation: PLD Mega Thread (mod warning op)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Habs would easily offer Kotkaniemi and a 2021 1st (and another prospect). I bet you try to say that Vilardi's 7 pts in 10 games trumps what KK has done so far :sarcasm:. I don't think the Blue Jackets are in a rush to move him so lets see where both KK and Vilardi stand after this next season. I'm sure other teams have pieces like that they would offer but more sample size would be nice

The only advantage the Kings would have is they don't have to send salary back for cap reasons.
Vilardi or KK is a matter of preference. Player wise I like Vilardi but the injury history is a little scary. And if CBJ i am asking for Turcotte instead. Turcotte over KK for sure.

Kings 1st over Habs 1st as habs more likely to make playoffs.

no need to take on Byron salary.

Who would other prospect be that Kings is final question. They are stacked and can top habs prospect if they want to. Kaliyev? Madden? Kupari? Thomas?

IF Kings WANT to top everyone and Habs are not willing to add CC or Romanov the Kings will get PLD. King's farm is ridiculously talented.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Speculating here...but I wonder how close he is with Anderson? I know they played together.

Obviously Habs management can't talk to him outside a hello, but Anderson is a different story. Anderson is tied to the Habs for several years so I wonder if he's planting kisses and whispers into PLD's ear to join the Habs.

Of course it the Jackets can hold on to him but at some point, depending how well he produces, the Jackets may be better off taking the package then dealing with the issue. Through his agent, PLD can let the Jackets and other teams know which one he really want to play for.

It wont change the package THAT much, but it will certainly make it harder for Jackets to get the "highest bid". Nobody is going to take a chance with such a huge cost if they got someone who really doesn't want to be there.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
He wants a ‘bigger stage’
I still think this is more of a coverup. I think they wanted to make it clear that it's not a personal problem with Torts or Jarmo, but maybe he just wants to play in a more offensive system where he can rack up points and thus make more money in the future?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Speculating here...but I wonder how close he is with Anderson? I know they played together.

Obviously Habs management can't talk to him outside a hello, but Anderson is a different story. Anderson is tied to the Habs for several years so I wonder if he's planting kisses and whispers into PLD's ear to join the Habs.

Of course it the Jackets can hold on to him but at some point, depending how well he produces, the Jackets may be better off taking the package then dealing with the issue. Through his agent, PLD can let the Jackets and other teams know which one he really want to play for.

It wont change the package THAT much, but it will certainly make it harder for Jackets to get the "highest bid". Nobody is going to take a chance with such a huge cost if they got someone who really doesn't want to be there.
Habs don’t have the capspace. Also Habs have 2 x promising C’s. They shouldn’t be in the market.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Habs don’t have the capspace. Also Habs have 2 x promising C’s. They shouldn’t be in the market.

I mean, agree to disagree. Habs shouldn't be as desperate as a team like Arizona or Calgary should be but it'd be foolish to not at least make an offer.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

I wonder how many teams in the NHL one could use an equal amount of "speculation" to create a similar story and could use a 50-65 point two way centre who plays with heart & grit. Hmmm

Of all the speculation you did in your post (a considerable amount), you actually are going to say (your last sentence) that the team trading for PLD wouldn't want to talk to him/his agent (with CBJ approval, considering it would directly benefit them) before the trade is closed to confirm PLD desire to stay with the new team. Really?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Columbus controls PLD for 4 more years. I have no desire to trade him for less than he is worth. I also have no desire to create a culture where you can have something leaked to the media that you would like a bigger stage, and you get your wish. So if we keep PLD 3 + more years and trade him at the deadline in 23-24 for picks, I am cool with that.

The two teams I see having a chance of making a trade and allowing PLD to play “on a bigger stage” are the Kings and Montreal.

Kings offers I would consider:
Byfield
Turcotte and Kaliyev

Montreal offers I would consider:
Suzuki, Caufield, plus

Toronto won’t make the blockbuster deal with Columbus necessary to make it happen (at the core — Jones and PLD for Matthews and Marner), but it would make Toronto a better playoff team.

Columbus is under no obligation to send him somewhere with a bigger stage. So there are other options. Ottawa has the pieces to get a trade done.

Sorry those of you wanting a Laine/PLD swap, but any trade to Winnipeg involves Scheifele. Which might be really good for Winnipeg - shake things up, new young guy for Laine to hang out with, etc.

Trading PLD for an extended Barzal is a no brainer for Columbus. But I don’t see it happening.

