Player Discussion: Drew Doughty Thread

Sausages

Apr 28, 2017
Let's say you owned a pretty decent house but it needed a remodel.

In the garage you have a sexy vintage Ferrari, extremely collectable, very sought after.

IMHO, even though you'll likely never own one again. you have to sell that baby at peak value, fix your house up as best you can and still be able to afford a not so highly thought of, but solid form of transport.

So many fans are ready to slit their wrists at the thought of losing Doughty. I personally wouldn't miss him that much. He seems immature for his age and status, he is often indecisive and prone to sloppy turnovers and has the propensity for going rouge when the team isn't playing well, which never leads to anything good. He does as much harm as good.

I'm also sick of hearing all the fake Norris Trophy hype year after year.

There, I said it.

Let it go,
Let it go.

Reactions: 2-4 Slashin

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
IMHO, even though you'll likely never own one again. you have to sell that baby at peak value, fix your house up as best you can and still be able to afford a not so highly thought of, but solid form of transport.
but who is that "no so highly thought of but solid" defenseman? or would you lean on martinez and muzzin to be your main minutes eaters and get a forward?

i'm not necessarily gonna say it's a terrible idea but that player you get in return has to exist, we aren't speaking in theoreticals

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

In the garage you have a sexy vintage Ferrari, extremely collectable, very sought after.

So many fans are ready to slit their wrists at the thought of losing Doughty. I personally wouldn't miss him that much. He seems immature for his age and status, he is often indecisive and prone to sloppy turnovers and has the propensity for going rouge when the team isn't playing well, which never leads to anything good. He does as much harm as good.

There, I said it.

Let it go,
Let it go.
You'd fit right in with this team's history of dumping Norris caliber d-men for another team's garbage.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
You'd fit right in with this team's history of dumping Norris caliber d-men for another team's garbage.
it's relying on hitting a home run right? i think we're in a bit of a position of power given the luck involved with dumping gaborik for phaneuf with how incredibly well phaneuf has fit in, i'm not sure i'm counting on lightning striking twice

Sausages

Apr 28, 2017

Haven't you just witnessed a "garbage" defense completely embarrass our team?

Look who scored the goal that killed the Kings off. Wasn't any Norris Trophy candidate.

Reactions: IceNeophyte

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The main board, and I must admit myself as well, have been fixated on Toronto as a likely trade partner if the Kings can't re-sign Doughty.

It seems logical, but there may be other teams out there who have the assets and with which a conversation might be beneficial. I haven't given it a lot of thought. Maybe Florida, Winnipeg, I am not sure. Just hoping if this comes to pass there are more than one team with interest to drive the price higher.

Reactions: kenito7

Sausages

Apr 28, 2017
but who is that "no so highly thought of but solid" defenseman? or would you lean on martinez and muzzin to be your main minutes eaters and get a forward?

i'm not necessarily gonna say it's a terrible idea but that player you get in return has to exist, we aren't speaking in theoreticals

Sure, I'm not naming names. But, can you very quickly name all of the Penguins D from the cup winning teams or could you have predicted how good LV's defense would end up being with their generic D corps.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Seems like Philadelphia might be a potential trading partner as well.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
I'm firmly in the trade Doughty camp asap. One of Toffoli or Pearson. One of Martinez or Muzzin. Let Mitchell & Gravel walk. Sign Reider @ 2.75 per season AAV max. Re-sign Folin.

Move Kempe full time to the top line. LaDue in the top 4D. Amadio as 3C. Play Brodz on his right. AI on his left.

Without any return for the trades:
kempe--kopi--brown
Pearson/Toffoli--Carter--Villardi
AI--Amadio--Brodz
Reider-Thompson-Lewis
Clifford-AA-Rempal

Ladue-Forbort
Muzzin/Martinex-Brickley
Fantenberg-Phaneuf
StrandF-Folin

If that's the worst team next year then so be it, right?

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Great thread, but the issue is very simple and doesn't require too much analysis. You can't negotiate a favorable deal with Doughty. If you want to keep him, you have to give him a blank check and exactly what he wants. Because if the Kings don't give him that money, he will get it elsewhere.

The question is whether Doughty wants to stay. If after offering him what he wants money-wise, he says he needs to think about it, you move him in the summer. We cannot risk being in a Tavares situation and lose him for nothing. The longer it drags on, the more Doughty's value drops and the more drama there will be during the 2018-2019 season.

If we can get a young NHL ready top 6 forward, a 1st round pick, and a young top 4 defenseman, I would be okay with trading Doughty after he says he needs to think about it. Getting a haul like that, however, will require doing a sign and trade.

No. If he's signed when we trade him we will get double that. With Karlsson as damaged goods, DD may be the #1 RHD in the world.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think the Islanders are a decent partner. They're desparate for defense.

Two 1st round unprotected lottery picks (Flames and theirs), plus Ryan Pulock.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

There, I said it.

Let it go,
Let it go.

What if we're on earth to own and ride Ferraris and we don't really care that much about a crappy house? :)

Jun 30, 2006
The main board, and I must admit myself as well, have been fixated on Toronto as a likely trade partner if the Kings can't re-sign Doughty.

It seems logical, but there may be other teams out there who have the assets and with which a conversation might be beneficial. I haven't given it a lot of thought. Maybe Florida, Winnipeg, I am not sure. Just hoping if this comes to pass there are more than one team with interest to drive the price higher.

I can’t see anyone else but Toronto. Doughty loves that city, and probably wants to be part of the team that brings the cup back there and cement his legacy there. Other than that, maybe Philly given the Simmonds and Hextall connections.

Other teams may be interested, but I think at that point Doughty will control where he goes if the decision is not extending with Los Angeles.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Whatever happens, I hope it happens quickly. If he's not signed by 7/1, trade him no later than 7/2. I absolutely cannot take months and months of Doughty speculation. It's been bad enough already. Not that it'll distract the team or anything. Not that it'll make him play distracted. None of that do I care about. Just my own enjoyment. I'd rather watch the team lose quietly in 4 games than talk about where Doughty goes. I'd rather watch the team meekly miss the playoffs altogether than listen to every broadcast where it's all about what's going to happen with Doughty.

I don't even care what the Kings get for him in a trade if they trade him. A conditional 6th is fine. If not 7/1, end this on 7/2. Please. I wish the deadline was today.

1 assist in his last 8 playoff games. Playoff Doughty left with the rest of them.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I'm firmly in the trade Doughty camp asap. One of Toffoli or Pearson. One of Martinez or Muzzin. Let Mitchell & Gravel walk. Sign Reider @ 2.75 per season AAV max. Re-sign Folin.

Move Kempe full time to the top line. LaDue in the top 4D. Amadio as 3C. Play Brodz on his right. AI on his left.

Without any return for the trades:
kempe--kopi--brown
Pearson/Toffoli--Carter--Villardi
AI--Amadio--Brodz
Reider-Thompson-Lewis
Clifford-AA-Rempal

Ladue-Forbort
Muzzin/Martinex-Brickley
Fantenberg-Phaneuf
StrandF-Folin

If that's the worst team next year then so be it, right?

I'd give Doughty 2 million more per year than he's worth before I give Tobias Rasmussen 2.75 million per. He's beyond worthless!

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
If trading Doughty to PHI lands you Konecny and 1 of their stud D prospects then it's probably worth a look. He's another stud that we could of had without the Lucic trade....

Reactions: KINGS17

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If trading Doughty to PHI lands you Konecny and 1 of their stud D prospects then it's probably worth a look. He's another stud that we could of had without the Lucic trade....

Maybe Voracek and a younger piece. If this was 3 or 4 years ago, while Doughty was relatively cheap with plenty of years left at that price, then you get a couple really good young players for him. Not today. Now you have to take a big contract back.

The Flyers aren't going to pay 3 guys at or over 30 between $8m and whatever number Doughty is going to hit. Voracek and one of their defenseman that isn't Ghost or Provorov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad