Line Combos: Playoff Edition

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Komarov on the fourth line makes no sense.

The main role of Komarov is to be a pest to the other teams better players. Playing on the fourth line will hinder him by only playing against the other teams worse players.

Also, taking nothing away from Mclaren, he wouldn't fair well in a shutdown role.
The shut down lines are either Grabovski's line or Kadri's one. On the other hand, McClement line is a checking line that is utilized to maintain leads. I'm sure Jay's line could cover opposition's top lines, but they won't be able to threaten them in their own zone.

Kadri and Grabovski can do that. If Grabovski shines during the playoffs, we could essentially contain two scoring lines. Kessel's line will take on the main opposition line. This would tie up the opposition and grant significant scoring opportunities.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
RC won a cup with a shut down line that is charged with playing the opposition's top line. He has been using
Leo K- Jay - Kule over the last few weeks. They were the only line capable of stopping Tavares. That will probably continue.

The only real mystery is who plays with kadri and Lupul .. one of Frattin, MacA or Grabo has to step up. I would like to see Grabo get a legit shot at it.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Our top 9 is pretty soft. Hopefully frattin can step up and steal a spot on the second line.

1st line unchanged

Lupul - Kadri - Frattin

Komarov-Mcclement-Kulimen

Maclaren-Grabo- Orr/Hamilton

mikebel111*

Our top 9 is pretty soft. Hopefully frattin can step up and steal a spot on the second line.

1st line unchanged

Lupul - Kadri - Frattin

Komarov-Mcclement-Kulimen

Maclaren-Grabo- Orr/Hamilton

no its not,

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Komarov on the fourth line makes no sense.

The main role of Komarov is to be a pest to the other teams better players. Playing on the fourth line will hinder him by only playing against the other teams worse players.

Also, taking nothing away from Mclaren, he wouldn't fair well in a shutdown role.

Since when does Carlyle do match-ups of 1st line against 1st line, 2nd against 2nd etc.?

Because I've never seen this happen...

When the Orr line goes out, it's usually against the opposing team's top line, or whoever is playing the best game that night. They go out and play a ferocious forecheck game because they're so well-rested. That's why you always see them hemming the opposing team in their own end and laying out crushing hits in the corners.

Then you hope the pressure causes the opposing team to ice the puck when they get dog tired and bruised up and you put the top scoring line on to clean up the mess.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Today's practice could be indicative of our lines for playoffs:

https://twitter.com/DavidAlter590/status/326671509500342272

I expect the top 4 lines to be used and 38-28-48 line to be scratched.

I actually like this. Grabovski's shutdown ability is much better when McClement is on his line and it's clear Carlyle doesn't want to break up the Kadri line either so this is a good replacement. That said, if this line falters to shut down the opposing lines, Kulemin will likely end up back on that line instead of Grabovski which is an easy fix. That fourth line has scoring punch too.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
This would be my line-up if the playoffs were to start today assuming all players healthy:

Forwards:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin
Macarthur-Grabovski-Frattin
Komarov-McClement-Orr/Mclaren/Hamilton/Colborne

Defense:

Phaneuf-Gunnarson
Gardiner/Liles-O'Byrne
Fraser-Franson

Shut-down line when necessary (switch Macarthur to the Kadri and Lupul line):

Komarov-McClement-Kulemin
Phaneuf-Gunnarson

PP1:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Phaneuf-Franson

PP2:

Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin/Macarthur
Gardiner/Liles-Gunnarson

PK 1:

McClement-Kulemin
Gunnarson-Phaneuf

PK 2:

Bozak-Komarov
Fraser-O'Byrne

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
That forward line up is soooooooooft

It does look to be that way, but in the playoffs, there are basically zero fights.

I would expect to see Frattin draw into one of the back to backs this week just to see if he can play, if not then I'm content with Orr getting some ice time in the playoffs.

Personally, I really don't see McLaren going into the lineup at all if the Leafs play anyone other than Boston. But I could easily see Carlyle repaying him for all the work that he's done this year.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I can see Carlyle trying Colborne or Hamilton in these last few games. If someone has a nagging minor injury, those guys are going to get a shot just to keep them active. He knows what he has with the Bruise Brothers, so why not see what Colborne can do or Hamilton.

Lots of tinkering these last games.

Vxnation

Jul 27, 2012
i think in though spots , kuli, mclement and komarov are going in but that is not necessarily a line...

James, bozak, kessel,
Lupul, kadri, komarov
mac, grabo, kuli
maclaren, mclement, orr

i think playoffs will be a great way to bring back mac grabo kuli, ESPECIALLY as a third line, the top d will be taken away by the top two lines, u need a depth third line and I think they can bring it back.

IF for whatever reason grabo eats the offense, u can throw him on the fourth line and pop mclement in his spot instead.

I think komarov has less offence then kuli, and thats why we should have kuli on the third, for another line thats has a threat to put that goal in. two scoring lines will be tough to win with if they make it deep, everyone needs to contribute so that our top 2 lines aren't necessarily being forced to tire themselves playing more minutes than they can handle.

Defence.

Phaneuf Gunnar
Franson Fraser
Liles O'Byrne

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I didn't want to start a new one for this question....

Does anyone know if all Leaf games will be on CBC during the playoffs? I may have to buy a package otherwise. Streaming was ok for the regular season but...

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00