I think Columbus could take on some salary (1 or 2 years max left on contract) as part of a deal to make it work. Or add other pieces like Savard. So I think there are definitely deals to be made. But he won’t be traded for 2 second liners and mid level prospect.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Columbus controls PLD for 4 more years. I have no desire to trade him for less than he is worth. I also have no desire to create a culture where you can have something leaked to the media that you would like a bigger stage, and you get your wish. So if we keep PLD 3 + more years and trade him at the deadline in 23-24 for picks, I am cool with that.

The two teams I see having a chance of making a trade and allowing PLD to play “on a bigger stage” are the Kings and Montreal.

Byfield
Turcotte and Kaliyev

Suzuki, Caufield, plus

Toronto won’t make the blockbuster deal with Columbus necessary to make it happen (at the core — Jones and PLD for Matthews and Marner), but it would make Toronto a better playoff team.

Columbus is under no obligation to send him somewhere with a bigger stage. So there are other options. Ottawa has the pieces to get a trade done.

Sorry those of you wanting a Laine/PLD swap, but any trade to Winnipeg involves Scheifele. Which might be really good for Winnipeg - shake things up, new young guy for Laine to hang out with, etc.

Trading PLD for an extended Barzal is a no brainer for Columbus. But I don’t see it happening.

I think Columbus could take on some salary (1 or 2 years max left on contract) as part of a deal to make it work. Or add other pieces like Savard. So I think there are definitely deals to be made. But he won’t be traded for 2 second liners and mid level prospect.
Do you think CBJ would agree to Kotka + Caufield + 2021 second for PLD?

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
Suzuki + Caufield + is a monstrous ask for someone who's yet to crack 65 points. I'm solidly out as a Habs fan.

I think CBJ should hold onto him for as long as possible and I'm sure CBJ fans would be happy to.

Reactions: Viqsi

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

Byfield
Turcotte and Kaliyev

Suzuki, Caufield, plus

That's embarrassing. Matthews and Marner are both untouchable, and Columbus doesn't have the pieces to fetch either.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
That's embarrassing. Matthews and Marner are both untouchable, and Columbus doesn't have the pieces to fetch either.
Y'all Leafs fans really need to get over yourselves with Marner. I know they don't need another center, but pretending Marner at his $11M salary for Dubois is some great deal for Columbus is delusional

Reactions: Schemp

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Y'all Leafs fans really need to get over yourselves with Marner. I know they don't need another center, but pretending Marner at his $11M salary for Dubois is some great deal for Columbus is delusional

90+ point 2 way wingers don't grow on trees. By GSVA, PLD is worth 2.2 wins, Marner worth 3.5. And Marner only makes 7M. Leafs already paid the bulk of it. Less than 0% chance Leafs even consider it.

Relevant links:
Toronto Maple Leafs 2020-21 NHL season preview
Columbus Blue Jackets 2020-21 season preview

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
90+ point 2 way wingers don't grow on trees. By GSVA, PLD is worth 2.2 wins, Marner worth 3.5. And Marner only makes 7M. Leafs already paid the bulk of it. Less than 0% chance Leafs even consider it.

Relevant links:
Toronto Maple Leafs 2020-21 NHL season preview
Columbus Blue Jackets 2020-21 season preview
I like MM too, especially his two way game, and that he’s an elite PKer too. But at 5 million on the cap is PLD close enough to MM for the Leafs to save the 6 on the cap they do if that trade was made?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Dubois would make a great winger beside Tavares.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I like MM too, especially his two way game, and that he’s an elite PKer too. But at 5 million on the cap is PLD close enough to MM for the Leafs to save the 6 on the cap they do if that trade was made?

No. 3.5 wins vs 2.2 is too big a gap for the Leafs to make that trade, even with the cap savings (also PLD is on a bridge, Marner's contract buys 2 UFA years)

Also PLD is a distressed asset, no way he fetches anything close to Marner with a trade demand hanging over his head.

Reactions: Luckylarry

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If there is one thing we know, the Leafs are going to be outbid in the Dubois sweepstakes.

Teams that want a center will pay more than teams that want a winger.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No. 3.5 wins vs 2.2 is too big a gap for the Leafs to make that trade, even with the cap savings (also PLD is on a bridge, Marner's contract buys 2 UFA years)

Also PLD is a distressed asset, no way he fetches anything close to Marner with a trade demand hanging over his head.
Although I tend to agree with you, I’m also wondering how much more offence PLD provides if he gets to play beside Tavares. PLD would make one heck of good power forward type winger. Never happening though, because Columbus just seems to refuse to pay guys.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
To summarize, the deaIs I would do as a Jackets fan.

PLD+ for Barkov

PLD+ for Barzal

PLD for Larkin straight up

PLD for Danault(re-signed), Romanov, 1st(unprotected)
Those are some serious asks, for a guy who's best season has been 61 pts.......don't think any of those teams do that.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad