Playoff race.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I want to say Detroit but this roster doesn’t seem to have any killer instinct in them outside of Larkin and Kane.

It’s going to come down to the head to heads IMO

Reactions: Super Fadio Bro

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
As it stands now with 4 games left(3 for Philly) for all 5 teams(New York(I), Washington, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Philly) both the Islanders and Caps control there own destiny. Islanders need to go 3-1, while Caps would need to go 4-0 to clinch it without any help from other teams. It looks like Penguins most likely will end up with tie breaker advantage, while Caps would beat Detroit and Islanders have no chance of winning that.

Philly at this point needs a lot of help and if they made it I would be surprised since it would mean 3 teams ahead of them crash and burned.

Last edited:

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Who cares about that last WC spot, its a "participation award" and whoever gets it
is going to get killed in the first round anyway.

So as a Caps fan, I'm hoping they don't make it. Right now, I think it will be NYI and Pitt, both of whom are hot at them moment.

It could be Detroit though, with the easiest remaining schedule. They play Montreal twice in the final two games.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Right now, I think it will be NYI and Pitt, both of whom are hot at them moment.

It could be Detroit though, with the easiest remaining schedule. They play Montreal twice in the final two games.

Islanders and Pittsburgh play each other last game of the season. All that being said if Islander go 3-0 before that game, then the game is meaningless in terms of Islanders making the playoffs(although could still be meaningful in terms of positioning)

In the case of the Penguins, they play Detroit as well, so that game is huge in terms of which team would have more of an advantage incase the Caps or Islanders don't reach their magic number

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Penguins now have a 1 point lead, they let Detroit back in it giving them an OT point.

Caps blew it against Buffalo.

Penguins 86 points last three against Bruins, Predators and Islanders

Capitals 85 points last three against Lightning, Bruins, Flyers

Red Wings 85 points last three against Leafs, Habs, Habs

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Penguins now have a 1 point lead, they let Detroit back in it giving them an OT point.

Caps blew it against Buffalo.

Penguins 86 points last three against Bruins, Predators and Islanders

Capitals 85 points last three against Lightning, Bruins, Flyers

Red Wings 85 points last three against Leafs, Habs, Habs
Red Wings have the easiest 3 remaining games? what ya think?

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
The end of season was even better than hoped.

Even with the Devils and Sabres falling short it was the best wild card race I remember. If Pens and Sens don't do any major revamp in the summer, the next year could a year when all teams in the East are fighting to the end.

1713071874053.png

sbhnur

Dec 26, 2020
Does anybody know: if the Flyers beat the Caps in the next game they pass them, even when the caps win the last game they have on hand? I think the record of both teams against each other matters when everything else is equal?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Does anybody know: if the Flyers beat the Caps in the next game they pass them, even when the caps win the last game they have on hand? I think the record of both teams against each other matters when everything else is equal?
Well... Philly has the edge in Goal-Differential, if you can call -25 an 'edge'. Washington's -40 is astounding for a team currently in a playoff position. Pretty sure that stat counts in the final ranking, although I'm not sure how.

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
La Prairie Beach
Well... Philly has the edge in Goal-Differential, if you can call -25 an 'edge'. Washington's -40 is astounding for a team currently in a playoff position. Pretty sure that stat counts in the final ranking, although I'm not sure how.
according to NHL.com

Tie-Breaking Procedure​

If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:
  1. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).
  2. The greater number of games won, excluding games won in Overtime or by Shootout (i.e., 'Regulation Wins'). This figure is reflected in the RW column.
  3. The greater number of games won, excluding games won by Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column.
  4. The greater number of games won by the Club in any manner (i.e., 'Total Wins'). This figure is reflected in the W column.
  5. The greater number of points earned in games against each other among two or more tied clubs. For the purpose of determining standing for two or more Clubs that have not played an even number of games with one or more of the other tied Clubs, the first game played in the city that has the extra game (the 'odd game') shall not be included. When more than two Clubs are tied, the percentage of available points earned in games among each other (and not including any 'odd games') shall be used to determine standing.
  6. The greater differential between goals for and against (including goals scored in Overtime or awarded for prevailing in Shootouts) for the entire regular season. This figure is reflected in the DIFF column.
  7. The greater number of goals scored (including goals scored in Overtime or awarded for prevailing in Shootouts) for the entire regular season. This figure is reflected in the GF column.
NOTE: In standings a victory in a shootout counts as one goal for, while a shootout loss counts as one goal against.

Reactions: paragon and Lshap

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
So going by above, Washington can’t have a tiebreaker over Philly if Philly beats them on Tuesday.

Assuming for a second Washington wins in regulation Monday, bringing them to 89 pts, and Philly wins in regulation Tuesday;
Tied in pts (89)
Tied in RW (31)
Tied in ROW(35)
Tied in total wins (39)
Ties in H2H points (4-4. First game doesn’t count since only three were played)
Philly wins in goal diff (unless something historic happens-they own a 15 goal edge here)

paragon

May 5, 2010
So going by above, Washington can’t have a tiebreaker over Philly if Philly beats them on Tuesday.

Assuming for a second Washington wins in regulation Monday, bringing them to 89 pts, and Philly wins in regulation Tuesday;
Tied in pts (89)
Tied in RW (31)
Tied in ROW(35)
Tied in total wins (39)
Ties in H2H points (4-4. First game doesn’t count since only three were played)
Philly wins in goal diff (unless something historic happens-they own a 15 goal edge here)
Would be pretty amazing if goal differential actually was the deciding factor. Would it be the first time in history?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad