Line Combos: Playoff Line up

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I am a little surprised at the Maroon move, but it is starting to look like we will not have the big physical presence on the forward line. In looking at the line up though, when everyone returns, there really is not a place for Maroon or a big body unless they can out play someone below.

Palmieri-Getz-Perry
Ryan-Bonino-Selanne
Winnick-Koivu -Cogs
Beleskey-Steckel-Etem

The only way this changes is if there is a trade, and I would guess one of the following would lose their spot.

Bonino
Etem

Now this is not a small line up by any means, and there is rarely fighting in the playoffs, but there really are not many players in there that play physical (not counting D) except for Beleskey. I dont count Getz and Ryan since that really is not their game.

This may be our Playoff line up. The good news is that there is a nice mix of size and speed.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
We just passed the halfway point, and the trade deadline is a few weeks away. Isn't this a little premature?

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
With how soft those lines are I would be surprised to see Etem over Maroon or Staubitz
But with one of the softest coaches in the league I can see it.
It's his playoff mo

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I have to say, I tend to agree with Dirk on this one. It will be a first round exit if our toughest forward is Beleskey IMO.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
As we are trading with Leafs all the time we should get Leo Komarov from there :naughty:

But for real the team needs imo some more hitting and grit when the playoffs begin.

Maybe we could trade something around Smith-Pelly to Oilers for Hartikainen...Harty at least uses his body

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
If the organization wants a real shot at the cup this year, they need to upgrade the 2nd line center position. I don't know how likely that is now with Steckel on the team. They would either have to trade Bonino or move him (or Steckel) to the wing to make room.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
If the organization wants a real shot at the cup this year, they need to upgrade the 2nd line center position. I don't know how likely that is now with Steckel on the team. They would either have to trade Bonino or move him (or Steckel) to the wing to make room.

I think you are right. I hate to say it , but now with Steckel I think Bonino is going to be the odd man out in a trade. He has value and if you include a prospect or pick you could upgrade that position. Even if you get a wing, you could move Ryan to center.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
When did toughness and grit become the gold standard for getting out of playoff rounds/

It is less about toughness and more about the physical nature of the playoffs. You need to have some size or you will get worn down by the larger teams like the kings. We also need to have enough size to wear down their players during a series.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I also agree we need an upgrade at 2nd line but the steckel trade indicates to me there isn't a good market for it. Murray doesn't seem like the type to overpay for rentals and makes more hockey trades.

Also I think we may need an upgrade at D... Sbisa, Lydman, Allen, or love joy to really be competitive

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I don't think Steckel means he's for sure not going after another center. It better not anyway. It's not like Steckel is a must in the lineup every night. Besides Bones has played some wing on the pp and looked good.

Palmieri-Getz-Perry
Ryan-Trade-Selanne
Cogs-Koivu-Winnik
Beleskey-Steckel-Bonino

Too early to have this thread. I just hope Murray adds another 2nd line player. Obviously I prefer a center, but I'd settle with a winger

gradeAducksfan

Mar 29, 2010
Anaheim
I think at the trade deadline we will address the 2nd line center.

I think the Ducks are going to try to get Briere before or at the deadline. The only question is if he will waive the no trade clause.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
Its hard to play line manager or gm.

Look at this team on paper. It doesnt look like a 20 win 3 loss team.

I throw my hands up and say its beyond my ability to guess what would work best for this team.

This is all BB season. His system. His success. The teams success. He has earned whatever little tweeks he wants to do without being second guessed.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
When did toughness and grit become the gold standard for getting out of playoff rounds/

Did you watch the playoffs last year? The Kings were huge, and they steam rolled soft teams like Vancouver and STL. I don't want enforcers like Dirk, but I do agree with Dirk that the lineup looks soft.

RPGrizzly

Jan 5, 2006
Mike Ribeiro. Yeah most people dislike him, but he has actually matured a lot after leaving the Stars. He's more of a team guy now, and he has so much talent. If Washington makes him available, I say we go for him. One thing that could prevent a trade though is if our players just don't like him, which is understandable. He would add a lot to the team.

Jul 22, 2012
Mike Ribeiro. Yeah most people dislike him, but he has actually matured a lot after leaving the Stars. He's more of a team guy now, and he has so much talent. If Washington makes him available, I say we go for him. One thing that could prevent a trade though is if our players just don't like him, which is understandable. He would add a lot to the team.

No. I don't care how good that guy is, I never want him in a Ducks uniform. **** him.

RPGrizzly

Jan 5, 2006
He's kind of a ******.

He put a lot of his antics behind him in Washington. What he is, is an incredibly talented PPG center, who is very effective at getting under his opponent's skin. His teammates like him. I've really been impressed with how he's carried himself in Washington so far. Like I said, he's matured a lot. Before this season I would have said he isn't the type of player you win with. He's really turned that around though.

gradeAducksfan

Mar 29, 2010
Anaheim
He put a lot of his antics behind him in Washington. What he is, is an incredibly talented PPG center, who is very effective at getting under his opponent's skin. His teammates like him. I've really been impressed with how he's carried himself in Washington so far. Like I said, he's matured a lot. Before this season I would have said he isn't the type of player you win with. He's really turned that around though.

I still would like to see Briere in a Ducks jersey. Him and Bobby Ryan playing together would be lights out. Plus I like contract for the next two years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad