Bertuzzi Matthews Domi
McMann Tavares Marner
Knies Nylander Jarnkrok
Dewar Kampf Reeves

Rielly Edmundson
Brodie Boosh
Benoit McCabe

I think Lilly is injured long term
I would just flip Knies and McMann but otherwise I think this is the most balanced lineup given current chemistries.

The ultimate question will be if they run Woll or Sammy. I think they’ll do Sammy out of a weird sense of entitlement but to me it has to be Woll.

Better statistically and they need to show trust in him as our goalie of the future moving forward.

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
Forwards:

(With a checking line)

1. Bertuzzi Matthews Nylander
Bertuzzi can make room for the other two to dance, this group should be strong on the boards and in front of the net.

2. Domi Tavares Marner
Domi provides some speed and would need to help JT with the board work and forecheck. Marner can provide defensive stability to the line and hopefully get the most offence out of JT.

3. Holmberg Kampf Jarnkrok
I think this would be our strongest option for a shut-down line. Not physical, very limited offence, but a reliable blanket.

4. Knies Dewar McMann
This would be a great 4th line/energy line. These three all score individual effort goals and provide some grit.

(With three scoring lines)
1. Domi Matthews Marner
This line initially looks soft, but Matthews usually plays more physically in the playoffs. Domi and Marner provide plenty of distribution for him.

2. Bertuzzi Tavares McMann
A really heavy line that could create a lot of pressure and cycle in the O-zone. Gives a different look to the offence.

3. Jarnkrok Holmberg Nylander
Sneaky fast with good balance of offence and defense. Maybe they can get some secret Swedish code talk going.

4. Knies Dewar Reeves (Gregor)
I think Knies will be well suited to 4th line and maybe some PP2 time. Limited, higher intensity minutes may be in his favour. Reeves for added toughness but may not be needed every game due to our added muscle on the blueline. Gregor does provide a lot of speed.

I see Robertson as an option in case someone gets injured.

Defense:
Rielly Lyubushkin
Benoit McCabe
Edmundson Liljegren

Brodie is the 7th D-man. I like Brodie's experience, but I think we're better off with more physicality than Brodie provides. I prefer him as an alternative to both Gio (left side) and Timmins (right side).

Goalies:
Samsonov
Woll

Let Samsonov start, he's been sharper lately.

Reactions: aingefan

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If I had any say (healthy):

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok
Holmberg-Kampf-Dewar/Reaves

Rielly-Lyubushkin
Benoit-McCabe
Edmundson-Liljegren

Samsonov
I'm not sure Knies has earned a spot on the top line, and I like what I've seen with Bert and Domi there recently. I'd be interested in something like:

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Nylander-Marner
Knies-Tavares-Jarnkrok

Or if you don't like Willy at centre:

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Marner
McMann-Domi-Nylander
Knies-Tavares-Jarnkrok

Reactions: arso40

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Rielly - Lyubushkin
Benoit - McCabe
Brodie - Edmundson

No one, even Jesus himself, could predict the forward lines. Keefe doesn't know, the players don't know, no one knows. Whatever they start at wont be the lines the next game. Not sure what kind of strategy that is but alright Keefer.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Forwards:

(With a checking line)

1. Bertuzzi Matthews Nylander
Bertuzzi can make room for the other two to dance, this group should be strong on the boards and in front of the net.

2. Domi Tavares Marner
Domi provides some speed and would need to help JT with the board work and forecheck. Marner can provide defensive stability to the line and hopefully get the most offence out of JT.

3. Holmberg Kampf Jarnkrok
I think this would be our strongest option for a shut-down line. Not physical, very limited offence, but a reliable blanket.

4. Knies Dewar McMann
This would be a great 4th line/energy line. These three all score individual effort goals and provide some grit.
Cool combos, but feel like Marner and Domi should be supporting different lines.

Domi will make plays going north south, Marner will make plays going east west, JT will try to score from everywhere but probably gets shut down as Domi basically won't shoot and Marner is similar, but not as bad.

Both kinda small too.

Reactions: Clyde Brewer

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Snot1/Matthews/Marner
Snot2/Tavares/Nylander
Chump/Chump/Chump
Chump/Chump/Chump

The first two lines will each play approximately 20-25 mins a game. I know this because of history. The chumps might sniff the ice five minutes a night if they're lucky.

Their only job is to hope they don't get scored on while the real stars rest.

Keefe's entire strategy is to play the crap out of the studs. If that doesn't work just play them some more. When things go stale he might galaxy brain it and swap Nylander and Marner around.

But when you pay half your cap to four forwards you can be sure they'll be the ones relied on to produce.

The chumps all play meaningless dud roles. Only the studs are important. Whichever one of the meatsticks lucky enough to play beside the most appropriately compensated hockey players in the world is doesn't really matter.

If they screw up there’s a whole slew of mediocre NHLers waiting to step in and do just as bad.

• Haha
Reactions: egd27

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
Cool combos, but feel like Marner and Domi should be supporting different lines.

Domi will make plays going north south, Marner will make plays going east west, JT will try to score from everywhere but probably gets shut down as Domi basically won't shoot and Marner is similar, but not as bad.

Both kinda small too.

Thanks, and I agree. I don't know if Domi and Marner can compliment each other. However, I really like the bottom 2 lines and I didn't want Bertuzzi with JT because they both provide similar net front abilities. I wanted Marner with JT as a catalyst for JT's offense. And, Domi adds much needed speed to the lineup. I've also separated Matthew's and Marner, who I feel are the best defensive players on their respective lines.

Reactions: ACC1224 and LeafEgo

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I don't think it matters folks.

That Jersey game told me so much. The nature of this team hasn't changed one iota. They have the same heartless, selfish and undisciplined "leaders" who have "failed to launch." Like you folks I was so full of hope and so excited about this teams future, I was practically counting the SCs. However slowly but surely the true nature of some of those players started to reveal itself. The GM from what I could see, wanted to be one of the guys and so didn't do the franchise any favours when getting people to buy in.

I dont see anyone stepping up in the absence of some regulars which goes to character. Winning is what they're supposed to do and what they're supposed to want, but I don't see it with these guys. I dont think I'd care a whole bunch nor sacrifice myself for guys who only seem to care about themselves and the goals they might score.

I think they need to cut out the rot and start over.

If they make it to the 2nd round I might be back
1/3 of the team is missing for this game....all mixed up D pairings, and you are using that as your chefs kiss that nothing matters.

Do better, be better than this.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I was mulling about the Leafs playoff lineup and I don’t think Knies’ situation is as locked in as one might think. Now this might seem silly to even question given he’s played the majority of the year with significant time in the top six, and he was in the playoff lineup last year. This year however, the Leafs are deeper at LW with Bertuzzi finding his game, Domi doing the same and looking as good on the wing as he does at centre, and the emergence of McMann. Last season we were pretty desperate for LW scoring depth and while Knies performed great it was really unfair to expect that of him.

Of the forwards that have seen time with the Leafs, imo these 10 players have a guaranteed spot if health allows.

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Marner
Domi-Tavares-Nylander
McMann-Kampf-Jarnkrok
Dewar

That leaves Gregor, Holmberg, Knies, Reaves, and Robertson to fill out the final 2 spots, assuming the Leafs don’t go 11 and 7 like they did at points last year in the postseason.

Gregor is the most obvious out. He’s good in case injuries pile up but he’s not very effective and even with decent underlying numbers on the PK he’s been eliminated from that role as Dewar, McMann, and Holmberg have stepped up there. Holmberg can play centre so that’s a point in his favour. Reaves is a physical force and is playing well enough that you’d be fine with him on the fourth line.

Robertson scores goals at a higher rate than Knies but is nowhere near as physical of course. Both are poor defensively with maybe a slight edge to Knies. Knies is also built better for a bottom six role, like if Keefe wants to run McMann-Kampf-Knies he’d be well suited for that.

Long rambly rant, but my main point is that it’s no guarantee that come puck drop of Game 1 Knies is playing. It also shouldn’t be shocking if a 21 year old is a healthy scratch alongside the 22 year old.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
I was mulling about the Leafs playoff lineup and I don’t think Knies’ situation is as locked in as one might think. Now this might seem silly to even question given he’s played the majority of the year with significant time in the top six, and he was in the playoff lineup last year. This year however, the Leafs are deeper at LW with Bertuzzi finding his game, Domi doing the same and looking as good on the wing as he does at centre, and the emergence of McMann. Last season we were pretty desperate for LW scoring depth and while Knies performed great it was really unfair to expect that of him.

Of the forwards that have seen time with the Leafs, imo these 10 players have a guaranteed spot if health allows.

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Marner
Domi-Tavares-Nylander
McMann-Kampf-Jarnkrok
Dewar

That leaves Gregor, Holmberg, Knies, Reaves, and Robertson to fill out the final 2 spots, assuming the Leafs don’t go 11 and 7 like they did at points last year in the postseason.

Gregor is the most obvious out. He’s good in case injuries pile up but he’s not very effective and even with decent underlying numbers on the PK he’s been eliminated from that role as Dewar, McMann, and Holmberg have stepped up there. Holmberg can play centre so that’s a point in his favour. Reaves is a physical force and is playing well enough that you’d be fine with him on the fourth line.

Robertson scores goals at a higher rate than Knies but is nowhere near as physical of course. Both are poor defensively with maybe a slight edge to Knies. Knies is also built better for a bottom six role, like if Keefe wants to run McMann-Kampf-Knies he’d be well suited for that.

Long rambly rant, but my main point is that it’s no guarantee that come puck drop of Game 1 Knies is playing. It also shouldn’t be shocking if a 21 year old is a healthy scratch alongside the 22 year old.

I'm honestly not sold on Dewar. He's very vanilla, I wouldn't say his spot is necessarily set in stone.

I would run:

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi
Mcmann - Tavares- Nylander
Knies - Holmberg - Marner
Jarnkrok - Kampf - Dewar/Reaves

Out - Gregor, Robertson. This is as a huge fan of Robbie

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I'm honestly not sold on Dewar. He's very vanilla, I wouldn't say his spot is necessarily set in stone.

I would run:

Dewar has been meh I agree, but Keefe has been heavily relying on him on the PK since he was acquired which is why I think he comes out ahead of the other fringe guys.

I’d be pretty happy with that lineup. Have some concerns about line 3 but hopefully Mitch there instead of Robertson helps defensively.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

I would run:

Dewar has one job. The PK. More minutes to Dewar = less given to Marner.

BlackAdam

May 5, 2013
Reaves should absolutely not be playing in the playoffs. I can just imagine his line getting caved in and he then ices the puck and gets stuck against the opposition's top line for a goal against.

Reactions: KapG and sxvnert

Stevie28

Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
D pairings are a bit easier so… Something like this, tho Brodie playing better since the scratch has made it more didficult

rielly lybushkin
mccabe benoit
edmundson liljegren/brodie

Forwards im torn between two options:

bertuzzi matthews domi
mcmann tavares nylander
knies holmberg marner
jarnkrok kampf robertson/reaves/fregor

The more the top line clicks the more i want to go with them but there is also

bertuzzi matthews marner
mcmann tavares nylander
knies domi Jarnkrok
holmberg kampf robertson/reaves/gregor

I’m not sure which would be best. But our team has come together at the perfect time, and we have depth at every position, so finally I have optimism going into the playoffs! Go leafs go! :)

Excuse the typos. Posting on your phone with all the ads these days doesn’t make it easy lol

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
D pairings are a bit easier so… Something like this, tho Brodie playing better since the scratch has made it more didficult

rielly lybushkin
mccabe benoit
edmundson liljegren/brodie

Forwards im torn between two options:

bertuzzi matthews domi
mcmann tavares nylander
knies holmberg marner
jarnkrok kampf robertson/reaves/fregor

The more the top line clicks the more i want to go with them but there is also

bertuzzi matthews marner
mcmann tavares nylander
knies domi Jarnkrok
holmberg kampf robertson/reaves/gregor

I’m not sure which would be best. But our team has come together at the perfect time, and we have depth at every position, so finally I have optimism going into the playoffs! Go leafs go! :)

Excuse the typos. Posting on your phone with all the ads these days doesn’t make it easy lol
If you want to draw up forward lines, the first rule should be to not put Tavares and Nylander together.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The only D core that can stand up to the Panthers/Bruins is:

Rielly Boosh
Benoit McCabe
Edmundson Timmins

The rest (Liljegren, Gio, Brodie) can easily be targeted and taken advantage of.

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto

I would run:

How you gonna run Reaves out there 😭🤣

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
When healthy, Keefe will most likely take out Holmberg for Ryan Reaves for game 1 and the everyone will collectively lose their shits

Reactions: sxvnert

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I would run:

He's been great on the PK and I think we need more of that. He's just a solid defensive player.

Reaves has been so much better in recent weeks/months and he's got a ton of swagger but at the end of the day, you can't play him over forwards that can actually contribute in roles. He's still just a slow player that throws a decent hit once in awhile. It hurts to sit out both Robertson and/or Holmberg already since they can actually make plays offensively.

Keefe has some tough decisions to make for Game 1 if the Leafs are 100% healthy.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He's been great on the PK and I think we need more of that. He's just a solid defensive player.

Reaves has been so much better in recent weeks/months and he's got a ton of swagger but at the end of the day, you can't play him over forwards that can actually contribute in roles. He's still just a slow player that throws a decent hit once in awhile. It hurts to sit out both Robertson and/or Holmberg already since they can actually make plays offensively.

Keefe has some tough decisions to make for Game 1 if the Leafs are 100% healthy.
You are right. Dewar has been very good on the PK, an area we have been hurting on, until he made the lineup.

The reality is that Jarnkrok and Marner back in, means two players are out... and frankly, nobody really deserves to sit at this point. Reaves is my first guy out, but even he has played hard, and contributed.

I really don't know who sits from there.. I think it has to be Holmberg. Robertson has 4 points, 3 goals in his last five games... how do you sit that? Holmberg has one assist.... we just need that depth scoring. I really like Holmberg though...

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I really hope Keefe doesn't break up the Matthews line when Marner comes back. They've been fantastic together and should stay intact going into the playoffs.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Have you met Keefe
I have met Keefe, through minor hockey - seems like a nice guy, and he was approachable and cool. :thumbu:

In the past, I'd agree with you about him being stubborn . . . but job uncertainty changes everything. As has been shown with many lineup changes this season he has been much more concerned with who can help the Leafs win RIGHT NOW, as opposed to people pleasing, ego soothing, not ruffling feathers.

I believe that if Keefe thinks Benoit should be in instead of Lyubushkin, he'll do it. But I think it's likely they're both in for the first game . . . past that, will go game to game and how everyone is playing/injuries etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad