Players Who Scored 1000+ Points But Never Led A Team In Scoring?

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Did Mark Recchi get to 1000 points gang? I'm thinking maybe he didn't lead a team in scoring a single year if he got to 1000 pts.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Forget his leading a WHA team in playoff scoring (centering Gordie Howe and Mark Howe to the league championship series as an 18 year old pivot),...

But if you include his NHL dynasty playoff scoring years (2nd in wingers scoring to only Bossy over the 4-year stretch)...

Then clearly an answer is...
... left winger John Tonelli, the 100-point NHL season Selke finalist who was a dynasty team's second leading scoring winger with 63 playoff points over the 4-year reign after being an 18-year-old WHA team leader in playoff goals on a championship final run and before being traded to Calgary at the deadline to contribute 16 playoff points on a Flames Stanley Cup Finals run. The two-time NHL 1st team all-star would later record his fourth and fifth 30-goal seasons in Los Angeles and retire with 836 points in 1028 NHL games, 115 playoff points in 172 postseason contests. He started as a youngster on a line with Gordie Howe and played his last full season with Wayne Gretzky. He is known as tough, defensively responsible and one of the best corner men in hockey. His career plus-minus of +222 was much earned. He was also clutch. He set up the dynasty's first Stanley Cup-winning goal at 7:11 in overtime of Game 6 vs. Philly, scored winning goals in 14th and 15th games of the franchise's then record winning streak (the goal in the 15th game was scored with 47 seconds remaining) and kept the dynasty team's 1982 playoff run alive with tying and winning goals in Game 5 of first-round series vs. Pittsburgh on April 13, 1982. His winning goal was scored at 6:19 of overtime. In the 1984 Canada Cup he was a physical presence all over the ice, winning battles for the puck, setting up linemates, and scoring a key goal in the semifinal against the Soviets to put the game into overtime.
cc1984i.jpg
1984 Canada Cup MVP
"the bull on the ice" -- Don Weekes
VanIslander, Feb 12, 2018 Report
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/141369185/

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
But John Tonelli didn't score 1000 points. He scored 836 regular season, and 115 in the playoffs, for a total of 951. In any case, I understood that we were talking only about regular season....

So -- so far, I think we confirm the following:

Alex Delvecchio
Dave Taylor
Dale Hunter
Al MacInnis
Nicklas Lidstrom

I hope those guys didn't have contract bonuses for leading the team in scoring...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad