55 | Ted Lindsay | |
56 | Peter Forsberg | |
57 | Cy Denneny | |
58 | Chris Pronger | |
59 | Martin Brodeur | |
60 | Eddie Gerard | |

Round 2

Vote | 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th
1 | Roy | Gretzky | Beliveau | Richard | Harvey | Howe | Messier | Lafleur | Potvin | Orr
3 | Lafleur | Geoffrion | Sakic | Bossy | Richard | Orr | Trottier | Kelly | Lemieux | Forsberg
6 | Fedorov | Gilmour | Crosby | Boucher | Esposito | Bourque | Parent | Hull | Stevens | Mahovlich
7 | Pronger | Bourque | Hull | Coffey | Fedorov | Foyston | Parent | McGee | Morenz | Benedict

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

.... :laugh: what's so "boring" about it MXD?.... you mean "safe, conservative"? Looks solid to me. Dont agree with some of the rankings, order but I see the rationale.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Nah, its just that I cant remember any project where I didnt post "boring" for 70'ies stuff.

Though I admit that I really didnt expect him to end up ranking Moore better than anybody else did, even if 24 is actually reasonable.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The guy you had ranked 58 jumped over the guy you had ranked 16 on your voting ballot. What made you rank Parent so high initially?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
To be fair, 70s beats a pretty loud drum here. He's a big part of the "standard" that has been established. So, naturally, his stuff won't look too "out of whack"...

To be clear, while he is not without sin I'm sure, I mean the above to be a positive comment...

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Defensive Hockey

To be fair, 70s beats a pretty loud drum here. He's a big part of the "standard" that has been established. So, naturally, his stuff won't look too "out of whack"...

To be clear, while he is not without sin I'm sure, I mean the above to be a positive comment...

As in virtually no appreciation or understanding of defensive hockey.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I wouldve ranked H.Richard a lot higher (a LOT) and no sign of Dave Keon?.... 70's?... why-u-do-dat?:)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The guy you had ranked 58 jumped over the guy you had ranked 16 on your voting ballot. What made you rank Parent so high initially?

I guess compelling cases and the fact that I never once looked back to my original list.

Yeah that's fair. Although I think it's more like I respect consensus more than I go about trying to hammer it out. In any case, my lists tend to reflect consensus.

As in virtually no appreciation or understanding of defensive hockey.

Yeah, sorry for rating elite scorers ahead of defensive forwards like everyone else.

I wouldve ranked H.Richard a lot higher (a LOT) and no sign of Dave Keon?.... 70's?... why-u-do-dat?:)

What can I say, it's a really short list and the history of hockey is very long.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I dont agree that one of the best playoff performers during the O6 is so low. Gordie Howe. Also very N. American heavy.

Edit: Oh and I think the list is fine except for those small details.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Yeah that's fair. Although I think it's more like I respect consensus more than I go about trying to hammer it out. In any case, my lists tend to reflect consensus.

Yeah, sorry for rating elite scorers ahead of defensive forwards like everyone else.

Except when consensus is represented by the HHOF voting which you do not agree with and embark on a mission to throw out honoured members.

Defensive play and scoring are not mutually exclusive as illustrated on many occassions by quality defensive forwards from Nighbor to Crosby.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I dont agree that one of the best playoff performers during the O6 is so low. Gordie Howe. Also very N. American heavy.

Edit: Oh and I think the list is fine except for those small details.

Eh.... considering the nature of the project, how can it NOT be N. American heavy?

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I repeat : how can lists not be N.American Heavy?

Because there is obviously euros whos been great playoff performers ofc. Now I understand there will be more north americans due to euros not being seriously introduced until the 80s but still. Take Jagr for example. 5th in all-time points after the Oilers click in the modern era. And hes not even on the list.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Because there is obviously euros whos been great playoff performers ofc. Now I understand there will be more north americans due to euros not being seriously introduced until the 80s but still. Take Jagr for example. 5th in all-time points after the Oilers click in the modern era. And hes not even on the list.

...a spot I believe he took from Brett Hull (190 points) who at one point was the leading scorer in a playoff (something Jagr wasn't) and only made half the lists and never became eligible. Would there be any impetus to have Jagr over contemporary RW Brett Hull?

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
...a spot I believe he took from Brett Hull (190 points) who at one point was the leading scorer in a playoff (something Jagr wasn't) and only made half the lists and never became eligible. Would there be any impetus to have Jagr over contemporary RW Brett Hull?

Maybe not, Im too depressed to get into a deeper convo about those two but are you really gonna fault Jagr for not leading the playoffs when playing on the same team as Lemieux? Ill aslo throw in Elias name in there and say that Lidström and Hasek are way too low for what they accomplished.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

The popular narrative here on the boards is that Jagr is a playoff underachiever for not somehow leading the firesale Penguins farther in the playoffs during his prime.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
The popular narrative here on the boards is that Jagr is a playoff underachiever for not somehow leading the firesale Penguins farther in the playoffs during his prime.

I understand somehow Euros and Goalies always gets undersold in rankings. Not to mention defensive defenseman. As a guy who watched Adam Foote alot, was he ever mentioned in this? Because that guy was an absolute beast in the playoffs but obviously hard to quantify.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I understand somehow Euros and Goalies always gets undersold in rankings. Not to mention defensive defenseman. As a guy who watched Adam Foote alot, was he ever mentioned in this? Because that guy was an absolute beast in the playoffs but obviously hard to quantify.

Why would Adam Foote even come up for discussion? It was a list of the top 40 playoff performers of all-time, not the top 40 since 1995.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Maybe not, Im too depressed to get into a deeper convo about those two but are you really gonna fault Jagr for not leading the playoffs when playing on the same team as Lemieux? Ill aslo throw in Elias name in there and say that Lidström and Hasek are way too low for what they accomplished.

I was higher on Lidstrom than most.

Hasek - not so much. His playoffs are ok but nothing spectacular. A lot of goalies have better playoff resumes than he does all time.

Regular season? Nope. Hasek would almost surely be #1.

Elias? Let's be serious....hes pretty good but not top 40 all time imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad