Speculation: PLD Mega Thread (mod warning op)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Those are some serious asks, for a guy who's best season has been 61 pts.......don't think any of those teams do that.....

Barzal doesn't have contract, and the Isles don't have the money/cap space he wants

Both are centers, so a 1-fof-1 swap would be pretty close. Maybe throw in a 2nd from CBJ

But I think Winnipeg is the likeliest, PLD + something small for Laine

Laine might just be the kind of guy to stay a few years in Columbus.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
If there is one thing we know, the Leafs are going to be outbid in the Dubois sweepstakes.

Teams that want a center will pay more than teams that want a winger.

I see absolutely no reason for Toronto to even think about getting him

They need (young) defensemen, a goalie, and maybe some 3rd liners on offence. They absolutely do not neet another forward who wants to be the #1 guy and "get a bigger stage". They already have 4 forwards who all want to be the guys.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Barzal doesn't have contract, and the Isles don't have the money/cap space he wants

Both are centers, so a 1-fof-1 swap would be pretty close. Maybe throw in a 2nd from CBJ

But I think Winnipeg is the likeliest, PLD + something small for Laine

Laine might just be the kind of guy to stay a few years in Columbus.
Laine would have to have one hell of a personal evolution in his play to survive Tortorella. And we're not going without a #1C for any significant length of time, so to make that happen one would have to hope that one of Domi/Texier/Foudy/Grigorenko exceed expectations, or we get that settled through other means.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That would be quite an overpayment from OTT

Maybe

Brannström + unprotected 1st

for

PLD + 2nd rounder
At this point I'm reasonably confident that Brannstrom is an automatic "no". Not that he personally is objectionable, but he keeps getting put forward as the centerpiece in deals that do little good for the Jackets.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Laine would have to have one hell of a personal evolution in his play to survive Tortorella. And we're not going without a #1C for any significant length of time, so to make that happen one would have to hope that one of Domi/Texier/Foudy/Grigorenko exceed expectations, or we get that settled through other means.
Laine will very likely score 500 plus National League goals. Still if I’m CBJ I don’t trade PLD for Laine.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
At this point I'm reasonably confident that Brannstrom is an automatic "no". Not that he personally is objectionable, but he keeps getting put forward as the centerpiece in deals that do little good for the Jackets.

The 1st rounder, a top4 pick, is the centerpiece in that one.

Brannström is just the side dish. He's getting traded / trade suggested so often he can't be that good.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018

Laine would survive that easily, he doesn't give a shit about that kind of things. He has been through such a media/fan circus in Finland nothing will destroy him.

Tortorella has been good with offensively talented players before, too.

I think Laine would enjoy being the undisputed #1 man on the PP, hammering in as many slappers as he wants to, for years.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The 1st rounder, a top4 pick, is the centerpiece in that one.

Brannström is just the side dish. He's getting traded / trade suggested so often he can't be that good.
If we can get someone who can step in as a top-6 C immediately with that pick, maybe. Otherwise... we're not really looking for futures.

* * *​
Laine would survive that easily, he doesn't give a shit about that kind of things. He has been through such a media/fan circus in Finland nothing will destroy him.

I think Laine would enjoy being the undisputed #1 man on the PP, hammering in as many slappers as he wants to, for years.
More along the lines of "he damn well better learn how to play rudimentary defense and do it consistently". Panarin took to it like a fish to water. Laine would have to do the same.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

It's not a media circus that Laine is going to have to deal with. What is his reaction to being benched game after game if he doesn't play the right way? Maurice never did that with Laine, he worked on him but it was off-ice. Torts will bench him and scream in his face.

And Torts obviously has no problem with offensive talent. He has a problem with anything less than 100% consistent defensive effort. That's why acquiring Laine would be strange for Columbus - apart from him not being a play-driving center.

I suppose I should add that it has been worrying thinking about how Laine would react to not having star forwards to play alongside. He's been complaining about his linemates in Winnipeg, but the ones he has (even when he was on the second line) are better than anybody Columbus has. We can't top Ehlers and Stastny let alone Connor and Scheifele.

Here's another reason - there is a team culture in Columbus that is a little bit different. Players just don't publicly complain about not being with their favorite linemates, or not getting the most minutes in their favorite situations. You just do what you're told and that is the end of it. The players built that attitude over the course of the last 8-9 years, you can't let one player come and set it aside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad