Player Discussion: Tyler Bertuzzi

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
That pass to A2 is unreal. We should swap him to defense so we can get some puck movers back there.

Reactions: mjtm777

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
He’s been producing like a first liner. Not sure if he is. But I just hope he can perform in the playoffs (if he ever gets that chance in his carrer)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He’s been producing like a first liner. Not sure if he is. But I just hope he can perform in the playoffs (if he ever gets that chance in his carrer)

Akating and physicality isn't there, but man he has surprised me with his high hockey-IQ. His playmaking is his best attribute right now.

Gonna love him.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
his hockey IQ might be as good as sam reinharts :sarcasm:

Seriously though ive been hyped for him as a top 6er for a few years now. here are some quotes from 2016.

bertuzzi is real smart. These commentators were talking about how some players just don't have the smarts to play with elite players. Youd think it would be easy but sometimes it just doesn't work out. Well I think bert would be great in the top 6 just as a complimentary player, kinda like holmstrom. Hes good enough to play with the elite guys imo

He should be in the NHL. Hes Brad Marchand 2.0. Hes so good. Great hands, great vision, great hockey IQ. He's always looking around him too see where guys are gonna be before he gets the puck.

you've gotta remember this second quote was before brad marchand broke out and had a career year 85 pts.... before that he's been hovering in the 50-60 pt range. I still think Bertuzzi can be something like that.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Akating and physicality isn't there, but man he has surprised me with his high hockey-IQ. His playmaking is his best attribute right now.

Gonna love him.
I don't know the surprise factor nor the reason people were so down on him just weeks ago. We've known for a few years he had potential to be much more than just the average 4th line grinder. I think it was like 2 years ago he killed it in training camp, looking right at home playing a skillful type of game next to guys like AA and Mantha. He's set goalscoring records in the AHL playoffs. He won't be a superstar but I've felt for a while he's got great potential to be a really good complementary player in a top 6 role.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I doubt he keeps up the scoring pace, but I could definitely see him as an Abdelkader type guy who fits in at various places in the lineup.

Reactions: mjtm777

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
I doubt he keeps up the scoring pace, but I could definitely see him as an Abdelkader type guy who fits in at various places in the lineup.

Im the opposite of big on abby. Can't stand him! Bert has played well...better offensively than abby imo...atleast so far.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Im the opposite of big on abby. Can't stand him! Bert has played well...better offensively than abby imo...atleast so far.

I think Abdelakder has a bit more top end speed and plays tougher.

So far Bertuzzi is showing better playmaking patience-- a surprising amount, to be honest.

I thought he'd be a grinder with some good hands around the net.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Yeah I think of Bert as a more offensively gifted Malts. The kid has really solid vision and I think he'll end up a scoring pest. Abby really has very little offensive talent. He's ok a screening and has a decent shot but the guys has no vision.

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
I think Abdelakder has a bit more top end speed and plays tougher.

So far Bertuzzi is showing better playmaking patience-- a surprising amount, to be honest.

I thought he'd be a grinder with some good hands around the net.
For once we agree. Bertuzzi has not played tough at all. I've barely seen him make a hit. He was a super physical dude in the A and he can throw hands pretty good. Obviously his goal was to show his skill, which he is doing in an exceeding fashion. Wish he'd show that pest side though.

He's going to be a 35-45 point winger on the second line IMO. He isn't flashy or great in any area, he's just smart and gets it done.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
For once we agree. Bertuzzi has not played tough at all. I've barely seen him make a hit. He was a super physical dude in the A and he can throw hands pretty good. Obviously his goal was to show his skill, which he is doing in an exceeding fashion. Wish he'd show that pest side though.

He's going to be a 35-45 point winger on the second line IMO. He isn't flashy or great in any area, he's just smart and gets it done.

I dont remember him being very physical in the AHL either. I tried to look up his hitting statistic but found nothing. He's always been a finesse player since i started watching him when he first joined GR.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

He doesn't really hit.
But he does initiate contact and get good body position on people.

I'm not sure, long term, if he's got the skill to hold down a regular top 6 job.

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008

Gonna love him.
He still seems pretty small compared to his peers. Hopefully in two years time his body will be NHL size, I mean dude seemed like he didn't give a f*** in juniors or AHL, not sure why he would be scared now. He seems pretty relentless going after the puck.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
The great thing about Bertuzzi is that throughout his career he's been able to form good chemistry with almost everyone he plays with. He also has superb instincts for the play. Not big, not that quick or tough, no top end skill, but since he has learnt his game he just knows how to be effective and in a number of different ways. He's got a touch of Danny Cleary about him, which makes sense given their relationship, particularly his ability to play up and down the line-up and not look massively out of place in any role. He's kind of like what Scott Wilson tried to be.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Yeah I think of Bert as a more offensively gifted Malts. The kid has really solid vision and I think he'll end up a scoring pest. Abby really has very little offensive talent. He's ok a screening and has a decent shot but the guys has no vision.
Agree.

Bert has shown me way more skill than I've seen from Abby.

As for physicality, no one on our team really hits in a way that matters. Unless you're delivering crushing hits that make the other team hesitate playing the puck when you're forechecking, the hits I don't think matter that much. And most of ours are very soft just kinda making sure you touch the guy. If those are the kinds of "hits" we're counting I don't care about hits. I care about playing hard, going to the tough areas, taking a hit to make a play, shoving people off the puck. Don't really care about "hits" specifically.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I'm glad he's changing people's opinions around here. I was shocked at the initial response when he was called up. There's a lot of reasons to like this kid.

For some reason I see him and Larkin being a good fit together.

Reactions: TheMule93

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He doesn't really hit.
But he does initiate contact and get good body position on people.

I'm not sure, long term, if he's got the skill to hold down a regular top 6 job.

Hes more of a pest than a big hitter. I'm sure rigt now he doesnt want to take any penalties on his first real look with the wings. Once he establishes himself a bit more I'm sure more people will see the asshole side of him come out.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Maltby in his prime was a tremendous skater and very hard hitter - and he was an elite level PK guy
I haven't seen any of that kind of energy from Bertuzzi yet.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Perhaps all of the injuries have caused him to adjust his game? He's had a tough time staying healthy dating back to his days in Guelph - both concussions and otherwise have been issues for him - so perhaps he sees his role now as being a little more offensive and trying to minimize the other stuff.

Man he was fun to watch in junior. Surprised everyone at 16 and made the Storm as a lanky 4th rounder and went toe to toe with the league's toughest (often times to his own detriment) and then evolved his game over the coming years to be a really talented offensive player as well.

Sorry for that trip down memory lane. So happy for lil Bert. Fun fact: His cousin Tag (Todd's son) is now in his first year with the Storm following in Todd and Tyler's footsteps.

Really hope Tyler can keep it up!

Reactions: Winger98

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Abdelkader too had shown good offensive abilities early in his career. Remember that sick goal in the playoffs against 'Yotes back in 2010?

That said, Abdelkader is more of a physical beast, PKer/defensive player, and a better skater to lil, Bert. Bert has shown better vision and passing...so far.

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
I dont remember him being very physical in the AHL either. I tried to look up his hitting statistic but found nothing. He's always been a finesse player since i started watching him when he first joined GR.
He has over 30 career fights, he had 4 in his full AHL season. 133 PIMS. He had 50 PIMS in last years playoffs. You don't fight and sit in the box that much without being physical.

Since everyone is comparing him to Abby, who is probably the most physical guy we have. His PIMS recent years 120, 72, 31, 32, 61, 62.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad