Playoff Performers Voting Record - seventieslord

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Because there is obviously euros whos been great playoff performers ofc. Now I understand there will be more north americans due to euros not being seriously introduced until the 80s but still. Take Jagr for example. 5th in all-time points after the Oilers click in the modern era. And hes not even on the list.

The problem is, we had to name 60 players comprised in a timespan between Frank McGee and Patrick Kane.

Obviously, the players comprised in the timespan between Jari Kurri and Evgeni Malkin, and who, as a group, amounted to, what, 45% of the active period during that timespan, will be in the minority. I would've liked to have 20 Europeans on my list... but that would probably involve working with a 120-players list instead of a 60-players one. And even then...

I understand somehow Euros and Goalies always gets undersold in rankings. Not to mention defensive defenseman. As a guy who watched Adam Foote alot, was he ever mentioned in this? Because that guy was an absolute beast in the playoffs but obviously hard to quantify.

Why would Adam Foote even come up for discussion? It was a list of the top 40 playoff performers of all-time, not the top 40 since 1995.

...Yeah, Foote's suggestion is out of nowhere.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I'm kinda glad I wasn't on this project because it's really hard and, according to my own opinion, also a bit boring. This particular list wasn't necessarily boring, but the whole project kinda was. It's too hard to really get around the fact that team matters very much, and to quantify players from that perspective.

I know this isn't relevant to this particular list, or even the final list, but Justin Williams and Claude Lemieux weren't better playoff performers than Trevor Linden or Pavel Bure, in my opinion. Too opportunistic and playing on the right teams at the right times, for my taste. They had big game qualities though, don't get me wrong.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Except when consensus is represented by the HHOF voting which you do not agree with and embark on a mission to throw out honoured members.

Defensive play and scoring are not mutually exclusive as illustrated on many occassions by quality defensive forwards from Nighbor to Crosby.

That's right, I value the consensus here more than I value the HHOF consensus, and I'll never apologize for that.

The forwards I typically see as unqualified inductees are one dimensional forwards whose offensive ability is far less than their career totals indicate - Andreychuk, Ciccarelli, Nieuwendyk, etc - not guys for whom defense is a significant part of their record.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I was higher on Lidstrom than most.

Hasek - not so much. His playoffs are ok but nothing spectacular. A lot of goalies have better playoff resumes than he does all time.

Regular season? Nope. Hasek would almost surely be #1.

Elias? Let's be serious....hes pretty good but not top 40 all time imo.

What I meant with both Elias and Foote was that they should be in the discussion. Not perhaps getting into the top-40.

And I mention Foote as an example of pure defensive defensemen that wont even get a chance. I couldve easily said Langway if I wanted to win a popularity contest around here.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
What I meant with both Elias and Foote was that they should be in the discussion. Not perhaps getting into the top-40.

And I mention Foote as an example of pure defensive defensemen that wont even get a chance. I couldve easily said Langway if I wanted to win a popularity contest around here.

Is someone pirating your account or something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad