Confirmed with Link: PLD, 3rd to Winnipeg; Laine, Roslovic here

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think it probably is going to be under 4 years.

Not necessarily because Laine doesn't want to be here, but he's a "bet on myself" guy all the way through. He doesn't want financial security. He wants the 8-figure marker of super-stardom.

Then the jackets would smart to sign him to that deal and then trade him within the next two

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Waiting to see Domi show up and settle in before deciding. He’s not been a factor - Yet.

Domi has shown some flashes. I have been really impressed with his vision so far. Would have a few more assists if a certain someone could score like they are paid to do

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Biggest flaw I see ... I wake up with cold sweats seeing visions of Jones , in a non urgent manner holding the puck behind our goal for 15 seconds , as they line change to start a rush up ice .

From watching highlights of Winnipeg, do they typically use a power play of 5 forwards , and no defenseman ?
So far only on 5 on 3 situations.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Laine is a building block , if we have to overpay to get him to sign more of a term , I make that sacrifice if I’m Jarmo . It’s about making that statement , and changing narrative players want to be in Columbus . Long term , I think we pick one the 2 between Jones or Werenski , and trade the other for an elite offensive talent . And I do this sooner than later , you have a limited time to make an impression on Laine . Kukan looks every part of a top 6 defenseman , and is improving . We need to get Peeke on the ice , I think we will see he belongs as well .

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Laine is a building block , if we have to overpay to get him to sign more of a term , I make that sacrifice if I’m Jarmo . It’s about making that statement , and changing narrative players want to be in Columbus . Long term , I think we pick one the 2 between Jones or Werenski , and trade the other for an elite offensive talent . And I do this sooner than later , you have a limited time to make an impression on Laine . Kukan looks every part of a top 6 defenseman , and is improving . We need to get Peeke on the ice , I think we will see he belongs as well .
Might have to pick this year or it’s going to be impossible to trade Seth with 1 year left for an ‘elite offensive talent’

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I’m in agreement on the Jones - Werenski idea and I’ve done a 180 in that I’d be targeting Werenski. Seth’s play has been disappointing this year and for much of last year. People talk about signing Seth to a long term deal at $8M plus - heck of seen some go up to $10M. IMHO, his play doesn’t match those numbers. That said, Seth is held in very high regard and is the most valuable asset in a trade, a guy who could fetch a significant offensive player in return. In a package with a prospect like Bemstrom you might get a top line winger and good DMan back.

Seth has generally been viewed as untouchable, but should he be? If you think I don’t like Jones, you’re wrong. It’s just that I think he offers a way for us to improve the team and manage contracts to performance. I suspect many here still feel Seth is a top 5/top 10 defenseman and will declare my take as heresy. That’s ok. After all I’m not the GM who makes those decisions.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Ok but what is a good strategic overpay then?

For the Jets, paying him $6.7m was out of line with their practice with RFAs, but they did it to get him signed, not because he was better than Ehlers or Connor (much the opposite). I'd say right now $8m per is a strategic overpay for what Laine has done to date. He certainly hasn't been that good in the last two seasons. It looks to me like fans are buying the hype and thinking $9m or $10m is a strategic overpay, but in my book that is just a gross overpay, it's closer to double the value Laine brought to the Jets.

A long term deal at this point is unlikely given Laine's view on his capabilities, and given the tightened league finances in the next couple seasons. Laine isn't going to be on his way out of Columbus just because he doesn't sign long term. He's just always going to be that "bet on myself" type, and whoever has him is going to be paying a lot of money for what he brings, not getting any kind of deal. That's why there weren't as many suitors for Laine as expected, no GM thought they were getting a steal with him.

I'd expect something like $8m x 3 years on his next deal. And the Jackets will have a good chance of being able to extend him again after that, if they're willing to pay through the nose.

I’m in agreement on the Jones - Werenski idea and I’ve done a 180 in that I’d be targeting Werenski. Seth’s play has been disappointing this year and for much of last year. People talk about signing Seth to a long term deal at $8M plus - heck of seen some go up to $10M. IMHO, his play doesn’t match those numbers. That said, Seth is held in very high regard and is the most valuable asset in a trade, a guy who could fetch a significant offensive player in return. In a package with a prospect like Bemstrom you might get a top line winger and good DMan back.

Seth has generally been viewed as untouchable, but should he be? If you think I don’t like Jones, you’re wrong. It’s just that I think he offers a way for us to improve the team and manage contracts to performance. I suspect many here still feel Seth is a top 5/top 10 defenseman and will declare my take as heresy. That’s ok. After all I’m not the GM who makes those decisions.

It's not heretical, I don't think Jones should be untouchable, and I don't think he is. We very well might see a blockbuster in the summer.

He certainly isn't playing like a top 5/10 D-man right now and you wouldn't think he is a $9m player if you only saw the last couple weeks. I've been much more inclined to keep Werenski. With his deception he has the ability to break a defense from the backend and that is very valuable to an offensively starved team like the Jackets. Jones can't do that, and there are times where I wonder if he is becoming redundant in our defensive system. Jones would be more valuable racing up and down the ice like the Jackets used to back in the "safe is death" era.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Why are you still saying Laines’s last year wasn’t that good?

He was on 76 point pace(63 in 68) and played his best overall hockey of his career.

Also during the signing he was definitely better than eg. Connor. So I don't get that reference either.

Laine has had one 1/2 season when he definitely was not good. And that was latter half of 18-19, but also it was revealed after the season that he did play with injured back. He had limited mobility on his back which did mean that he could not shoot effectively. And when Laine can't shoot effectively, he is definitely not making noise playing 2nd line.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Why are you still saying Laines’s last year wasn’t that good?

He was on 76 point pace(63 in 68) and played his best overall hockey of his career.

It depends on the standard you're holding him to.

It was encouraging to see Laine not be a disaster defensively, I'll give you that, but he still wasn't making the Jets top six lines better. Chevy brought it up in the post-trade presser. Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler was much better than Connor-Scheifele-Laine, whether you go by the goals or the expected goals. He wasn't better than an aged Blake Wheeler. That's a high bar to clear because Wheeler is still good, but in my book you're not a $9m type of guy if you can't make each line on your team better with your presence. We've already seen all the excuses here from Laine fans, several pages of them. At some point the guy just has to carry if he is actually going to be a superstar. We haven't seen that yet.

If you meant it was a good season for a $6m winger, then sure I'll go along with that.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Also during the signing he was definitely better than eg. Connor. So I don't get that reference either.

Laine has had one 1/2 season when he definitely was not good. And that was latter half of 18-19, but also it was revealed after the season that he did play with injured back. He had limited mobility on his back which did mean that he could not shoot effectively. And when Laine can't shoot effectively, he is definitely not making noise playing 2nd line.

Laine was signed after that disastrous 2018-19 season, where he really was an absolute disaster. 9 goals from December 1st onward, -24 on the year (the nearest teammate was -12), that's more than just a bad half season, that's a bad season. Laine's torrid scoring in November actually obscures how much he looked like a zombie for the first two months of the season. No that's not better than Connor, who signed at the same time after a strong year.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Inside that disastrous, injury ridden season...did you happen to find any positive signs that may have better indicated his level when not injured? Any months come to mind?

Or is yiur theory that a mediocre player can have a hot enough month to put NHL records on notice?

Reactions: Farmboy Patty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad