Playoff Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
You really think the Isles are only a good goalie away from being a Cup contender? Because that's essentially what you're saying -- Tavares' decision to stay because he thinks the Isles are a good goalie away from contending.

I'd argue that Tavares and his camp, if they're evaluating the roster, would also see the massive gaping hole on defense as an issue more so than whether or not Raantta or Halak is their #1 goalie.

i like our youthful D, and think that this year's experience is important. most players really begin coming into their own, by the 3rd year, and i see Pulock and Pelech as ready. we've seen their good qualities, mixed with many 'rookie' errors, and i think next season, they really start to shine. De Haan is still part of this team, and if Snow can sign him to a reasonable contract, D will not be an issue for years to come. i agree that we are missing that #1, but i think Leddy is a decent #2, and De Haan, Boychuk, Pelech and Pulock, are solid 2nd pairing guys. Davidson, Mayfield, Toews and Aho in and out of the lineup, depending on who we play, and injuries.

and i like the state of our forwards. i would turf Nelson for a pick, go with the same top 6 (Bellows and JHS as depth), have Ladd/CC/CC as our 3rd line, and make due with RJ/Prince/Quine/Fritz/Wagner for our 4th. tell Doug to stop trying to make 4 roll-able lines. use the 4th line sparingly, 7-9 minutes a game.

to me, the massive gaping hole, is in between the pipes. both goalies were horrible this year. add in Weight's passive system, which i hate, and we looked like an AHL on many nights.

i don't believe that money is an issue, so i will exclude it from the discussion.

so, let me change it a bit. if Snow adds a top goalie, AND he adds a well respected, winning coach (or Weight goes back to the system that worked. personally, i am done with Weight, but he's proven that he can win with this group), by July 1st, JT stays.

Last edited:

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
The same CDH whose as fragile as a Faberge egg?
Hardly fragile - He has played 65, 72, 82 games in past three years. Davidson, on the other hand has been on the IR several times in the past three years: knee, concussion, upper body, and has played far fewer games.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You really think the Isles are only a good goalie away from being a Cup contender? Because that's essentially what you're saying -- Tavares' decision to stay because he thinks the Isles are a good goalie away from contending.

I'd argue that Tavares and his camp, if they're evaluating the roster, would also see the massive gaping hole on defense as an issue more so than whether or not Raantta or Halak is their #1 goalie.
The talent at D isn't going to remind anyone of the 90's Devils but I think the horrible anti-system made it 10 times worse. If the D this year had any structure and was merely bad instead of arguably the worst in the modern era (which I would say started in 1991 with the addition of the Sharks) the Isles are in a playoff spot, and probably comfortably so.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
1 - 5 - 4 for 6 points in our last 10 games. Worst in the league
Looks like we will need a Dubielwicz miracle to erase this playoff puke.. The fans deserve better.

LGI SMFG WMFG

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
When they're mathematically eliminated the thread will be closed. Until then, stop asking why it's open.

Reactions: france62

Reijo29

Feb 8, 2015
This is by far my favorite thread on this site. This was a ridiculous premise two months ago. Now ? Bahahahahahahaha

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Although Garth Snow says it was about the injuries, it was clearly about the league adjusting to us, and oddly you have to go back to a game against lowly Buffalo to see when that happened in December.

Garth's biggest problem as a GM was never hiring a "real" coach and the coaching carousel was never outside the organization so one can say that we have had the same coach for the whole time. Gordon was from another organization but he was relieved by Capuano the AHL coach who was working with Gordon, then Cappy was fired and replaced by his assistant.. which means this team has had no outside perspective since they drafted JT

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Although Garth Snow says it was about the injuries, it was clearly about the league adjusting to us, and oddly you have to go back to a game against lowly Buffalo to see when that happened in December.

Garth's biggest problem as a GM was never hiring a "real" coach and the coaching carousel was never outside the organization so one can say that we have had the same coach for the whole time. Gordon was from another organization but he was relieved by Capuano the AHL coach who was working with Gordon, then Cappy was fired and replaced by his assistant.. which means this team has had no outside perspective since they drafted JT
Some coaches are not good "in game" coaches because they can't counter when other teams adjust. Unfortunately, Weight is not a good "in season" coach.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Hockey in October and November is drastically different from hockey in January onward. Weight wanted to run and gun, then did a reversal by playing guys who couldn't play that style because they are more "responsible" thinking that would solve the defensive woes. It didn't and it messed the offense, and it took way too long for him to adjust the defensive structure of the team. He misdiagnosed a structural problem, thinking it was just a rut, then ran out of ideas.

Reactions: MJF

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015

He would never hire a real coach because a real coach would actually challenge him. Snow just wants his yes men.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I easily see this team losing the next 4 - tonight at Washington, Sunday home to Carolina, and then Pittsburgh and Tampa next week.

I think it should happen now, but by next week the team/staff should acknowledge the playoffs are out of reach and they should look to next season.

See what you have in Gibson and play the kids to see what you have.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Hockey in October and November is drastically different from hockey in January onward. Weight wanted to run and gun, then did a reversal by playing guys who couldn't play that style because they are more "responsible" thinking that would solve the defensive woes. It didn't and it messed the offense, and it took way too long for him to adjust the defensive structure of the team. He misdiagnosed a structural problem, thinking it was just a rut, then ran out of ideas.

There was a fateful game against Buffalo where the tricks suddenly stopped working and we had no space to do anything and no ability to gain entry into the O Zone, that was the turning point and I believe we may have won that game 4-3

SI

Feb 16, 2013
This thread really needs to be changed now - chances of making the playoffs .02%.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Columbus (83 points)
Philly (83 points)
And Devils (82 points) all won today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad