OT: Playoff Push Avatars - Make your requests!

BroadwayJay*

Cynicism ≠ Sarcasm. The board voted and this is what we wanted. No you is forcing you to participate.

although it can be a nice experience in life to let go of your personal inhibitions and jump on board with someone else's worldview for the duration of a playoff

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
This is not cynicism. Rather, it is parody; a well known and beloved form of humor.

May not be your cup of tea, but it is certainly humor.

So someone has Pulock with "No single goalie can stop it". I don't think that's parody. It's not really funny, it's just an exaggeration on the power of his shot and almost true. Why does that become an avatar when the one I requested for Frans is funny to me because all over these boards (and the main boards) people say Frans Nielsen is overrated and underrated in the same breath?

So now I have to campaign for an avatar to be created?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Cynicism ≠ Sarcasm. The board voted and this is what we wanted. No you is forcing you to participate.

Right no one is forcing me to participate, nor allowing me lol.

If people's avatars aren't being created because the creator "doesn't think it meets his criteria" then why did he even make any and accept being the winner of the poll?

Last year people had all kinds of avatars and the creator made everything that was asked for. There wasn't some screening process because last I checked this is a community for fans to support the Islanders, not get blackballed like clicks in high school.

BroadwayJay*

So someone has Pulock with "No single goalie can stop it". I don't think that's parody. It's not really funny, it's just an exaggeration on the power of his shot and almost true. Why does that become an avatar when the one I requested for Frans is funny to me because all over these boards (and the main boards) people say Frans Nielsen is overrated and underrated in the same breath?

So now I have to campaign for an avatar to be created?

Why are you getting worked up?

Do you want the Pulock one to be funnier? Suggest something funnier.

RDC isn't your employee. He is a guy volunteering to make playoff avatars for us internet people. A majority of your fellow fans loved his work and have decided we want his work to be the one we use.

He has a theme to it, which to me is obvious parody, and he has created a series of very funny avatars. We are fortunate for the two dozen or so he's already made. I'm sorry you feel you shouldn't have to campaign for him to do this labor for you, but ultimately you're asking him to do something that doesn't fit with his vision for his design. That's all there is to it. Think of something funny that fits the model if you want him to create it for you.

BroadwayJay*

If people's avatars aren't being created because the creator "doesn't think it meets his criteria" then why did he even make any and accept being the winner of the poll?

Last year people had all kinds of avatars and the creator made everything that was asked for. There wasn't some screening process because last I checked this is a community for fans to support the Islanders, not get blackballed like clicks in high school.

Do you see a Matt Donovan avatar? Neither do I. Nevertheless, I found a way to participate.

Take a step back here. He is the artist. You shouldn't demand that he cover up the Banksy with a fresh coat of white paint.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015

There is no reason to get this worked up over an avatar. RDC doesn't owe you anything and if he doesn't want to make it it's his right to not do so. He isn't your slave. Hot playoff avatar taek.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Why are you getting worked up?

Do you want the Pulock one to be funnier? Suggest something funnier.

RDC isn't your employee. He is a guy volunteering to make playoff avatars for us internet people. A majority of your fellow fans loved his work and have decided we want his work to be the one we use.

He has a theme to it, which to me is obvious parody, and he has created a series of very funny avatars. We are fortunate for the two dozen or so he's already made. I'm sorry you feel you shouldn't have to campaign for him to do this labor for you, but ultimately you're asking him to do something that doesn't fit with his vision for his design. That's all there is to it. Think of something funny that fits the model if you want him to create it for you.

I just want to know why something that's obviously not parody, is allowed if it's the theme. There are several that aren't parody. I'm not getting worked up. I just can't believe the attitude that "even though I am making avatars, won the poll and accepted the job, I won't make yours unless I find it funny under certain humor guidelines." That reeks of, "i'm just not going to make you one at all".

Perhaps I can get some more guidelines since parody is obviously NOT a requirement.

BroadwayJay*

Just another note on this

If last year you'd asked AYFS to make you a Rick Nash avatar he would have said no, I imagine.

Why? Because it didn't fit our theme (Islander players featured as Taylor Swift in her seminal album 1989)

BroadwayJay*

I just want to know why something that's obviously not parody, is allowed if it's the theme. There are several that aren't parody. I'm not getting worked up. I just can't believe the attitude that "even though I am making avatars, won the poll and accepted the job, I won't make yours unless I find it funny under certain humor guidelines." That reeks of, "i'm just not going to make you one at all".

Perhaps I can get some more guidelines since parody is obviously NOT a requirement.

It is not a job.

Also, he has refused to make MANY of them for MANY people, it certainly isn't just you.

I see the humor in all of them, I think, including the Pulock one. I can explain it to you, if you like.

BroadwayJay*

Requirements:

1) Islanders

2) Clever

3) Parody

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Guys, I have a job and a family. I'll make avatars, I just don't always have time to open Photoshop and start making them. There's nothing personal.

The Pulock one was a little sarcasm based on a post made by the requester of the avatar. There's parody involved in that one, just a little inside humor, I guess... Just a fun dig at him. I have it on my list to change his to his request.

Also, this as far from cynicism as you can get. If anything, it's poking fun at the cynicism often exhibited on these boards. We're Isles fans. If we can't laugh at ourselves, we can't laugh at anything. I do understand that this type of humor isn't for everyone. It's dry and some people don't like that. I get it. That's why I wanted it put up for vote rather than having a couple prominent posters decide.

I will get to everyone's unless I straight up forget. I do, however, reserve the right to deny the guy who asked for "The Frans". I mean, come on.

Last edited:

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Come on now, RDC didn't accept a "job". He isn't getting paid or compensated for his efforts, and on the main board many are complimenting us on the quality. Your options are:

1. Take an existing one
2. Come up with other slogans til you get one that clicks
3. Keep your old avatar

On another note, when are the Oiler fans going to debut their playoff avatars? They're really slacking behind in that department...

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Come on now, RDC didn't accept a "job". He isn't getting paid or compensated for his efforts, and on the main board many are complimenting us on the quality. Your options are:

1. Take an existing one
2. Come up with other slogans til you get one that clicks
3. Keep your old avatar

On another note, when are the Oiler fans going to debut their playoff avatars? They're really slacking behind in that department...

Now that's funny!

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
b9CwKVB.gif
nextBCK.gif

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Or don't view cynicism as a form of humor....

Guess i'll just pass on this since it's turned into soup Nazi from Seinfeld.

That was a very good yet light hearted lampoon.

But it worked for the gangs in The Warriors.

The Warriors. lol

No lie though Richie, that is good work.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
RDC, I requested one on pg 11 off KO decking Niskanen from when he was with the Pens, but for some reason I can't paste the pic into here. Ca you grab it from that link and make an avatar for me?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Guys, I have a job and a family. I'll make avatars, I just don't always have time to open Photoshop and start making them. There's nothing personal.

The Pulock one was a little sarcasm based on a post made by the requester of the avatar. There's parody involved in that one, just a little inside humor, I guess... Just a fun dig at him. I have it on my list to change his to his request.

Also, this as far from cynicism as you can get. If anything, it's poking fun at the cynicism often exhibited on these boards. We're Isles fans. If we can't laugh at ourselves, we can't laugh at anything. I do understand that this type of humor isn't for everyone. It's dry and some people don't like that. I get it. That's why I wanted it put up for vote rather than having a couple prominent posters decide.

I will get to everyone's unless I straight up forget. I do, however, reserve the right to deny the guy who asked for "The Frans". I mean, come on.

Fair enough...it should be fun I'll stop whining lol...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad