Confirmed with Link: PLD, 3rd to Winnipeg; Laine, Roslovic here

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Sorry for bothering,

When do you guys predict Laine first game? in 12 days?

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Only been a couple days and PLD already changed his Instagram pic and description to make sure everyone knows he’s a Jet now. But he left you all a warm god bye message

That big crybaby Dubois will (probably) end like someone like Duchene ... who ended in Nashville and goin nowhere fast today. After he cried out of Colorado that is.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The Dubois trade is probably bittersweet in the room just like it is for us. That said Id give it time, let Laine get in the room and on the ice creating some excitement and probably some friendships before I start wondering about more players like Jones leaving. This season is likely pretty important for many reasons and just another reason Jarmo had to act fast vs letting Dubois continue to hurt the team

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Patrik Laine & Learning From Mistakes

Pretty good read, imo.

The author goes over how the Jets PP changed over time and tries to relate it to how the CBJ operate their PP.

For Laine's first three years, he basically sat in "Ovi's office" for lack of a better term on the left circle. They ran a 1-3-1, but with F1 operating more out of the right corner rather than the CBJ who often have F1 as a net front presence. So Laine would get fed from the Dman at the point or fully across the ice from Blake Wheeler. With the time and space he got, his shot was lethal. Then, teams adjusted. The Jets moved Laine to the pivot or bumper spot - the middle forward of the three across in the slot. Laine's PP production dipped as they never really got him going in that spot.

The author notes that in the left circle, Laine thrived with a right-handed Dman at the point because they could get the pass over to him more quickly. So, some interesting thoughts there on Z vs Jones on the point. Werenski is more of a shooting threat to keep the PK honest, but some concerns there about getting the pass over to Laine quick enough - either off his back hand or taking the time to get the puck to his forehand to make the pass.

With Laine, they can get a little more creative. Ideally, you want him on the left side and you also have two other one-time options in Atkinson & Bjorkstrand. Does Seth Jones need to run the point? People have mentioned the need for a right handed shot at the point to make that final pass to Laine, or is Werenski good enough of a passer to make that play? I think they could benefit from running more setups below the dots because of how redundant the point pass can get & it might make it easier for Laine to get lost around the net. If the normal one-time options aren’t open. Werenski’s rover-like traits also make him a shooting option that teams have to respect, so that opens the door for someone else to play the point, whether that’s Jones or a forward, I’m not sure. It’s a different situation than when they had Panarin, as their power play usually ran through him on the left side while Laine is more of a pure shooter.

upload_2021-1-26_12-58-51.png

He also notes that Laine scored *80* goals in his first 155 games, but just 58 in his next 150. There are some other notes in the piece about why that might be, how the Jets changed, how defenses changed against the Jets, etc. He thinks at 5v5, Laine has a chance to improve over the last couple of years because the Jackets run their 5v5 cycle better than the Jets did/do.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I had a chilling feeling when I heard on Friedman's podcast that Pat Brisson is the agent for Werenski and Jones too.

It ups the chances that there is something interrelated with them, that perhaps the exodus isn't over.

It also maybe explains part of Jarmo's predicament. If he does know PLD's reasons and wants them out there, he still has to play nice with Brisson.

yeah that’s concerning

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I had a chilling feeling when I heard on Friedman's podcast that Pat Brisson is the agent for Werenski and Jones too.

It ups the chances that there is something interrelated with them, that perhaps the exodus isn't over.

It also maybe explains part of Jarmo's predicament. If he does know PLD's reasons and wants them out there, he still has to play nice with Brisson.

Again to me that makes sense (cue all the regulars saying it can't be true the CBJ owners will spend BILLIONS to resign the players).] that perhaps the agent and PLD were asking hey if we sign this 8*8 where will Seth and Zach fit in (or just generally what will you surround me with.
Not what any of us what to hear but would fit.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
This doesn't really concern me in the least. You ask Seth on 7/1/21 if he's willing to sign the 8x8 or 8x9 deal on the table and if he does anything other than sign it, you open the bidding and try to get a #1 center. Then move on to Zach and tell him he's going to be the man on the backend.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I got the text for this trade, looked down, and went "cool". Then went right on doing whatever it was I was doing. There was a time I would have been really excited. It's funny how these things don't seem all that important now. I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

The more time has went off the more excited I'm getting. You really couldn't ask for more out of a bad situation. We also got more in the deal with Roslovic.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
This doesn't really concern me in the least. You ask Seth on 7/1/21 if he's willing to sign the 8x8 or 8x9 deal on the table and if he does anything other than sign it, you open the bidding and try to get a #1 center. Then move on to Zach and tell him he's going to be the man on the backend.

At least in MLB a guy with one year left (see Indians and Lindor) doesn't get you much of a return. Maybe it's different in hockey?

Mrpm

Jan 4, 2013
Where do you guys think Roslovic will slot in? I think he's a better fit at C than wing honestly. Maybe 3c behandling Texier and Domi to begin with?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
At least in MLB a guy with one year left (see Indians and Lindor) doesn't get you much of a return. Maybe it's different in hockey?

I would hope Jarmo would work with Seth on preferred destinations.

And the alternative is to lose him for nothing. This is a time when the HF posters who scream about "you're going to lose him for nothing, you have no leverage!" would be correct.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Where do you guys think Roslovic will slot in? I think he's a better fit at C than wing honestly. Maybe 3c behandling Texier and Domi to begin with?

Really hard to say at this point. I think I like him more at center, Or more accurately, I like him less on wing. He's not a hard nosed guy that will duke it out on the forecheck. Torts won't like that. But speed up the middle is always a plus.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

It's the same unless they think he will sign. And the value is pretty good in a sign-and-trade.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Again with Seth I’d prepare myself for 10M.(not that it takes it but meave breathing room for cap estimations)
Jones level Dmen have gone from 9-11.5M already on the market and Jones will be hitting UFA market at the best age, in the middle of his prime.

Jones is already making 5.4M per season, so to 8 there isn’t that big of a raise when you consider that contract was signed in 2016, and think of the development and how proven Seth is today vs 2016.

He’s one of the best Dmen in the league and there’ll be teams in line willing to go 10+

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He also notes that Laine scored *80* goals in his first 155 games, but just 58 in his next 150. There are some other notes in the piece about why that might be, how the Jets changed, how defenses changed against the Jets, etc. He thinks at 5v5, Laine has a chance to improve over the last couple of years because the Jackets run their 5v5 cycle better than the Jets did/do.

Regarding 5v5, Laine supposedly scores better on the rush, and is less effective scoring off the cycle. If that's true, then he either needs to get much better at scoring off the cycle or the Jackets need to change their whole approach with him on the ice. The Jackets were 31st/31 last year in terms of rush play and at or near the top in terms of goals off of the forecheck and cycle. (Stats from ThePointHockey).

The bit about the PP makes me think we have to run a RHS on the point, so pretty much Seth Jones. Jones has been useless on the PP for the last two years but he should be able to do better.

Laine - Nyquist** - Bjorkstrand
-------- Jones

* Up front Jenner and Foligno have abysmal PP stats. But we also barely use the netfront. I'm not sure whether to try Texier or someone else up front, or whether it is more of a strategic issue with our netfront on the PP. A good PP usually threatens with all five members, while the Jackets usually just keep it on the umbrella.

** In the bumper spot perhaps Domi can fill-in for Nyquist. But the best guy to use if we want to mimic the Scheifele bumper role is another RHS shot, and I think Stenlund would kill it there.

-------- Texier
Laine - Stenlund - Bjorkstrand
-------- Jones

??

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Regarding 5v5, Laine supposedly scores better on the rush, and is less effective scoring off the cycle.

I do have visions of him one-timing those behind-the-net-into-the-slot passes much more effectively than our current guys, though.

Reactions: majormajor

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Regarding 5v5, Laine supposedly scores better on the rush, and is less effective scoring off the cycle. If that's true, then he either needs to get much better at scoring off the cycle or the Jackets need to change their whole approach with him on the ice. The Jackets were 31st/31 last year in terms of rush play and at or near the top in terms of goals off of the forecheck and cycle. (Stats from ThePointHockey).
??

Maybe, however Cam mainly scored on the rush for a couple of years until he "got it". In the past we've been able to get players like that the puck and let them do their thing (we just haven't had many of them). If he only scores on the rush and on the PP, he'll still be exciting to watch and a net positive. Regardless, we won't be changing our system to fit him.

I've only watched two of our games since the plague hit. We've had a lot or roster changes, so I'm not really sure I can speak too much on our style ATM. I'm taking your post to suggest that not much changed last season.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

The bit about the PP makes me think we have to run a RHS on the point, so pretty much Seth Jones. Jones has been useless on the PP for the last two years but he should be able to do better.

Laine - Nyquist** - Bjorkstrand
-------- Jones

* Up front Jenner and Foligno have abysmal PP stats. But we also barely use the netfront. I'm not sure whether to try Texier or someone else up front, or whether it is more of a strategic issue with our netfront on the PP. A good PP usually threatens with all five members, while the Jackets usually just keep it on the umbrella.

** In the bumper spot perhaps Domi can fill-in for Nyquist. But the best guy to use if we want to mimic the Scheifele bumper role is another RHS shot, and I think Stenlund would kill it there.

-------- Texier
Laine - Stenlund - Bjorkstrand
-------- Jones

??

I like your first unit, though I'd put Texier in that bumper/pivot spot where Nyquist is. I also think with Domi's passing ability, you've got to find him a spot on one of the two units. It sort of depends on if they change the 1F role or if they mostly just want a guy setting a screen the whole time (in which case...Jenner and Foligno can do that fine, I guess).

I'd go"
-------Domi (if allowed to create more in the corners/behind the net...if they just want a big body, I guess Foligno?)
Laine - Texier - Bjorkstrand
------Jones

2nd unit
-----?????
Atkinson - Grigorenko? - Stenlund
----Werenski

So it'll be interesting to see if they make any subtle changes. I think clearly, putting Laine out there on the left side is the best move. It can force the PK to stay home a bit more, which might open up the right side for Bjorkstrand. Texier got some PP time on that left side in the 2019 playoffs (game 4, goal #1, for example) as have Bjorkstrand and Atkinson in the past, but you've got to put Laine out there. Bjorkstrand has found some nice shooting lanes in the past on that right side. This team just has too many right-handed shots up front, so it's sort of hard to figure out.

Anyway, some tough decisions coming up if everyone stays healthy. Sounds like Roslovic will get a look down the middle at first - I'm not sure who they'll rotate out with Koivu and Nash also in bottom 6 C roles. Going to have to send one off the active roster (either to taxi squad or Cleveland) of: Stenlund, Foudy, Robinson, or Harrington/Carlsson if they go 14F/7D.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
What scares me about Columbus' PP (and not in a good way) we are WAY too lax and rarely show any urgency. It's almost as if we use the PP as a time to rest instead of a time to score. It goes way beyond not being able to score, we can barely break into the zone and get set up. Also we need an amazing faceoff man on the PP. Especially when we struggle so much to break in and get set up.

Reactions: thebus88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad