Players that should have Won the Conn Smythe?

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
I doubt that Selanne received any serious consideration Pahlsson and Getzlaf at least would have gotten it before him among forwards.

Hasek had a Conn Smythe quality playoffs but you're right that the team he had around him would have taken away from him. I'd say that he also had to compete against memories of The Dominator, and while he was very good in 2002 he was not the peak Hasek of recent memory.
I still think fedorov should’ve won the conn smythe that year or 98.

I agree with most of your comments. I think Modano was better and more valuable than Nieuwendyk in 1999, and Nieuwendyk got the Conn Smythe largely due to his six game-winning goals (which was, at the time, the single-year record).

GWG are often a dubious stat. But in this case, Nieuwendyk really did score big goals for the Stars:

- game 3 vs Edmonton: gave Dallas a 3-2 lead with eight minutes remaining in 3rd period
- game 4 vs Edmonton: scored series-ending triple OT goal (plus tying goal late in 2nd period)
- game 2 vs St. Louis: scored OT goal (plus tying goal early in 2nd period)
- game 2 vs Colorado: gave Dallas a 3-2 lead with eight minutes remaining in 3rd period
- game 3 vs Colorado: a bit less heroic than the other examples, but scored the first goal in a 3-0 win (he scored/assisted on all three Dallas goals)
- game 4 vs Colorado: assisted on Hull's tying goal with less than four minutes left in third period (though Colorado won it in overtime)
- game 5 vs Colorado: gave Dallas a 3-2 lead early in the 2nd (the Stars lost as Forsberg had three points in the second half of the game)
- game 6 vs Colorado: assisted on Langenbrunner's goal that gave Dallas a 3-2 lead in the third period
- game 3 vs Buffalo: gave Dallas a 2-1 lead midway through the third period

I see the argument for Nieuwendyk, and it's pretty much the same argument as Williams over Kopitar in 2014(*). Clutch scoring vs a player who gets far more ice time and is much stronger defensively. It's a matter of preference, but I'd rank Modano over Nieuwendyk in 1999, and Kopitar over Williams in 2014, so I like to think I'm being consistent.

* At least in 2014, Williams had a huge SC Finals series, while Kopitar's offense dropped off. In 1999, Modano outscored and outplayed Nieuwendyk in that series (for those who think the finals do or should carry more weight).
Modano would’ve won it in 2000 had they been able to beat jersey.

I doubt that Selanne received any serious consideration Pahlsson and Getzlaf at least would have gotten it before him among forwards.

Hasek had a Conn Smythe quality playoffs but you're right that the team he had around him would have taken away from him. I'd say that he also had to compete against memories of The Dominator, and while he was very good in 2002 he was not the peak Hasek of recent memory.
What about Andy McDonald you think he got any votes.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I still think fedorov should’ve won the conn smythe that year or 98.

What about Andy McDonald you think he got any votes.
I doubt that Andy McDonald received Conn Smythe votes.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
I think either Modano or Belfour would've been the right choice in 2000. Modano was 2nd in points (1 behind Hull) while also providing strong 2 way play. Belfour, meanwhile, stole the Colorado series, and even made the finals against NJ seem closer than it really was.
Kris Letang in 2016.
As the years have gone by I've believed more strongly that Letang should've won it. The forward depth was insane on that team, but no one stood out individually the way Letang did on their much less deeper defense. Edit: regardless of who one thinks should've won it, no one had a great enough postseason to claim they were robbed of the CS in 2016.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Has any player won the Smythe in a postseason where they got suspended? Letang was suspended for one game against Washington in 2016.

I think he would have been a good pick though. Then you have Malkin, Crosby, and Letang each with a Smythe which atleast feels right.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Weird way to spell Phil Kessel.
Kessel was the first or second best forward on the team that year when the forwards more or less got it done by committee.

Letang had one of the more impressive post season's by a dman in the cap era. He played 29 minutes a night and dominated the play with 60% expected goals.

Not to mention the cup clinching goal:

Reactions: LightningStorm

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
I doubt that Andy McDonald received Conn Smythe votes.
What about Teemu do you think him or Rob niedermayer got any smythe votes obviously rob’s brother got votes, pronger got votes, moen & Pahlsson probably got votes giggy probably got a couple to a few third place votes i always wondered who got votes for the ducks, alfie probably got 3 or 4 third place votes, & heatley probably got one but idk does anyone have the conn smythe voting from that year, and does anyone have the conn smythe voting from when the wings won in 08 the top three wings in voting my guess is zetterberg was 1st, datsyuk was 2nd & osgood was third, Cuz Ozzie had 2 shutouts in the finals, unless franzen was third, & does anyone have the conn smythe voting for 2011, 2012, & 2014. And do you think in 95 Broten got any votes cuz he had more points than lemieux plus one more game winning goal, obviously Stevens & niedermayer got votes & richer probably got votes but idk.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
What about Teemu do you think him or Rob niedermayer got any smythe votes obviously rob’s brother got votes, pronger got votes, moen & Pahlsson probably got votes giggy probably got a couple to a few third place votes i always wondered who got votes for the ducks, alfie probably got 3 or 4 third place votes, & heatley probably got one but idk does anyone have the conn smythe voting from that year, and does anyone have the conn smythe voting from when the wings won in 08 the top three wings in voting my guess is zetterberg was 1st, datsyuk was 2nd & osgood was third, Cuz Ozzie had 2 shutouts in the finals, unless franzen was third, & does anyone have the conn smythe voting for 2011, 2012, & 2014. And do you think in 95 Broten got any votes cuz he had more points than lemieux plus one more game winning goal, obviously Stevens & niedermayer got votes & richer probably got votes but idk.
I can't imagine why Selanne or Rob Niedermayer would get any votes even if voters could select three players each.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
I can't imagine why Selanne or Rob Niedermayer would get any votes even if voters could select three players each.
I still think niedermayer had a better playoff in 95 & 03. Compared to 07.

I wonder if osgood, lidstrom & Holmstrom got votes in 98,

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I know they went out in the first round, and that should make them disqualified from Conn Smythe contention, but if you saw the respect the Maple Leafs got in the handshake line from Tampa last year, you had tot think a few of their guys would have been solid options to win the trophy.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Crawford wasn't in my top 5 in 2013, he'd be even odder than Kane.

The best player in the 2013 playoffs was David Krejci, but he's not really eligible because he lost. So, Duncan Keith is the next best choice.

Went back and found my notes from 2013, and this was my last rank...
1. David Krejci, C, Bos
2. Tuukka Rask, G, Bos
3. Duncan Keith, D, Chi
4. Patrick Sharp, LW, Chi
5. Zdeno Chara, D, Bos

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Fedorov definitely should have won over Vernon in 97. That was highway robbery.

Kane over Keith or Crawford in 2013 seemed odd.
Agreed on fedorov I wonder who got votes in 98 & 08. If I had to guess lidstrom was second in voting in 98 followed by osgood & holmstrom, 08 it was probably datsyuk who had the second most votes after zetterberg who won it than behind datsyuk was probably osgood than the mule franzen in 4th.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015

The best player in the 2013 playoffs was David Krejci, but he's not really eligible because he lost. So, Duncan Keith is the next best choice.

1. David Krejci, C, Bos
2. Tuukka Rask, G, Bos
3. Duncan Keith, D, Chi
5. Zdeno Chara, D, Bos
I agree I think krejci would’ve won it had Boston won.

1. David Krejci, C, Bos
2. Tuukka Rask, G, Bos
3. Duncan Keith, D, Chi
5. Zdeno Chara, D, Bos
Bryan Bickell was pretty good in that playoff he was second in scoring for the hawks 9 goals 8 assists 17 points.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
Tangentially related question. A Conn Smythe winner on a losing team is almost always a goalie. Who are some skaters who had “put the team on their back” efforts in a SCF loss?

Reactions: dalewood12

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Tangentially related question. A Conn Smythe winner on a losing team is almost always a goalie. Who are some skaters who had “put the team on their back” efforts in a SCF loss?

unquestionably 2006 chris pronger

i ran some numbers a while back showing that 1992 chelios carried an incredible load, including in the finals sweep

i’m having trouble thinking of a forward who was smythe deserving but i can definitely see an all situations franchise dman fitting the bill as readily as a goalie, even if one has never been acknowledged as such.

Reactions: cole von cole

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad