Toronto
Bert - Matthews - Domi
McMann - JT - Nylander
Jankrok - Holmberg - Marner
Dewar - Kampf - Knies

Moe - Boosh
McCabe - Beniot
Brodie - Edmonnson.

With how the top line has been playing and the chemistry they have shown together, I think it would be a mistake to break them up now. I also think it's time to break up the heavy top 6 and try and let Marner feast on the other teams lower pairings, it becomes a matchup hell for the other coach and he's the player out of the core 4 that can carry any line. I doubt this will actually happen but it's what I would go with.

I don't think Keefe scratches Brodie for the playoffs.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I think Reaves will be in the lineup and honestly deserves to be. I think its between brodie and benoit and I think benoit is the choice to make.

The big question is breaking up the top line. Keefe will because he doesnt trust domi or bertuzzi. Matthews needs to be playing and will be playing against big time players especially in tight games and when defending since he is IMO our best defensive forward.

Bertuzzi Matthews Marner
Knies Domi Nylander
McMann Tavares Jarnkrok
Dewar Kampf Reaves

Rielly Lybushkin
Benoit McCabe
Edmundson Liljegren

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
He's been great on the PK and I think we need more of that. He's just a solid defensive player.

Reaves has been so much better in recent weeks/months and he's got a ton of swagger but at the end of the day, you can't play him over forwards that can actually contribute in roles. He's still just a slow player that throws a decent hit once in awhile. It hurts to sit out both Robertson and/or Holmberg already since they can actually make plays offensively.

Keefe has some tough decisions to make for Game 1 if the Leafs are 100% healthy.
It's a good problem to have.

To me Kampf and Dewar bring the same elements vanilla penalty killers, who are reliable in their own end. Knies and Robertson are good offensive options. Reaves has so much swagger, and is a good bottom guy to bring in energy. Gregor is kind of lost, but he's our fastest of the group but he's been surpassed by everyone else. To me Holmberg, is our only real 3c option, a guy who can contribute offensively, and pk.

I'd say

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Nylander
Jarnkrok - x - Marner
x - x - x

Any of the rest is interchangeable.

Against the Florida I'd opt for more speed & skill spread through multiple lines. Against Boston I'd go more Snarl with grit on every line.

Florida Lineup
Robertson - Holmberg - Marner
Dewar - Kampf - Jarnkrok

Rielly - Edmundson
McCabe - Lyubushkin
Brodie - Liljegren

Boston
Domi - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Nylander
McMann - Holmberg - Jarnkrok
Knies - Kampf/Dewar - Reaves

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Liljegren

Reactions: SprDaVE

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
This would be my guess . . .
- when Mitch comes back, he's playing with Matthews, it's not even a discussion
- no way in hell is your second best offensive threat playing on the 3rd line
- have to find a spot for Jarny but it's tough and crowded . . . he could easily switch with McMann depending on many things

Bettuzzi - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Domi - Nylander
McMann - Tavares - Holmberg
Jarnkok - Kampf - Reaves/Dewar
Subs: Gregor

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Brodie
Subs: Liljegren

Samsonov
Woll

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi

You have your net front presence in Bertuzzi who is still skilled enough to make plays. Domi is your primary set up man, and with these 2 guys on his line, I feel like it'll bring out more of the physicality in Matthews

Mcmann-Tavares-Marner

Mcmann is your Hyman on this line. Has the speed and skill to forecheck and retain the puck. Marner is the set up man, and it gives Tavares 2 solid defensive wingers.

Knies-Nylander-Jarnkrok

With 3 line matchups, this line should be able to dominate. While it's not ideal to have Nylander at center, having Jarnkrok on this line gives him some support in the defensive zone.

Holmberg-Kampf-Dewar

A solid shutdown 4th line who can pitch in with some offense as well.

Defense-
Rielly-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren
Edmundson-Brodie
Lyubushkin

Healthy Scratch-
Robertson
Gregor
Reaves
Timmons
I cannot see them putting Nylander at center when they basically didn't even try him there during the regular season. My guess is they're going to give Holmberg an opportunity there, with probably Knies and Jarnkrok (providing he's ready). I would prefer Marner (better offense and okay defensively) there instead of Jarnkrok, but unfortunately I don't think Marner would play that far down the line up. Maybe Nylander will play there instead, but I really like him on that line with JT and McMann.
As much as I like Benoit, I believe Boosh will be playing instead of him.
The good thing about all of this is that there's going to be some tough decisions on who plays and who sits. I feel those decisions will be made based on who they're playing though.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Mcmann deserves to be higher up in the lineup. I'm sorry but Knies hasn't shown me anything this year to warrant him being in the top 6 come playoff time. Mcmann has been able to produce when given minutes, and having someone like Marner getting him the puck should make it that much better.
Agree 1000% on McMann. Him on that line with JT and Nylander looks really good.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I have met Keefe, through minor hockey - seems like a nice guy, and he was approachable and cool. :thumbu:

In the past, I'd agree with you about him being stubborn . . . but job uncertainty changes everything. As has been shown with many lineup changes this season he has been much more concerned with who can help the Leafs win RIGHT NOW, as opposed to people pleasing, ego soothing, not ruffling feathers.

I believe that if Keefe thinks Benoit should be in instead of Lyubushkin, he'll do it. But I think it's likely they're both in for the first game . . . past that, will go game to game and how everyone is playing/injuries etc.
I hope you are right

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Bert - Matthews - Domi
McMann - JT - Nylander
Jankrok - Holmberg - Marner
Dewar - Kampf - Knies

Moe - Boosh
McCabe - Beniot
Brodie - Edmonnson.

With how the top line has been playing and the chemistry they have shown together, I think it would be a mistake to break them up now. I also think it's time to break up the heavy top 6 and try and let Marner feast on the other teams lower pairings, it becomes a matchup hell for the other coach and he's the player out of the core 4 that can carry any line. I doubt this will actually happen but it's what I would go with.

I don't think Keefe scratches Brodie for the playoffs.
i think lily has to play his way out of the top 6 i agree keefe might play brodie game1 but hell play himself out of the top 6 which he shouldnt be in in the first place and i feel like nylanders how you described marner hes the weapon thats shown hell produce no matter where you put him that might have him on his own line while marner makes it easier for jt to produce my guess would be knies with him but it could very well be mcmann

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
- have to find a spot for Jarny but it's tough and crowded . . . he could easily switch with McMann depending on many things

Knies - Domi - Nylander

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Brodie

Samsonov
Woll
Phil Kessel was Pittsburgh 3rd best forward in 2016-2017, where he should have won the Conn Smyth and was playing on the 3rd line and feasted on teams bottom pair dman and bottom 6.

Putting Marner on the "3rd line" is about opening up different looks and matchups for other lines or just for himself. Running the same top 6 for the 6th straight year isn't working, shutting down Toronto's top 6 is how you beat them, as their depth has been non existent in most series.

Marner is good enough to dominate and carry a line on his own and creates havoc on the other team.

Reactions: Racer88 and arso40

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Bertuzzi and Domi aren't strong enough defensively to play on the top line.
You can have one or the other but not both.
I'm not sure I agree with you. The problem then becomes is Keefe now loading up the top 2 lines rather than spreading the scoring out (by putting Marner in there)? This is also assuming the McMann, Tavares, Nylander line stays intact.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Knies - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Domi - Nylander
McMann - Tavares - Jarnkrok
Dewar* - Kampf - Reaves
Holmberg*

OR
[Depending on Matchup]

McMann - Tavares - Marner*
Knies - Holmberg - Nylander*
Jarnkrok - Kampf - Reaves*
Dewar*

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Benoit - - McCabe
Edmundson - Liljegren
Brodie

Samsonov
Woll​

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Bertuzzi Matthews Domi
McMann Tavares Marner
Knies Holmberg Nylander
Dewer Kampf Robertson

Rielly Boosh
Benoit McCabe
Edmundson Timmins

Sammy
Woll

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Bertuzzi Matthews Domi
McMann Tavares Marner
Knies Holmberg Nylander
Dewer Kampf Robertson

Rielly Boosh
Benoit McCabe
Edmundson Timmins

Sammy
Woll
think lily has to play himself out of the line up for timmins to get in but with keefe you never know along with the fact that brodie might have to play his way out for benoit to get in

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Marner and Matthews on separate lines please. They will be tough to beat if they spread out the offence. let Mitch and Matthews dominate the PP together(hopefully).

We all know Brodie will be playing 25 minutes a game. Benoit will probably sit in the press box

• Haha

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Bertuzzi Matthews Domi
McMann Tavares Nylander
Knies Holmberg Marner
Dewar Kampf Jarnkrok

McCabe Benoit
Reilly Lybushkin
Edmundson Liljegren

Reactions: Petrus

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Their D will decide their playoff fate.

If Benoit, who was +4 last night against the hard charging Panthers isn't iced, it defies any logic in a meritocracy.

Offense from the back end is overrated. Especially playoff time where the stars have generally disappeared. Meaning, Leafs have to focus on low scoring, neutral zone clogging, hard hitting opponents. The key defense contribution will be on the PP, at other times, it is a simple "puck to the net wrister" that will suffice when they aren't getting the puck to the forwards.

If they think they can LeTang this team to the Second Round they are quite mistaken. Their defense decisions in my estimation will be the most deciding factor in this teams success.

They lost Schenn and Holl but regained some heavies in the back. They added some North/South, drivers up front.

Use them.

Last edited:

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
This is my prediction as well, but with Willy and Mitch swapped.
I can't see Reaves not playing. Players mention him often, Keefe mentioned him last night.

His style of play and his ability to police the game has value in the playoffs. He will hit anyone, he will chirp anyone, he won't back down from anyone. He balances the lineup that requires more grit.

He should be on the ice come playoffs.

Reactions: Leaffan1991

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
bertuzzi - Matthews - domi
Jornkrok - Kampf - Marner
Holmberg - Dewar - Reeves

Rielly - Lybushkin
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Timmins

Like the forwards. I personally think Robbie scores at least 2 big goal for us but I get it.

There is 0 chance Timmins plays before Brodie and lilly

Reactions: arso40 and m1ker

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Bert Matthews Marner
Knies domi nylander
Mcmann Tavares krok
Dewar holmberg reaves

Rielly lybushkun
beniot Mccabe
Ed. Lily
Or switch knies mcmann

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Knies - Domi - Nylander

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Brodie

Samsonov
Woll
the best series marner ever had was when he played with plekanec and marleau on a shutdown 3rd line vs bergeron/ marchand line. I can see leafs doing something similar this season

Bertuzzi-matthews-domi
Mcmann-jt-nylander
Knies-Kampf-Marner
Jarnkrok-Dewar-Reaves

would be my line up personally, you can send marner line against every top matchup, matthews still producing at high rate with domi and you stay with tavares and nylander together.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It will never happen but I wonder if you could somehow split the big 4 on all lines

Bert. Matthews. Domi
Jarn. Kampf Marner
Robbie. JT. Mcmann
Dewar. Holmberg. Willy.

You would have a major scoring threat on the ice at all times
5 on 5

The Marner line would be a matchup line.
Reeves would be out.

It’s not realistic but interesting

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
the best series marner ever had was when he played with plekanec and marleau on a shutdown 3rd line vs bergeron/ marchand line. I can see leafs doing something similar this season

Bertuzzi-matthews-domi
Mcmann-jt-nylander
Knies-Kampf-Marner
Jarnkrok-Dewar-Reaves

would be my line up personally, you can send marner line against every top matchup, matthews still producing at high rate with domi and you stay with tavares and nylander together.
I don't ever see Keefe or any other reasonable coach doing that, sorry

Bertuzzi-matthews-domi
Mcmann-jt-nylander
Knies-Kampf-Marner
Jarnkrok-Dewar-Reaves

I disagree that was the "best series Marner ever had" . . . I would say last year 1st round vs Lightning was. Playing with Matty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad