B-Sens Playoffs Round 1 - Belleville Senators vs Rochester Americans

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Allowing Dell to crush us is very typical sens. We never put down the teams villains. It’s in our DNA. And I think the only way to exorcise this demon is to create a team so evil that we are the villain
He needs to be lit up with goals and punches. One of the two will suffice.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Dorion’s fault.
Melnyk's fault.

Just one of those things...maybe Gus getting injured had something to do with it?

Didn't get to watch the game but did we just sit back and let them attack?

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Well....the head coach plays his"identity" lines a lot. Not enough of Sokolov and there may be just one more - Thompson, who is skilled enough. Those "identity" players are not even good for AHL. As I understand Troy Mann wants skilled players to be like them and play like them. Well, skilled players with Amercs just crashed those "identities". I can not believe in the 21 century you can still go with Don Cherry Boston Bruins crap to win the cup. Never happened in 20 years. Even then Orr played most of the time.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Well....the head coach plays his"identity" lines a lot. Not enough of Sokolov and there may be just one more - Thompson, who is skilled enough. Those "identity" players are not even good for AHL. As I understand Troy Mann wants skilled players to be like them and play like them. Well, skilled players with Amercs just crashed those "identities". I can not believe in the 21 century you can still go with Don Cherry Boston Bruins crap to win the cup. Never happened in 20 years. Even then Orr played most of the time.

Are there TOI stats somewhere? I would be surprised if Sokolov along with Reinhardt weren't at the top among forwards. Not that Reinhardt is the most skilled but he was one of the better players last night. Honestly lines 1-3 are fairly equal all things considered. With the exception of Wedman, the forwards are a solid group, they lack top end talent but I don't know that you can blame Mann for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Are there TOI stats somewhere? I would be surprised if Sokolov along with Reinhardt weren't at the top among forwards. Not that Reinhardt is the most skilled but he was one of the better players last night. Honestly lines 1-3 are fairly equal all things considered. With the exception of Wedman, the forwards are a solid group, they lack top end talent but I don't know that you can blame Mann for that.
Probably need a stats package of some kind .. SportLogiq InStat .. I have never found any

Reactions: Korpse

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

Based on Mann's comments it sounds like some of the players that while some players thrived, others struggled in the playoff environment. I didn't see the game so I am not sure which players he might be referring to. It is difficult in a best of 3 series to determine which changes need to be made but if there are a few forwards that aren't adapting well it might be worthwhile to put Ridly Greig and Tyler Boucher in the lineup. That is of course if Viktor Lodin still has the flu, or if it is 3 forwards that aren't adapting well maybe get all 3 of them in.

Again, I don't know which players he is referring to or how they looked last game and I don't know how confident he is for them to bounce back. I do however believe that Grieg and Boucher are well suited for the playoffs and could provide something positive if others are struggling.

Reactions: StoicSensFan

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

Based on Mann's comments it sounds like some of the players that while some players thrived, others struggled in the playoff environment. I didn't see the game so I am not sure which players he might be referring to. It is difficult in a best of 3 series to determine which changes need to be made but if there are a few forwards that aren't adapting well it might be worthwhile to put Ridly Greig and Tyler Boucher in the lineup. That is of course if Viktor Lodin still has the flu, or if it is 3 forwards that aren't adapting well maybe get all 3 of them in.

Again, I don't know which players he is referring to or how they looked last game and I don't know how confident he is for them to bounce back. I do however believe that Grieg and Boucher are well suited for the playoffs and could provide something positive if others are struggling.

Sokolov, Reinhardt, Kastelic, Agozzino and Chartier were the best forwards. Shaw was pretty decent as well. Wedman and Sabourin were probably the worst forwards - they really struggled with the pace and in the defensive end. Parker Kelly wasn't good. Didn't get much from Lucchini or Jarventie either.

Wedman is coming out for sure, and I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled Sabu as well. If Lodin is recovered from his illness he'll be in. Greig might come in because Belleville are desperate for guys who can handle the puck and make plays in the middle of the ice. Boucher will not be going in.

Reactions: DrEasy and Korpse

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
When he beat the piss out of Downie, that was my favourite with Boyle being a close second. Carkner was a beauty.

Everyone's fights with Downie. God damn I loved that team, Carkner, Neil, Smith, Ruutu, Fisher.

• Love
Reactions: The Expert

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Sokolov, Reinhardt, Kastelic, Agozzino and Chartier were the best forwards. Shaw was pretty decent as well. Wedman and Sabourin were probably the worst forwards - they really struggled with the pace and in the defensive end. Parker Kelly wasn't good. Didn't get much from Lucchini or Jarventie either.

Wedman is coming out for sure, and I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled Sabu as well. If Lodin is recovered from his illness he'll be in. Greig might come in because Belleville are desperate for guys who can handle the puck and make plays in the middle of the ice. Boucher will not be going in.
I would think that the order of players considered to be put in the lineup for next game would be 1. Lodin, 2. Greig, 3. Boucher. If Lodin has the flu then that changes things. But more importantly it comes down to what Troy Mann thinks of the players that were struggling and how confident he is for them to make the necessary adaptations. Fundamentally it is about winning games so Mann will ice the roster that he believes will give him the best chance to win.

I don't know how Wedman, Sabourin, Kelly, Lucchini and Jarventie looked, other than what you are telling me. I don't know if they just underperformed a bit or disappeared or looked out of their element in the playoffs. If they performed really poorly or look overwhelmed or like they can't handle the playoffs then they are at high risk of being replaced. I also don't know how Greig and Boucher looked in practice today but I do know they are well suited for the playoffs and can certainly take on a smaller role if other players are struggling.

Their chances of getting in the lineup would be better if they had more practice time so given the limited practice time I wouldn't expect them in the lineup for next game. But depending on how those other players looked, Mann's confidence in them and Lodin's health status, I could certainly see a rationale for inserting Greig and Boucher in the lineup that Mann would at least give consideration to.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

As much as I would like to see the young guys inserted into the lineup Mann is trying to win a series & in a tough spot. Those guys didn't help their junior teams win their series & the AHL is a big step up for junior players. Lodin is old enough, but is sick so he would have to feel better to play & Boucher hasn't exactly made a big impression in junior yet. Greig was scoring, but was out for a number of weeks with an injury & could still be rusty. Think about if they got inserted & screwed up that it cost them the game, what would that do for the player, teammates & coach?

In the meantime Mann has access to a number of players who he knows well that have been with him all yr & in Belleville for a long time that may deserve another chance. It's a tough call don't you think for him knowing how much Sens fans want to see the young guys, I wonder how much influence PD might have on who plays? In the regular season it would be a no brainer to insert the young guys, but in the playoffs with their season on the line, I'm not quite sure it's fair to either party. But you never know, should be interesting to see what he does, it's always easier to make moves after a loss than after a win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad