Player Discussion: Brock Boeser | III | Our Boy in College

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Benning said that Boeser will return to college next year but I'm not too sure about that.

I bet if boeser says he feels he's ready that he'll get signed. I also heard you aren't allowed to talk to the team till after the season ends. So we'll have to wait till after Boeser's season ends.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Benning said that Boeser will return to college next year but I'm not too sure about that.

I bet if boeser says he feels he's ready that he'll get signed. I also heard you aren't allowed to talk to the team till after the season ends. So we'll have to wait till after Boeser's season ends.

Boeser said it himself that he wants to go back for another year according to JB

CorySchneids

May 3, 2015
I can't believe some people want him on the big club. Relax. Detroit model people. Slow these guys down, let them dominate, lead and win at all levels. We have enough guys under 23 on the roster as it is.

Could be huge for our future if he turns into a 35+ goal scorer with great two way play and we maximize the potential of this happening by allowing Boeser to learn and develop at his pace.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I can't believe some people want him on the big club. Relax. Detroit model people. Slow these guys down, let them dominate, lead and win at all levels. We have enough guys under 23 on the roster as it is.

Could be huge for our future if he turns into a 35+ goal scorer with great two way play and we maximize the potential of this happening by allowing Boeser to learn and develop at his pace.

Or he could be like Dylan Larkin

I agree with the Detroit .. Let the kids simmer for the most part.. But the league is different. More and more kids are ready at an earlier age

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I wouldn't bring him in. We have all these players who need to clear waivers
(thanks Benning!). Even if they are worse, it just creates problems. Might as well let our prospects play in winning environments. Canucks aren't going anywhere next year either. Don't think for one second that this team will be improved over the summer, we've seen how that goes twice now.

We haven't yet hit rock bottom. Let's leave Boeser for until AFTER that happens (And Demko, while we're at it. Move McCann to Utica as well...)

WhoseLainesItAnyway

Sep 20, 2014
I'd like Boeser to play another year in the NCHC to see whether his goal scoring this year is an anomaly like Virtanen in his draft year and get more assists. We don't want him to bust by rushing him in his draft+1 year and destroy his confidence like what happened to Virtanen...

But seriously, Boeser should probably work on his skating for another year. He's nothing like Larkin and Virtanen who already had the speed to play in the NHL at 19.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I would rather Boeser gets signed and plays in the AHL next year, then the NHL the year after that (yes I know I'm in the minority).

It would be the same type of development curve as Max Pacioretty.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Hes had such a great year down there ya gotta kinda hope he wants to challenge himself for a spot with the Nucks next year and ya gotta hope that Benning doesnt block it. I hope he wouldnt anyways but will see this summer i guess. Anyways super excited about this guy no matter what happens

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
I wouldn't usually want him signed, but I really like the idea of McCann & Boeser spending next year together in Utica under Green.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I wouldn't bring him in. We have all these players who need to clear waivers
(thanks Benning!). Even if they are worse, it just creates problems. Might as well let our prospects play in winning environments. Canucks aren't going anywhere next year either. Don't think for one second that this team will be improved over the summer, we've seen how that goes twice now.

We haven't yet hit rock bottom. Let's leave Boeser for until AFTER that happens (And Demko, while we're at it. Move McCann to Utica as well...)

I'm with you on this. Let Boeser stay in college, send McCann to the AHL next year, and unless we get Matthews or Laine, either send Puljujarvi to the AHL or send the junior player back to junior. Bottom out next year (though hopefully with no awful contracts).

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
IMO boeser will leave at the end of this year if he wants to fast track and go to the NHL.

I do not think Benning will put its foot down and refuse to sign him and force him to play a additional year in college.

So the ball is in Brocks court. If he decides he's ready he'll sign.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I'm with you on this. Let Boeser stay in college, send McCann to the AHL next year, and unless we get Matthews or Laine, either send Puljujarvi to the AHL or send the junior player back to junior. Bottom out next year (though hopefully with no awful contracts).

It is good to have a plan but if player makes team out of camp you should keep him. In Boeser case sign him bring him to camp if he is not ready send him to Ahl. easy decision

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Yeah I just don't see the rush to bring him in at all. Hey, if he WANTS to go pro and he is indeed ready, then why not? Otherwise, leave him alone in college for another season.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015

There won't be a Detroit model as long as Benning is the GM. He said when he was hired he wasn't a patient man, you can see that with his moves from day 1. Trading picks and prospects for waiver eligible 4th line fodder.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
There won't be a Detroit model as long as Benning is the GM. He said when he was hired he wasn't a patient man, you can see that with his moves from day 1. Trading picks and prospects for waiver eligible 4th line fodder.

When did he say he wasn't a patient man? I never saw that, link please.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver

The 'Detroit model' is changing - it's becoming increasingly important to have young players (20 - 23 years) on ELCs on your every day roster. The league is getting younger and faster and players are peaking earlier. By the time a player is 25 or 26 you have to know if your are going to offer him a multi-year deal that takes him past the UFA age (27).

The typical path now, for players drafted at age 18 (outside of the top 5 or so) is for them to remain in junior until they are 20 and eligible for the AHL. At age 20, when they play their first pro season in the AHL, their ELC kicks in for 3 years. This takes them to age 23, by which time you hope they have played enough games in the NHL to have earned a full time roster spot, as around the same time, their waiver eligibility kicks in. At age 23, they get another 3 year 'bridge' contract which takes them to age 26 when they will still be an RFA. This allows you to sign them to 1 more multi-year deal as an RFA which can take them to age 29 or 30 before they become UFAs.

If you keep a player in Junior and the AHL too long, they use up their ELC years and become waiver eligible before they have established themselves as full time NHLers. You end up with situations like Calgary had with Baertschi (or earlier, Vancouver with Grabner) where the player is going to be waiver eligible, but isn't established enough to secure a roster spot. Then, you either lose him to waivers, or he has a breakout season and you have to pay him a decent contract based on a very limited body of work at the NHL level. IF a player doesn't break out until 25 or 26, they are going to be looking for a deal that allows them to become a UFA at 27.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Boeser has a chance to tie Parise tonight in all time goals for a freshman season, he just needs 1 more.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
We don't want him to bust by rushing him in his draft+1 year and destroy his confidence like what happened to Virtanen.

We destroyed Virtanen's confidence? He seems perfectly confident to me.

That said, I'd let Boeser simmer for another year as well. The Canucks should, by all rights, be a train wreck next season, and if by some miracle they're not it'll be because they got shored up by opportunity gobbling UFAs. Neither situation suggests shoe-horning Boeser in is a good use of the asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad