Player and Coaching Grades

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Zajac - A- Good bounce back season. Maybe the only guy on the ice that played hard every night. But no one deserves an A

Henrique - C Playing out of position but the coasting and getting out of the D-zone are real issues with him. Somehow still ends up on the scoresheet

Palmieri - B A tale of two halves.

Cammalleri - F Had about 5 good games this year and looked over the hill in the other 77.

Hall - B- Some of his numbers are suffering from playing with guys who aren’t as talented, but can be accused of taking some nights off. I thought I would see more of the guy from the first 10 games.

Zacha - C- He shows signs of why he was the #6 pick, but is clueless where to be on the ice when he doesn’t have the puck. I worry that Hynes isn’t going to teach him properly

Bennett - C Best possession player but snakebitten. Showed some of his upside late in the season. Not a bad pickup off the scrapheap. If he can pot 15 next year, that would earn him at least a B+

Blandisi - B- Still has issues but is cleaning them up. Great offensive instincts.

Wood - B Pretty good for a kid who's pretty much right out of high school. Very raw, but provides on ice leadership that is sorely missing from this team.

PAP - B Got more offense than we expected but a train wreck defensively.

Josefson - D Can you stay healthy? 4th liner on a skill team.

Noesen - C Not bad for a guy off the street. Bernier-lite

DSP - F Clueless and unskilled. Maybe should get traded every season. Seems it’s the only way he does anything useful

Coleman - D- AHL depth

Lappin - D AHL depth

Greene - C- He’s starting to get long in the tooth and had some nights where he was the worst player on the ice. It doesn’t help he’s got to carry the load because all of his D-partners are pretty much terrible.

Lovejoy - F This guy is just ****ing terrible.

Quincey - D He sucks but at least looked competent in the O-zone

Moore - F 11 goals or not, the guy is the ****ing Tasmanian devil in the D-zone and can’t drive the play in the O-zone. Just ****ing chaos.

Severson - C He’s coming around. Still has to be stronger on his skates and keep his damn stick on the ice. The +/- seems to be an aberration considering what he brings.

Santini - B- Tough assignment and handled it well. I guess he’s here to stay even though he could use the time to dominate in the AHL.

Jon Merrill - C- Had some good nights that showed why he was a high 2nd round pick but there were nights where he looked like AHL fodder.

Prout - F They traded for this guy?

Auvitu - D Started out well then just folded.

Schneider - D- I’m sorry, but this year is a total bust for him. The only reason he doesn’t get an F is that the D in front of him is garbage and can’t stop the cross ice pass which exposes his lack of athleticism.

Kinkaid - B- Not as many softies as last year and had a great save % for a backup

Coaching - F This is one of the worst staffs in the league. They can’t even teach these guys basic fundamentals.

Shero - D That trade for Prout was mind boggling. Overestimated the talent of multiple defensive players. Hynes should have been fired for 2 2-month swoons where they looked like a ****ing minor league team. Misallocated talent which may make Albany lose out on the playoffs preventing young guys from earning more big time game experience. His ass needs to be on fire next year if this team does not improve.

Last edited:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Zajac B+
Henrique C
Palmieri B+
Cammalleri D-
Hall B
Zacha C
Bennett C+
Blandisi C
Josefson F
Noesen C+
DSP D-
Coleman C-
Lappin C-

Greene B-
Lovejoy F+
Quincey C-
Moore C
Severson B-
Santini C+
Jon Merrill C
Prout D
Auvitu D+

Schneider C
Kinkaid C+

Coaching C-
Shero C-

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
FORWARDS:
Hall: A- (Again not his fault he has no one that can play up to his level, if he did points would be higher)
Zajac: B+ (Good possession wise, still overmatched if you're expecting him to score at a first line rate)
Palmieri: B (Played horrible without Hall, once he played with Hall/Zajac he started doing more on the 5 on 5)
Cammalleri: C- (Looked quite lost the 2nd half. One of our few forwards that can still enter the zone effectively)
Henrique: D+ (For his expectations, he was awful. Overrated player. Not a great 5 on 5 or PP scorer. Horrible possesion wise and defensively)
Bennett: B (Did what he had to do. One of the only guys in the bottom 6 that played a strong defensive game and possession game. Points started coming as he got more lucky)
Josefson: C+ (Thought he took a step back defensively this year, but the points went up. Just okay)
Noesen: B (Played like an admirable bottom 6 RW. Looks like he could be a solid 4th liner next year)
Zacha: B- (He's a rookie so not high expectations. Didn't show much on the 5 on 5 at all, but his PP performance was great. Has to play with better linemates next year)
DSP: F (Didn't play like an NHL'er)
Coleman/Pietia/Lappin: D (Lappin showed the most here, the others are AHL'ers
Wood: C (He's a rookie so that's why it's not lower. The speed gave us some cool moments, but people don't realize how much he struggled when he didn't have 3-4 of his highlight plays
Blandisi: B (Looked like he could be a solid 3rd liner for us next year. Impressed at Center.
JQ: C (Besides the Ranger game, didn't really see it with him. He's a rookie so yea.

DEFENSEMAN:
Severson: B+/A- (Possession numbers were top of the team. +/- stats all had to do with luck and Schneider struggling. Only one that consistently provided offense all year. Maybe had a few too many inconsistent moments from this being an A. But he's also 22.
Merrill: B (Plays a low-event style. Won't provide you any offense, but he'll limit chances as well. Looks like he can carve out a bottom pairing role going forward.
Santini: C (He was alright. I think people have been overrating him though. He was solid with Merrill, but I didn't see this future top 4 guy. I think he'll be a fine bottom pairing guy that can limit chances, but we'll see.
Greene: C+ (His expectations will continue to lower. He was fine with Severson, awful with Lovejoy. No better than a mediocre to average 2nd pairing guy at this point of his career.)
Moore: D+ (The offense was nice for the final few games, but I won't forget just how bad he was for the first 40-50 games as he cost us games)
Lovejoy: F (Horrible, that's all I'll say. Our worst player this year)
Auvitu: B (Not going to beat a dead horse here)

Goalies:
Schneider: D (Make no mistake, the team didn't help him out. But to be fair, Schneider was quite awful too. He would tell you that)

Coaches:
Hynes: D- (His staff sucked and he just made way too many concerning player personnel moves for me to put him higher. The Lovejoy usage sticks out. There were better options.)

GM:
Shero: C (Besides the Hall move, he had a rough off-season/season. Schlemko/Lovejoy was handled poorly. The Prout trade was awful.)

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Shero: C+
Hynes: D
Nas: F
Ward: D

Zajac B+
Henrique C
Palmieri B
Cammalleri F
Hall B
Zacha C
Bennett C
Blandisi C-
Josefson D+
Noesen B-
DSP D
Coleman F
Lappin D+
JQ B
Pietila C-
Fiddler F
PAP C
Kalinin: F
Wood B

Greene C-
Lovejoy F
Stollery C
Moore B-
Severson C
Santini B
Jon Merrill C
Prout D
Quincey C-
Auvitu B

Schneider C-
Kinkaid C-

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Zajac A-
Henrique C-
Palmieri B+
Cammalleri F
Hall A-
Zacha C+
Bennett C+
Blandisi C+
Josefson C
Noesen C
DSP F
Coleman D
Lappin C-

Greene C+
Lovejoy F
Quincey C
Moore C-
Severson B
Santini C+
Jon Merrill C+
Prout F
Auvitu N/A

Schneider D
Kinkaid C+

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Shero: C
Hynes: F

Zajac B
Henrique C
Palmieri B
Cammalleri F
Hall B
Zacha C
Bennett C
Blandisi D
Josefson D
Noesen C
DSP D
Coleman D
Lappin D
JQ B
Pietila C
Fiddler F
PAP D
Kalinin: F
Wood B

Greene D
Lovejoy F
Stollery C
Moore B
Severson C
Santini B
Jon Merrill D
Prout D
Quincey C
Auvitu C

Schneider D
Kinkaid C

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Obviously you have to factor in expectations:

Zajac B+
Henrique C
Palmieri B+
Cammalleri N/A, didn't even show up
Hall B+
Zacha C
Bennett C
Blandisi C+
Josefson C-
Noesen C+
DSP D+
Coleman C+
Lappin C+

Greene B-
Lovejoy F
Quincey B-
Moore C+
Severson C
Santini B
Merrill C
Prout D
Auvitu C-

Schneider F
Kinkaid B+

Coaching D
Shero B

Green = top performer for me
Red = awful.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Zajac B+
Henrique C
Palmieri A-
Cammalleri C-
Hall B+
Zacha B
Bennett B
Blandisi C+
Josefson C+
Noesen B
DSP F
Coleman D
Lappin D
Wood C

Greene C+
Lovejoy F
Quincey C
Moore C+
Severson B-
Santini B
Jon Merrill B-
Prout F
Auvitu C

Schneider D
Kinkaid C+

Coaching C-
Shero C+

Last edited:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
man do i have rose colored glasses on? was cory really THAT bad? tough crowd

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Zajac B+
Henrique C
Palmieri B
Cammalleri D
Hall B
Zacha C+
Bennett C
Blandisi B-
Josefson C
Noesen B-
DSP D-
Coleman C-
Lappin C-
JQ B-
Pietila C-
Fiddler D-
PAP C+
Kalinin: D-
Wood C-

Greene C
Lovejoy F-
Stollery C
Moore D+
Severson B-
Santini B-
Jon Merrill C+
Prout D-
Quincey D+
Auvitu C+

Schneider D+
Kinkaid B

Shero: B
Hynes: D+ (poor goaltending and roster keeps him above an F and I'm feeling generous today)
Nas: D- (poor penalty killing, poor defense, he might be one of the ones vouching for Lovejoy playing so much. If one of the assistants is gone, I hope it's him. His in-game interviews are always full of the same dumb cliche's too)
Ward: D+

Last edited:

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Zajac B+
Henrique C
Palmieri B
Cammalleri D
Hall B
Zacha C+
Bennett C
Blandisi B-
Josefson C
Noesen B-
DSP D-
Coleman C-
Lappin C-
JQ B-
Pietila C-
Fiddler D-
PAP C+
Wood C-

Greene C
Lovejoy F-
Stollery C
Moore D+
Severson B-
Santini B-
Jon Merrill C+
Prout D-
Quincey C-
Auvitu C+

Schneider D+
Kinkaid B

Shero: B
Hynes: D+ (poor goaltending and roster keeps him above an F and I'm feeling generous today)
Nas: D- (poor penalty killing, poor defense, he might be one of the ones vouching for Lovejoy playing so much. If one of the assistants is gone, I hope it's him. His in-game interviews are always full of the same dumb cliche's too)
Ward: D+

You know, for all of the criticism you dish out, these grades are awfully high.:laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You know, for all of the criticism you dish out, these grades are awfully high.:laugh:

I think they're my lowest yet, out of the past few years.

While I do believe that Coleman and Pietila suck and aren't NHL caliber, I gave them a C- because I didn't really expect much from them at all. And they're not quite as bad as Kalinin, so they didn't get a D-.

In reality, they probably are as bad as Kalinin, but the sample size was so small and they weren't thrown in the top 9 or PP to be able to suck as bad as him.

Nobody on the team got an A from me and only Lovejoy deserved an F. Cammalleri came close to an F though. Looking at that again, I think Quincey probably deserves a D+ and not a C- for the season.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Palmieri B+ - I always expect a player to be lazy after signing a contract - Palmieiri was not. I thought that was happening at the beginning of the year when he was invisible but once he found his groove he was our best forward.

Parenteau C+ almost a B - Waiver wire pickup + returned assets + led the team in goals for a period of time. Very pleased with P.A. He is what he is but that was very useful to us.

Zajac C Just as expect - Nothing more, nothing less

Hall C- The fact that Palmieri was our best forward says something about Hall in my opinion. Hall's game was an overall disappointment to me. Sure there were lots of positives but I don't believe this a game changing forward. He's a good cog. His passing ability is elite, his 2 way game sucks, his scoring touching is average and most disappointing he doesn't appear to be all the smart of a player - Coming to a new team brings challenges, and obviously the trade was difficult for Hall so I'd like to see if he becomes more comfortable in year 2. I'd be willing to hold off on judgement. But this year was a performance I would not write home about.

Henrique C- He probably performed exactly what he is, a 20-20 guy, but he was slightly disappointing to me this season. The effort and drive seemed lacking. Not enough sandpaper

Bennett D Talk possession all you want. He can't score and has a lot of the same DNA as Josefeson. Should think about a career in Europe also. - 24 goals in almost 200 career NHL games says it all.

DSP and Kalinin D Whatever, who even cares.

Fiddler D Useless and strange acquisition. With the glut of 4th line centers we could've used this season this addition made ZERO sense. So the grade partially is on management. The only reason I didn't give an F is cause he returned an asset.

Cammalleri F The most disappointing performance of the year goes to.... Mike - Mike barely eeked out Cory for Most Disappointing Player Award.

Josefeson F Should not have been extended

Noesen - Incomplete

Greene B Greene can still do it all. Not a high end guy but just cornerstone that every team needs. This was probably not Greene's best year but he is still the best all around player on the team in my opinion

Merrill - C+/B His game is coming along nicely and I expect it to continue to refine. His play was fantastic for large chunks of this season. As good if not better than ANY D man on the team.

Severson C- I expected this season to be a little bit of rocky road for him - But his defensive game progression is getting to be cause for concern. I don't think he is far enough along as he should be in his own zone.

Lovejoy C- was asked to do way more than he is capable of. Not his fault. He's better than this board gives him credit for

Moore D speed and shot are there but he's just not a good defenseman and I don't think he'll ever be. Josefson, Benett and Moore would be fantastic in the KHL.

Schnieder F Absolutely brutal this season
Kinkaid C - Backup did his job - Whatever.

Coaching staff - The worst NJ has ever had. No grade for the shortbus kids...Only stickers of smiley faces to put on their helmets for the bus ride.

The Kids Don't get judged on the same scale as established NHL players. A guy that was in Junior last year or in high school 2 years ago shouldn't be judged against NHL regulars.

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Shero: B-, the Quincey return was awful
Hynes: D-, no adjustments made when they should've been made but weeks after they should've been made
Nas: F
Ward: F

Zajac B+
Henrique D, sure he scored 20 but can anyone actually say he had a good year? He's a ghost 75% of the time
Palmieri B+
Cammalleri F, can the tank really be empty just like that? 1 goal since January? Hooray for two more years...
Hall A-, not sure what else he could've done with the supporting cast or lack thereof
Zacha C
Bennett B-, deserved better linemates and more minutes, produced when not riding the pine despite not a lot of points
Blandisi C+, the offense is there, he earned minutes at the end of the year
Josefson C-, can't stay healthy unfortunately
Noesen C+ worth having him in a bottom 6 role
DSP D, just a bad player this year
Coleman D, meh all around
Lappin D, expected a bit more but disappeared
JQ C+, like his game, would like to see more mins given next year
Pietila D
Fiddler F, total disappointment
PAP C, had he not gotten dinged up probably could've gotten a better return
Kalinin: F, vaya con dios
Wood B, speed but brain of a potato

Greene C, down year by his standards
Lovejoy F, ZERO offense and really not a good year defensively
Stollery C, surprisingly not bad
Moore B, outside of Severson he's the only guy who has any offensive ability and he's solid in OT
Severson C, ups and downs but young enough to hopefully overcome defensive shortcomings, consistency will be huge
Santini C+, decent when given a shot to play
Jon Merrill C+ if he can stay healthy he's shown he belong in the middle pairing or at the very least the bottom pairing
Prout F, would've rather had literally ANY draft pick, not sure why he's here
Quincey C, should've gotten a much better return but wasn't horrible this year aside from always screening the goalie
Auvitu C-, would've liked to see him play more, has offensive game but often looked like a pylon defensively

Schneider C-, bad year, no way around it
Kinkaid B-, proved he can be a solid backup. Too much inconsistency though, plays great one game then horrible the next

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Zajac B Loved his bounceback early, important part of the team, still would like to see some scoring from him.
Henrique C Obviously a down year, but I think his less tangible contributions are underrated.
Palmieri B+ Maybe the only player who almost lived up to expectations
Cammalleri D-
Hall B Great player. Wish he was a bit more heady and didn't get himself almost killed. Hope the knee isn't a sign of things to come.
Zacha C+ A 19yrold rookie? I'm thrilled with his performance.
Bennett C Came on better as the season wore on.
Blandisi B- Promising
Josefson C Same old story.
Noesen B- Looked good for a free pickup. Great hands.
DSP F
Coleman C I actually like this guy's game as an AHLer. It would be great if he can step up to the next level.
Lappin C Good effort level.
JQ B- Promising
Pietila C-
Fiddler D-
PAP C up, down.
Wood B Lots to learn, but the only reason to watch some nights. Kid is a gem.

Greene C Sad watching him run around with Lovejoy
Lovejoy F
Stollery C Actually liked his game.
Moore D+ 10 goals, can lug puck, threat in OT. Disaster as a Dman.
Severson C Loved his play sometimes. Hated his play sometimes. Hope he'll bounceback, but he really had some Moore moments.
Santini B- Solid. Promising.
Jon Merrill C+ Good/great when paired with Santini. A horror show with Prout or other garbage.
Prout F+
Quincey C-
Auvitu C+

Schneider D- All of his shortcomings (rebound control, game control, mental game) exposed in spades. The difference between a bubble playoff team and 3rd worst in the league.
Kinkaid B

Shero: D+ The Boucher show was weird. Noesen was a good pickup. Penguin fascination is troubling. Lovejoy was terrible. Prout? Not enough movement at deadline.
Hynes: D

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Palmieri B+ - I always expect a player to be lazy after signing a contract - Palmieiri was not. I thought that was happening at the beginning of the year when he was invisible but once he found his groove he was our best forward.

Parenteau C+ almost a B - Waiver wire pickup + returned assets + led the team in goals for a period of time. Very pleased with P.A. He is what he is but that was very useful to us.

Zajac C Just as expect - Nothing more, nothing less

Hall C- The fact that Palmieri was our best forward says something about Hall in my opinion. Hall's game was an overall disappointment to me. Sure there were lots of positives but I don't believe this a game changing forward. He's a good cog. His passing ability is elite, his 2 way game sucks, his scoring touching is average and most disappointing he doesn't appear to be all the smart of a player - Coming to a new team brings challenges, and obviously the trade was difficult for Hall so I'd like to see if he becomes more comfortable in year 2. I'd be willing to hold off on judgement. But this year was a performance I would not write home about.

Henrique C- He probably performed exactly what he is, a 20-20 guy, but he was slightly disappointing to me this season. The effort and drive seemed lacking. Not enough sandpaper

Bennett D Talk possession all you want. He can't score and has a lot of the same DNA as Josefeson. Should think about a career in Europe also. - 24 goals in almost 200 career NHL games says it all.

DSP and Kalinin D Whatever, who even cares.

Fiddler D Useless and strange acquisition. With the glut of 4th line centers we could've used this season this addition made ZERO sense. So the grade partially is on management. The only reason I didn't give an F is cause he returned an asset.

Cammalleri F The most disappointing performance of the year goes to.... Mike - Mike barely eeked out Cory for Most Disappointing Player Award.

Josefeson F Should not have been extended

Noesen - Incomplete

Greene B Greene can still do it all. Not a high end guy but just cornerstone that every team needs. This was probably not Greene's best year but he is still the best all around player on the team in my opinion

Merrill - C+/B His game is coming along nicely and I expect it to continue to refine. His play was fantastic for large chunks of this season. As good if not better than ANY D man on the team.

Severson C- I expected this season to be a little bit of rocky road for him - But his defensive game progression is getting to be cause for concern. I don't think he is far enough along as he should be in his own zone.

Lovejoy C- was asked to do way more than he is capable of. Not his fault. He's better than this board gives him credit for

Moore D speed and shot are there but he's just not a good defenseman and I don't think he'll ever be. Josefson, Benett and Moore would be fantastic in the KHL.

Schnieder F Absolutely brutal this season
Kinkaid C - Backup did his job - Whatever.

Coaching staff - The worst NJ has ever had. No grade for the shortbus kids...Only stickers of smiley faces to put on their helmets for the bus ride.

The Kids Don't get judged on the same scale as established NHL players. A guy that was in Junior last year or in high school 2 years ago shouldn't be judged against NHL regulars.

Just curious, What about zacha?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Just curious, What about zacha?

I wouldn't give a grade to a 19 year old rookie kicking off his Pro career but I was pleased with Zacha. I would've like to see a few more points but it's largely irrelevant in the context of this team.

I was pleased that he showed moments of dominance. His two way game is better than I expected it to be. I expect Zacha to use his size and shot a little more next season and be overall more assertive.

I think the most important thing is to see solid progress from year to year 3. I'd say I was encouraged....More encouraged with Santini though ;)

brule2000

Jan 9, 2006
I'm going to be interested to see where Dean Lombardi surfaces next. He seemed so much a fit for the Devils for a decade or more but at the time Lou was pushed aside appeared unattainable.

Shero was among the top two available names in 2015 but his philosophy comes from a quite different direction. A willingness to stay the course in so far as maintaining the importance of defensive integrity could have seen the Devs make the playoffs this year.

Of course the overhaul of the team is aimed at winning playoff games a few years down the line and it would be folly to change course now but the new route is that favoured by the vast majority of the league and is very much that of following what works elsewhere and will rely on matching teams for talent: never something the Devils have been able to do before.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm going to be interested to see where Dean Lombardi surfaces next. He seemed so much a fit for the Devils for a decade or more but at the time Lou was pushed aside appeared unattainable.

Shero was among the top two available names in 2015 but his philosophy comes from a quite different direction. A willingness to stay the course in so far as maintaining the importance of defensive integrity could have seen the Devs make the playoffs this year.

Of course the overhaul of the team is aimed at winning playoff games a few years down the line and it would be folly to change course now but the new route is that favoured by the vast majority of the league and is very much that of following what works elsewhere and will rely on matching teams for talent: never something the Devils have been able to do before.

I wonder how safe Jarmo's job is in Columbus. Same for Snow in Brooklyn.

Other than that, I just don't see where he will end up off the top of my head. He'll probably end up joining a team in an advisor role temporarily until a real job opens up.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wonder how safe Jarmo's job is in Columbus. Same for Snow in Brooklyn.

Other than that, I just don't see where he will end up off the top of my head. He'll probably end up joining a team in an advisor role temporarily until a real job opens up.

Both of their jobs seem safe to me. I think Jarmo was extended before this season and if he was on the hot seat, their year probably at least turned the heat down by quite a bit, I'd have to imagine.

Snow seems like he would have and should have been gone a half a decade ago. He's the fourth longest tenured GM in the league right now. He was hired a few months after the Kings hired Lombardi to be their GM. While I don't know if it was really 10 years, I have read that Wang did give him an extension of ''At least 5 years'' (I believe that was the quote or something like it) as a parting gift before he left.

Chevy's seat should be blazing hot and with some more coals being thrown on it up in Winnipeg. He's been there for 6 years and they've had less success than an expansion team does after 6 years, and while they did move to Winnipeg in 2011, they weren't exactly an expansion team. He's also retaining Paul Maurice. Sounds like tanking to me.

Lombardi might be like Shero, where he has to sit out as GM for a year and then gets hired next offseason when something becomes available. I can't even believe Sakic got retained AND the head coach after the year Colorado had. I figure there's a chance that one of these middling guys might be let go if their team can hire Lombardi.

Lou's Koolaid

I live here
Jan 12, 2007
KWT660
Haha nobody gave BLJ higher than an F! If the team wasn't so bad he wouldn't be everyone's punching bag. Really great guy off the ice. Would like to see him on the MSG networks still but, not playing hockey.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Haha nobody gave BLJ higher than an F! If the team wasn't so bad he wouldn't be everyone's punching bag. Really great guy off the ice. Would like to see him on the MSG networks still but, not playing hockey.

I know it's only been like 3 or 4 years and not a decade or two, but he's easily the worst defenseman we've had in a full time role since 2013 Bryce Salvador. The only worse defenseman than him that we've had in a full time role in the last couple decades was the 2014 Bryce Salvador. And Salvador was 38 and probably shouldn't have been playing anymore.

Lovejoy is only 32 and I'm not sure what happened. He's bad at literally everything hockey related. You can't argue that he was good at anything last year. Not even 1 on 1, which I've seen argued several times. Lovejoy is BAD at hockey in the year 2017.

Hopefully just a bad season, but these types of defensemen don't age very well and tend to be useless sooner than later.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Zajac - A- Good bounce back season. Maybe the only guy on the ice that played hard every night. But no one deserves an A

Henrique - C Playing out of position but the coasting and getting out of the D-zone are real issues with him. Somehow still ends up on the scoresheet

Palmieri - B A tale of two halves.

Cammalleri - F Had about 5 good games this year and looked over the hill in the other 77.

Hall - B- Some of his numbers are suffering from playing with guys who aren’t as talented, but can be accused of taking some nights off. I thought I would see more of the guy from the first 10 games.

Zacha - C- He shows signs of why he was the #6 pick, but is clueless where to be on the ice when he doesn’t have the puck. I worry that Hynes isn’t going to teach him properly

Bennett - C Best possession player but snakebitten. Showed some of his upside late in the season. Not a bad pickup off the scrapheap. If he can pot 15 next year, that would earn him at least a B+

Blandisi - B- Still has issues but is cleaning them up. Great offensive instincts.

Wood - B Pretty good for a kid who's pretty much right out of high school. Very raw, but provides on ice leadership that is sorely missing from this team.

PAP - B Got more offense than we expected but a train wreck defensively.

Josefson - D Can you stay healthy? 4th liner on a skill team.

Noesen - C Not bad for a guy off the street. Bernier-lite

DSP - F Clueless and unskilled. Maybe should get traded every season. Seems it’s the only way he does anything useful

Coleman - D- AHL depth

Lappin - D AHL depth

Greene - C- He’s starting to get long in the tooth and had some nights where he was the worst player on the ice. It doesn’t help he’s got to carry the load because all of his D-partners are pretty much terrible.

Lovejoy - F This guy is just ****ing terrible.

Quincey - D He sucks but at least looked competent in the O-zone

Moore - F 11 goals or not, the guy is the ****ing Tasmanian devil in the D-zone and can’t drive the play in the O-zone. Just ****ing chaos.

Severson - C He’s coming around. Still has to be stronger on his skates and keep his damn stick on the ice. The +/- seems to be an aberration considering what he brings.

Santini - B- Tough assignment and handled it well. I guess he’s here to stay even though he could use the time to dominate in the AHL.

Jon Merrill - C- Had some good nights that showed why he was a high 2nd round pick but there were nights where he looked like AHL fodder.

Prout - F They traded for this guy?

Auvitu - D Started out well then just folded.

Schneider - D- I’m sorry, but this year is a total bust for him. The only reason he doesn’t get an F is that the D in front of him is garbage and can’t stop the cross ice pass which exposes his lack of athleticism.

Kinkaid - B- Not as many softies as last year and had a great save % for a backup

Coaching - F This is one of the worst staffs in the league. They can’t even teach these guys basic fundamentals.

Shero - D That trade for Prout was mind boggling. Overestimated the talent of multiple defensive players. Hynes should have been fired for 2 2-month swoons where they looked like a ****ing minor league team. Misallocated talent which may make Albany lose out on the playoffs preventing young guys from earning more big time game experience. His ass needs to be on fire next year if this team does not improve.

I think this is a very fair and correct assessment of the team and management.
Had I done this rating the first season of Hynes and players the rankings would be higher
That for me is a disappointment​.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad